Metro/City Bus System

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 15
United States of America

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by OrangeDragon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:10 am

I'm not saying don't have one... I'm saying make it a gradual change with comprehensive adjustments to the tuktuk industry. There will always be demand for tuktuks if it's done right... just as there's still demand for cyclos. But you don't see them sitting on every corner.

Rather than yank the rug out from under the feet of an industry, step it back. Enforce special licensing to run tuktuks, fix the number, then step it back as you bring the transit system forward. Dropping an entire industry because you came up with a better idea without considering the impact that dropping it will have is economically and socially irresponsible.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1025
Australia

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by StroppyChops » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:11 am

The tuktuk drivers are a little more militant than they might appear. On several occasions when I've been driving our tuktuk another driver has come and asked whether it is just for my family and friends and stressed 'not for customers, yeah?' I'm not really sure I'd want to know the outcome of me driving it for profit, pretty sure it would at least involve damage to the tuktuk.

Mind you, when I play the "you wun tuktuk?" game with the other drivers, there's never a shortage of them climbing in for a quick spin around the block. Normally I ask them where they're from (and then tell them I have a sister from there) and ask them if they want to go to Killing Fields or Siem Reap ($20… good price, okay for you my friend special price $19) - never gets old.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
clippy
Expatriate
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:12 pm
Reputation: 1

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by clippy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:52 am

i think theres work for everyone, the tuk tuk drivers would become Songthaow drivers - yeah its a bigger investment but they would make more money. its just a bigger tuktuk that runs on a set route and lets people share, and there will still be people who want a door to door tuktuk ride.

in Bangkok, the building of the skytrain and underground hasn't killed the taxi or moto industry, they get another oportunity eg. people take a skytrain to the station near their apartment, and then jump on a moto for the last 1 or 2 kms home
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 15
United States of America

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by OrangeDragon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:01 pm

StroppyChops wrote:The tuktuk drivers are a little more militant than they might appear. On several occasions when I've been driving our tuktuk another driver has come and asked whether it is just for my family and friends and stressed 'not for customers, yeah?' I'm not really sure I'd want to know the outcome of me driving it for profit, pretty sure it would at least involve damage to the tuktuk.

Mind you, when I play the "you wun tuktuk?" game with the other drivers, there's never a shortage of them climbing in for a quick spin around the block. Normally I ask them where they're from (and then tell them I have a sister from there) and ask them if they want to go to Killing Fields or Siem Reap ($20… good price, okay for you my friend special price $19) - never gets old.
I had actually tossed around the idea of getting a "barangtuk" and diong weekends from the airport to the riverside. charging a premium for having a native english speaking driver/etc. the wife informed me that i'd be killed.

and I can understand it to some degree (though not the severity)... this is their livelihood. foreigners taking jobs away from locals gets shit on in any country. especially if it's the only job a lot of them can do and they've invested what would be 2 years worth of income (or more) to be able to do it.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1025
Australia

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by StroppyChops » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:57 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:...and I can understand it to some degree (though not the severity)... this is their livelihood. foreigners taking jobs away from locals gets shit on in any country.
Absolutely. Yet on the other hand wherever I've gone in the tuktuk I've been accepted in the brotherhood of tuktuk drivers. Usually because they're fascinated by a mini tuktuk and it's more entertaining to them than television to see a big barang driving one.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
clippy
Expatriate
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:12 pm
Reputation: 1

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by clippy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:58 am

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/chine ... ice-68841/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Chinese company will donate 100 buses to assist in the planned expansion of Phnom Penh’s public bus service from three to 10 lines next year, officials said Wednesday.

According to a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between City Hall and the local government of Zhengzhou, the capital of China’s Henan province, Chinese bus manufacturer Yutong will provide the buses, which the company values at $70,000 each.

Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Chreang Sophann, who signed the MoU on Tuesday, said the agreement was just the first step in acquiring the buses.

“We will ask for approval from the government and continue by making a request through the Ministry of Finance to the Chinese Embassy,” he said.

Ean Sokhim, director of Phnom Penh’s Autonomous Bus Transportation Authority, said the donated vehicles would be crucial to expanding the municipality’s fledgling public bus service.

Mr. Sokhim said the city currently had 44 buses running along its three lines, and a total of 350 buses would be needed to expand to the planned 10 lines next year.
Sailorman
Expatriate
Posts: 2321
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 6:32 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by Sailorman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:22 am

Those 44 bus's must have been some of the 30 I saw down by the Independence beach road (Snooky) last month that all had Korean advertising on the sides.

I wonder what the Vietnamese powers that be think about the Chinese "invasion?" 1) Taking over Ream Park. 2) One Billion dollar KO Pous Island project. 3) Proposed Iron ore project and 250 mile railroad to Ko Kong.4) Mega-Watt Chinese power plant down by Snooky. What else are the sneaky Chinese up to in the land-of-wonder? Next thing you know they will be putting in a Cambodian/Chinese airline that actually flies domestically and isn't a puppet of the Vietnamese.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 8151
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 2332
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by Duncan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:13 am

Sailorman wrote:Those 44 bus's must have been some of the 30 I saw down by the Independence beach road (Snooky)

last month that all had Korean advertising on the sides.

I wonder what the Vietnamese powers that be think about the Chinese "invasion?" 1) Taking over Ream Park. 2) One Billion dollar KO Pous Island project. 3) Proposed Iron ore project and 250 mile railroad to Ko Kong.4) Mega-Watt Chinese power plant down by Snooky. What else are the sneaky Chinese up to in the land-of-wonder? Next thing you know they will be putting in a Cambodian/Chinese airline that actually flies domestically and isn't a puppet of the Vietnamese.

Yep, 44 plus,, mobile advertising billboards, and no-one has taken up the opportunity of paying for the advertising space on the outside AND the inside of the buses. Makes the local tuk-tuk drivers look like smart business men if you do a comparison.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1025
Australia

Re: Metro/City Bus System

Post by StroppyChops » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:50 pm

Duncan wrote:Makes the local tuk-tuk drivers look like smart business men if you do a comparison.
That's gotta be a first.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post