Moto-driving Young Man [email protected] Money Stop

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 3:25 am
Reputation: 3
United States of America

Re: Moto-driving Young Man [email protected] Money Stop

Post by nightmare.believer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:39 am

OrangeDragon wrote:did the number plate on his moto look real or fake? had he ran a light in the intersection?
Real. No. Never seen such a thing? Unfathomable? Apocryphal, by chance? 'll wait for you to google your new vocabulary word.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Moto-driving Young Man [email protected] Money Stop

Post by OrangeDragon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:45 am

Not apocryphal, but also not uncommon for young scoopy boys to be breaking the law in various ways. Including dodging the cops further back/breaking the law further back resulting in them radioing the guys in the direction he's headed.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 3:25 am
Reputation: 3
United States of America

Re: Moto-driving Young Man [email protected] Money Stop

Post by nightmare.believer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:51 am

OrangeDragon wrote:Not apocryphal, but also not uncommon for young scoopy boys to be breaking the law in various ways. Including dodging the cops further back/breaking the law further back resulting in them radioing the guys in the direction he's headed.
White long sleeve shirt and black slacks? Fits 10's of thousands of Khmer university students.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: Moto-driving Young Man [email protected] Money Stop

Post by StroppyChops » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:53 am

And dozens of Mormons, although granted the bike would be unusual if they were in uniform.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Moto-driving Young Man [email protected] Money Stop

Post by OrangeDragon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:00 am

nightmare.believer wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:Not apocryphal, but also not uncommon for young scoopy boys to be breaking the law in various ways. Including dodging the cops further back/breaking the law further back resulting in them radioing the guys in the direction he's headed.
White long sleeve shirt and black slacks? Fits 10's of thousands of Khmer university students.
It does, but they're pretty good at describing them... sometimes even walking out into the street and saying "that one" as he rides towards them.
User avatar
LTO
Expatriate
Posts: 1384
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:28 pm
Reputation: 7
Location: KH
Contact:

Re: Moto-driving Young Man [email protected] Money Stop

Post by LTO » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:50 am

nightmare.believer wrote:White long sleeve shirt and black slacks? Fits 10's of thousands of Khmer university students.
Not everybody sees all Khmers as looking alike.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
starkmonster
Expatriate
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:45 pm
Reputation: 22

Re: Moto-driving Young Man [email protected] Money Stop

Post by starkmonster » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:30 am

I would say getting slapped off your bike for trying to run from the police is nothing compared to the consequences of such an action in many other countries.

I haven't been shaken down by the traffic cops for years (i.e. trying to fine me for something I haven't done). I'm not saying it doesn't happen but with the new road laws and the significant number of people who insist on breaking them it's hardly necessary.

Also if you don't want to pay the bribe you can always follow your conscience, leave your vehicle there and spend the next half day at the station paying the official fine as that's the leverage they use to extract the bribe in the first place.
User avatar
dagenham
Expatriate
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 pm
Reputation: 2
Great Britain

Re: Moto-driving Young Man [email protected] Money Stop

Post by dagenham » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:11 am

starkmonster wrote:I would say getting slapped off your bike for trying to run from the police is nothing compared to the consequences of such an action in many other countries.

I haven't been shaken down by the traffic cops for years (i.e. trying to fine me for something I haven't done). I'm not saying it doesn't happen but with the new road laws and the significant number of people who insist on breaking them it's hardly necessary.

Also if you don't want to pay the bribe you can always follow your conscience, leave your vehicle there and spend the next half day at the station paying the official fine as that's the leverage they use to extract the bribe in the first place.
Stark-Dude, my good friend...I feel the same...I never get pulled over (and few attempts in 20 years of driving here) and the times they tried I simply and politely declined to stop. Even that hasn't happened for several years now - the weak baton waving and attempted body lunges. Of course, I wear a helmet (24/7), have mirrors, the road tax sticker, etc. and...even a Khmer license and insurance too! Although I definitely don't look like a student or Mormon...so...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
User avatar
dagenham
Expatriate
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 pm
Reputation: 2
Great Britain

Re: Moto-driving Young Man [email protected] Money Stop

Post by dagenham » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:16 am

StroppyChops wrote:And dozens of Mormons, although granted the bike would be unusual if they were in uniform.
Oh dear...how that would make my day...to see a bloodied and bruised Mormon - replete in black, white and splotches of bright red...crouching next to his broken bicycle with a fat cop looming overhead roaring at him in crude slang...

My oh my...poetry motionless and just the thought makes me tear up with joy....
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: Moto-driving Young Man [email protected] Money Stop

Post by StroppyChops » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:52 am

I live to serve!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arget, Bluenose, cautious colin, Cooldude, Google [Bot], jae, John Bingham, lagrange, Patcan, siliconlife, SINUS, Soriya and 326 guests