New Section Suggestions?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 6:13 am
Karma: 0
Great Britain

Re: New Section Suggestions?

Postby EdinWigan » Sun May 25, 2014 1:36 pm

EdinWigan wrote:There seems a lot of recent talk about the Pro's and Con's of avatars that are not appropriate to be shown on a screen in the workplace. I can see how members who maybe work in communal offices in companies or even schools may not wish to have bouncing buttocks on their screen. I am of the mind that a small button would allow the member viewing to switch between the intended avatar and a generic forum avatar of say, the very cool, CEO Logo.

This option would allow those who need to be a little discrete during working hours to do so, while not depriving those prepubescent members for their hourly fix of Pseudo-Sex. The later, of course, viewing this on a large screen with a keyboard covered in hairs, I bet!

:beer2: I do like this icon


Just am idea
If there has to be a negative on CEO, it is that fantastic ideas can sometimes be lost, due to the shear amount of excellent traffic on this new and exciting forum. This is not the case on some other forums, where the most bland of subject, the more unworthy of ideas can be micro analysed in minute detail, for 10 or 15 pages

:popcorn:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 8529
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Karma: 150
Australia

Re: New Section Suggestions?

Postby StroppyChops » Sun May 25, 2014 2:10 pm

Username Taken wrote:I believe StroppyChops is working on it. Might take a few months though.
LOL! Gaw! Caw! Gore! Core! Ngo! Yeah, might take a while...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
User avatar
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4183
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Karma: 6
United States of America

Re: New Section Suggestions?

Postby OrangeDragon » Sun May 25, 2014 3:07 pm

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Could the "Questions about the move" section be expanded to a "Questions about the move: and any other questions"
We don't currently have a General Q&A section, so there's no proper place for someone to ask "where can I buy X", or "what's the cheapest place I can get Y". Barnyard caters to some questions, Cambodian culture to others (language/culture) and Questions about the move is good for newbies, but there is no section to ask, well, general questions. And we know there are a lot of those? Where should they be posted? In the General Chatter? Motorcycle talk, buying mops talk etc... Where does it all go?

I'm actually against making too many sections as then most of them end up dormant, but I do think we need something regarding more general questions.
This subject has come up with us running the site as well... here are my thoughts:
In general i don't like general q/a sections. Mostly because they're redundant. As you pointed out, a lot of themes are already compartmentalized... meaning that's where their questions should go. And, anything more general... should as you say be posted in general. Be it a question, at conversation topic, whatever.

Having a section just for questions only divides the content unnecessarily.
User avatar
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 6:13 am
Karma: 0
Great Britain

Re: New Section Suggestions?

Postby EdinWigan » Sun May 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Although I sit in the no need to have 'Tit's' bouncing all over my publicly viewable screen camp. I just disclose the evidence of the emergence of many smiling faces, in response to a pair of 'Jiggling Jugs'

http://www.edisproduction.de/2014/05/22 ... encounter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although, I am unsure of how many of those attracted, can actually type. Maybe some pairs of Aqua-Google-Glasses maybe required.
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
User avatar
General Mackevili
GONK
Posts: 12064
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Karma: 126
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: New Section Suggestions?

Postby General Mackevili » Sun May 25, 2014 9:05 pm

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Could the "Questions about the move" section be expanded to a "Questions about the move: and any other questions"
We don't currently have a General Q&A section, so there's no proper place for someone to ask "where can I buy X", or "what's the cheapest place I can get Y". Barnyard caters to some questions, Cambodian culture to others (language/culture) and Questions about the move is good for newbies, but there is no section to ask, well, general questions.
Amen. I'll see if I can change that right now on my own without bringing down the whole site.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Looking for the best deals on hotels and guesthouses in Cambodia?

Book through Agoda:

Phnom Penh
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Kampot
Koh Rong
User avatar
General Mackevili
GONK
Posts: 12064
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Karma: 126
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: New Section Suggestions?

Postby General Mackevili » Sun May 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: We don't currently have a General Q&A section, so there's no proper place for someone to ask "where can I buy X", or "what's the cheapest place I can get Y".
Ok. Changed it to "Ask the Expats (General Q&A)"

I think it's especially important for new members who sign up to be able to easily/quickly find the right place to start asking their random questions.

*And before I forget to mention it, we owe credit to someone for coming up with that. I honestly forget who, so come take credit if you want!

As always, thanks for the suggestions and ideas, everyone! !
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Looking for the best deals on hotels and guesthouses in Cambodia?

Book through Agoda:

Phnom Penh
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Kampot
Koh Rong
red dragon
Tourist
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:39 pm
Karma: 0

Re: New Section Suggestions?

Postby red dragon » Mon May 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Not a new section but I'd like to see the mods doing what they're supposed to do and MODERATE and not behave like super posters whose opinions carry more weight because they wield the axe. If GM, OD etc want to join the debate I suggest they do it with other accounts. Many of us have moved over here because our opinion is not in with the clique over there but there's a danger this becomes just the same. All should be welcome as long as they follow the rules. The upside for GM and OD doing this is that other posters will hardly leave the site because they don't agree with their opinions. This is by no means a criticism of how CEO is currently run but a caution.
User avatar
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 6:13 am
Karma: 0
Great Britain

Re: New Section Suggestions?

Postby EdinWigan » Mon May 26, 2014 8:19 pm

red dragon wrote:Not a new section but I'd like to see the mods doing what they're supposed to do and MODERATE and not behave like super posters whose opinions carry more weight because they wield the axe. If GM, OD etc want to join the debate I suggest they do it with other accounts. Many of us have moved over here because our opinion is not in with the clique over there but there's a danger this becomes just the same. All should be welcome as long as they follow the rules. The upside for GM and OD doing this is that other posters will hardly leave the site because they don't agree with their opinions. This is by no means a criticism of how CEO is currently run but a caution.

I don't agree. I like the idea of the (Mods) running around the forums with the members. It seems more a gentle kind of limited self policing, than more traditional dictatorial style, so often seen elsewhere. Mods and especially Admin folk do important roles but let no one forget they are also here for the fun and banter, like the rest of us. I think it is one of the things that makes CEO different.

On the akin subject of the leaders of the former regime, infiltrating this forum, in the guise of sock covered hands. Well welcome to them also, please enjoy your visit. As long as folk abide by the rules and ethos of CEO, I for one am strongly in favour off allowing access to everyone.
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 8529
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Karma: 150
Australia

Re: New Section Suggestions?

Postby StroppyChops » Mon May 26, 2014 8:21 pm

^ and this is your second post? Quality.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
red dragon
Tourist
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:39 pm
Karma: 0

Re: New Section Suggestions?

Postby red dragon » Mon May 26, 2014 9:59 pm

StroppyChops wrote:^ and this is your second post? Quality.
If I was I mod I'd cut off your balls which is why we need rules for mods.


  • Advertisement
Booking.com

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Chatter”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mandy, Marcus-Darkus, shnoukieBRO, StroppyChops, Yahoo [Bot] and 115 guests