Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1143
Cambodia

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by Mishmash » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:09 pm

John Bingham wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:16 pm
People who post that you can't trust the locals, the place is shit, you'll lose, they won't pay you etc are usually just butt-hurt individuals who have messed up and now blame their inadequacies on others. When they get called out and call you naive or stupid for having a better experience than them you know you are dealing with someone who has serious personality issues. It's not much of a problem as you can just ignore them in real life, and they are bound to disappear soon.
Yeah - the miserable cunts can fuck right off JB :hattip:

I'm having the time of my life and so are my Khmer friends because we view it that way..

I had to build my business drawing only $250 to $350 a month for years with my wife and son until I hit Paydirt but enjoyed endless parties and built valuable long lasting friendships, during that period.

I know how the average Khmer feels - because I lived that way myself.

Now we are all modestly successful... and the parties go on!!

The only real advice is live within your means and enjoy today while working for a better tomorrow.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:43 pm
Reputation: 152
Great Britain

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by Chad Sexington » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:16 pm

stupid-barang wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:57 pm
John Bingham wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:16 pm
People who post that you can't trust the locals, the place is shit, you'll lose, they won't pay you etc are usually just butt-hurt individuals who have messed up and now blame their inadequacies on others. When they get called out and call you naive or stupid for having a better experience than them you know you are dealing with someone who has serious personality issues. It's not much of a problem as you can just ignore them in real life, and they are bound to disappear soon.
Not butt hurt, I work for myself. But in all seriousness, you feel like you can trust Khmer people? It would take very little money to buy your neighbors and find everything about you. Where you work, what time you leave, even get a phone call when you arrive/leave. Getting fake charges brought against you with very little money.

I am sorry but if you think your neighbors are your friends, you definitely are naive/ignorant/stupid. I call it like it is, and Khmer people will sell you up the river faster than a rabbit get fucked.

Have you ever had a problem with someone here? Probably not. How about accountability if you get your moto/car damaged. None whatsoever, if you get ran over/killed, the driver will keep going.

I am sure you are happy, smelling the roses and your perceived freedom, but I know what's real, and if a Khmer has a choice between a local and a foreigner, it's you that will lose. I never said just trying you will lose so don't misquote me, I said if it's you vs a local, there is only one outcome.

Yeah, I do have personality issues, I hate stupidity, and the reality is there are a lot of people, probably the majority that have no problem keeping their mouth shut when seeing/experiencing an injustice.
Ever wondered if the problem might be you? Everybody is stupid, everyone is out to fuck you over, maybe you just rub folk up the wrong way? Try smiling at folk, it works wonders.
Moaning because you daren’t criticize thr government, ffs leave the politics to the natives, we’re guests here remember. Who likes “foreigners” telling them how to run their country? Nobody, that’s who, no matter where you hail from.
Like the saying goes, if you don’t like it here, you’re welcome to leave.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11098
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2386
Tokelau

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by Anchor Moy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:47 pm

John Bingham wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:16 pm
People who post that you can't trust the locals, the place is shit, you'll lose, they won't pay you etc are usually just butt-hurt individuals who have messed up and now blame their inadequacies on others. When they get called out and call you naive or stupid for having a better experience than them you know you are dealing with someone who has serious personality issues. It's not much of a problem as you can just ignore them in real life, and they are bound to disappear soon.
@OP There are some very bitter expats posting their negative opinions here, presumably because they have had a bad experience (which might be their own fault btw), but IMO, as a generalisation, you won't find better people than the Cambodians.
However, you now have an overall view on positive and negative expat perspectives on living here. So yeah, weigh it up, it's not all roses, always challenging, but it's up to you to come and see if you like the lifestyle and decide if it's for you.
Check it out, and you can always change your mind and move on.
User avatar
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Reputation: 632
Kiribati

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by Phnom Poon » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:35 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:47 pm
@OP There are some very bitter expats posting their negative opinions here, presumably because they have had a bad experience (which might be their own fault btw), but IMO, as a generalisation, you won't find better people than the Cambodians.
it's a gross generalization, though I partially agree
I don't think 'bad experience' covers it though
many complaints are real; asinine driving, disorganization, laziness, lack of foresight, rubbish, selfishness, lack of empathy, corruption, nepotism, etc, etc
it's how you deal with those frustrations that makes the difference to your experience

.

monstra mihi bona!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11098
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2386
Tokelau

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by Anchor Moy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:59 pm

Phnom Poon wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:35 pm
Anchor Moy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:47 pm
@OP There are some very bitter expats posting their negative opinions here, presumably because they have had a bad experience (which might be their own fault btw), but IMO, as a generalisation, you won't find better people than the Cambodians.
it's a gross generalization, though I partially agree
I don't think 'bad experience' covers it though
many complaints are real; asinine driving, disorganization, laziness, lack of foresight, rubbish, selfishness, lack of empathy, corruption, nepotism, etc, etc
it's how you deal with those frustrations that makes the difference to your experience
I was responding to sour posts like this one below. As you say, depends on how you deal with it. Obviously I must be a flower smelling hippie. :OD: That's a plus.
The truth is that Cambodia is a shithole, why am I here (I can see you asking that in your head), well thats a discussion for another time, but I won't be here for that much longer. Khmer people can not be trusted, as a foreigner, if you ever have a problem with a Khmer, you will lose, no doubts about it. Things can be different if you want to pay. If a Khmer wants to fuck you, they definitely will (speaking from experience). If anyone tells you otherwise, they are either naive or just stupid or perhaps one of those flower smelling hippies that think everything is gravy b/c someone smiles in their face; a yes man/woman.
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 8190
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 3986
Yemen

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by John Bingham » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:09 pm

ting and tingmon wrote:If you don't agree with my opinion that every foreigner (locals are foreign to the OP) in this (shit) country is a cheating SOB, then you fail because I did psychology as part of my arts degree 15 years ago. Every time I go out the door they keep looking at me and trying to fuck me up and cheat me, I just grumble under my breath but I don't get why they keep laughing at me. Anyone who likes it here must be a naive backpacker or a psychopath with no sense of justice.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1143
Cambodia

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by Mishmash » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:22 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:59 pm

I was responding to sour posts like this one below. As you say, depends on how you deal with it. Obviously I must be a flower smelling hippie. :OD: That's a plus.
The truth is that Cambodia is a shithole, why am I here (I can see you asking that in your head), well thats a discussion for another time, but I won't be here for that much longer. Khmer people can not be trusted, as a foreigner, if you ever have a problem with a Khmer, you will lose, no doubts about it. Things can be different if you want to pay. If a Khmer wants to fuck you, they definitely will (speaking from experience). If anyone tells you otherwise, they are either naive or just stupid or perhaps one of those flower smelling hippies that think everything is gravy b/c someone smiles in their face; a yes man/woman.
You flower smelling hippy you :beer3:
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1143
Cambodia

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by Mishmash » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:25 pm

John Bingham wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:09 pm
ting and tingmon wrote:If you don't agree with my opinion that every foreigner (locals are foreign to the OP) in this (shit) country is a cheating SOB, then you fail because I did psychology as part of my arts degree 15 years ago. Every time I go out the door they keep looking at me and trying to fuck me up and cheat me, I just grumble under my breath but I don't get why they keep laughing at me. Anyone who likes it here must be a naive backpacker or a psychopath with no sense of justice.
Fuck me - where did you dig that derangement up from?
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 8190
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 3986
Yemen

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by John Bingham » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:29 pm

Mishmash wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:25 pm
John Bingham wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:09 pm
ting and tingmon wrote:If you don't agree with my opinion that every foreigner (locals are foreign to the OP) in this (shit) country is a cheating SOB, then you fail because I did psychology as part of my arts degree 15 years ago. Every time I go out the door they keep looking at me and trying to fuck me up and cheat me, I just grumble under my breath but I don't get why they keep laughing at me. Anyone who likes it here must be a naive backpacker or a psychopath with no sense of justice.
Fuck me - where did you dig that derangement up from?
Image

Is the depths of hell good enough for you?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
User avatar
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Reputation: 632
Kiribati

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by Phnom Poon » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:46 pm

Mishmash wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:22 pm
You flower smelling hippy you :beer3:
grammar fail?

.

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 286 guests