“My Partner”

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:14 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh
Canada

Re: “My Partner”

Post by FreeSocrates! » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:43 pm

LTO wrote:When I meet someone with a North American accent I always assume they are Canadian, or at least that's what I say, because if you call an American a Canadian they just say 'no, I'm from the US' and the conversation moves on. But if you call a Canadian an American, they whine like little girls for 15 minutes then do another 30 minute tirade on how they are Americans (but not USanians) too.


Lol. It's true. I know because I do it.

:dm:

Some Americans also put Canadian flags on their backpacks when they travel.

Some Americans also think that we don't like them because we don't like to be mistaken for them; which isn't true.
Last edited by FreeSocrates! on Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
flying chicken
Expatriate
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 5:51 am
Reputation: 0

Re: “My Partner”

Post by flying chicken » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:44 pm

LTO wrote:
ali baba wrote:Like if you met someone with a N American accent and assumed they were American. A Canadian might find that offensive. Ditto Kiwis and Aussies.
When I meet someone with a North American accent I always assume they are Canadian, or at least that's what I say, because if you call an American a Canadian they just say 'no, I'm from the US' and the conversation moves on. But if you call a Canadian an American, they whine like little girls for 15 minutes then do another 30 minute tirade on how they are Americans (but not USanians) too.
True to my experience. I guess pride taken the best of them, *shrug*
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
User avatar
ali baba
Expatriate
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 am
Reputation: 34

Re: “My Partner”

Post by ali baba » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:47 pm

LTO, Canada is very much an auxiliary of the USA. The economies are thoroughly integrated and Canada has no option of developing an independent foreign policy with the world's superpower bearing down on it.

Not that I care but if they're going to get butt hurt over it.....
Scarier than malaria.
tuk-tukfish
Tourist
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:48 am
Reputation: 0

Re: “My Partner”

Post by tuk-tukfish » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:54 pm

"Significant other", or "so" as it's termed is worse. Worst still is: "We're pregnant!"
flying chicken
Expatriate
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 5:51 am
Reputation: 0

Re: “My Partner”

Post by flying chicken » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:55 pm

ali baba wrote:LTO, Canada is very much an auxiliary of the USA. The economies are thoroughly integrated and Canada has no option of developing an independent foreign policy with the world's superpower bearing down on it.

Not that I care but if they're going to get butt hurt over it.....
Let me guess, you are a Canadian. Your countrymen done no shit of those who are in need of helps, but sprouting with envy, hence being anti-american is your (polite) way of getting your point across. Shit getting old man.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: “My Partner”

Post by StroppyChops » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:56 pm

ali baba wrote:LTO, Canada is very much an auxiliary of the USA. The economies are thoroughly integrated and Canada has no option of developing an independent foreign policy with the world's superpower bearing down on it.

Not that I care but if they're going to get butt hurt over it.....
China is bearing down on Canada? The bastards!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
flying chicken
Expatriate
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 5:51 am
Reputation: 0

Re: “My Partner”

Post by flying chicken » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:58 pm

By the way, I have no problem breaking dropping 10 thousands of bombs dropped in Cambodia killing the innocent. I let it go. What I worried is NOW this lapdog government.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
User avatar
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:14 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh
Canada

Re: “My Partner”

Post by FreeSocrates! » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:02 pm

flying chicken wrote:
ali baba wrote:LTO, Canada is very much an auxiliary of the USA. The economies are thoroughly integrated and Canada has no option of developing an independent foreign policy with the world's superpower bearing down on it.

Not that I care but if they're going to get butt hurt over it.....
Let me guess, you are a Canadian. Your countrymen done no shit of those who are in need of helps, but sprouting with envy, hence being anti-american is your (polite) way of getting your point across. Shit getting old man.
The majority of Canadians aren't Anti-American; they just don't like it when you confuse it because culturally and politically we are quite different.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
flying chicken
Expatriate
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 5:51 am
Reputation: 0

Re: “My Partner”

Post by flying chicken » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:18 pm

How often do you read various forums when online? Canuck are full of themselves. For example hockey, but how many of those is in the NBA or HFL (forgot the acronym, but it's hockey) get their fame. One of best my friends is a Canadian too, and we are cool, and when 'we go for it we do it.' But he has a family now and so do I.

My final question to you is; why did the American government are silence and stuff. Forget the American bashing, people like us trying to figure out what are those fuckers up to....if you know what I mean.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 9:04 pm
Reputation: 1
Location: Phnom Penh
Australia

Re: “My Partner”

Post by Mrs Stroppy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:34 pm

terrifiedanimal wrote:I don't mind it when gays use the term partner, but I secretly feel a little bad for them for having to resort to such a poor description of their commitment to each other.

How about when long-term couples who have children and/or share major life-long commitments like owning a home together, refer to their spouse as their "boyfriend" or "girlfriend". The term is suitable for teenagers or casual dating, but to me, it sounds too frivolous for a committed couple who're raising kids or who have major, long-term commitments together.

I have a relative who has been living with the same man for 12 years and has two kids by him and refers to him as her boyfriend. Grow the fuck up! You didn't meet yesterday and you're way beyond dating, so let's use labels that hold a little context for a change.
I have to agree, when SC and I first stated living together in our 30s we used the term partner as boyfriend felt like being a teenager again!
Using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anchor Moy, BizReg, Dr. Ifter, explorer, Google [Bot], IraHayes and 369 guests