Metro/City Bus System

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Sailorman
Expatriate
Posts: 2321
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 6:32 am
Reputation: 0

Metro/City Bus System

Post by Sailorman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Anyone heard any word about Phnom Penh getting a municipal bus system? Yesterday I was driving down the road to Independence Beach in Snooky and there were over 20 city type bus's next to the road that had just been offloaded off a ship in the port. They all had Korean writing/advertising on their sides. I wish they would leave a couple in Snooky to maybe run from Victory Hill to the downtown beach and back maybe 7am to 2am? I can dream can't I? Next I'll wish they had a decent hospital in Snooky, but eventually it will. (Old American saying: "Wish in one hand a sh*t in the other and see which fills up first.")
clippy
Expatriate
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:12 pm
Reputation: 1

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by clippy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:32 pm

really? i heard there were to be three more bus routes in PP

a pickup truck songtow system works perfectly in Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Koh Samui and probably many other places. and Phillapines has the jeepney. I don't know why Cambodia never had something similar.
flying chicken
Expatriate
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 5:51 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by flying chicken » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:49 pm

Not long ago I was discussing with an acquaintance about having those pickup trucks like ones they have in Pattaya in Siem Reap. Though the idea was feasible and lucrative, but I think it will never be approved by the connected guesthouse and hotel owners, risk of getting beat up by the angry tuktuk and motodop mobs, bribery and so on.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Sailorman
Expatriate
Posts: 2321
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 6:32 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by Sailorman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:14 am

To run "Baht Bus's" you'd have to start out with actual Shotgun riders with Ak-47s for a while and/or be connected with the police/powers that be. Its a great idea, but corruption wins out and as usual, all over the country, and keeps Cambodia from being a first class tourist destination. Look at Angkor Wat as an example. Million and millions of dollars are taken in, but so little is spent on infrastructure, where does the money go? Look at the city parks in Singapore then look at the Cheesy restaurants, loos ,roads, etc at Angkor Wat.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:38 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by HotRecruiter » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:15 am

My friend rode the bus line from near the French Embassy to Chhbar Amphoeu for r1,500. Aircon and good in the rainy season, I guess, and cheaper than motodop or tuk-tuks.

Then he and his friend took a remorque-moto (like an open air, elongated tuk-tuk that can carry a dozen or more people on wooden planks for benches, but no canopy) from Chhbar Amphoeu to Takmau. I think r1,000. Lots of fun, sun, and smiles.

This was a daytime trip, and no rain, and I don't know how long they run til.
Drifter
Expatriate
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:21 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by Drifter » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:10 pm

clippy wrote:really? i heard there were to be three more bus routes in PP

a pickup truck songtow system works perfectly in Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Koh Samui and probably many other places. and Phillapines has the jeepney. I don't know why Cambodia never had something similar.
because cambodia is totally fucked up and rotten to the core.
and this because of greed and collective low-IQ.

this country is hopeless, if something ever works is because it's done by foreigners with money and brains.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 8151
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 2332
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by Duncan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:33 pm

Image
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by StroppyChops » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:28 pm

There was what appeared to be a town bus in TTP today - unfortunately the bastard had parked outside the Cellcard office at Psaar TTP and brought traffic to a standstill. It's bad enough with Chinese tour buses doing that, I hope domestic routes are not going to start that caper too.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by OrangeDragon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:37 am

Drifter wrote:
clippy wrote:really? i heard there were to be three more bus routes in PP

a pickup truck songtow system works perfectly in Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Koh Samui and probably many other places. and Phillapines has the jeepney. I don't know why Cambodia never had something similar.
because cambodia is totally fucked up and rotten to the core.
and this because of greed and collective low-IQ.

this country is hopeless, if something ever works is because it's done by foreigners with money and brains.
If you think so ill of the country, why are you here?

I agree with the sentiment that the tuktuks would block this... then again perhaps they're right to do so. we're talking about sinking an entire industry of small business owners that employs a large part of the population and required a fairly significant upfront investment on their part.

how many tuktuk drivers are there in phnom penh? what happens when 70% of them are unemployed? would it be trading travel convenience for a sudden surge in crime rates? making a major economic shift like that is a much more intricate decision than just "what would make my life easier".
Soi Dog
Expatriate
Posts: 2236
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 am
Reputation: 5

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by Soi Dog » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:06 am

OrangeDragon wrote: . then again perhaps they're right to do so. we're talking about sinking an entire industry of small business owners that employs a large part of the population and required a fairly significant upfront investment on their part.

how many tuktuk drivers are there in phnom penh? what happens when 70% of them are unemployed? would it be trading travel convenience for a sudden surge in crime rates? making a major economic shift like that is a much more intricate decision than just "what would make my life easier".
I propose that the entire potable water delivery system of government pipes and pumps and storage tanks be dismantled, and we then hire people to carry buckets of water from the Tonle Sap to each and every residence every day. The damn municipal water system is keeping thousands of people from being employed as water bucket deliverymen. Screw this "making life easier" crap

By the way, I brought up this bus subject last week in this brilliant and elequent thread:
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtop ... f=3&t=1594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndyKK, angsta, clutchcargo, lagrange, PSD-Kiwi, tathom, whatwat, xandreu and 283 guests