Low stress work paying food and accommodation!!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Low stress work paying food and accommodation!!

Post by HappyChappy »

People of CEO!

I've done my teaching course and plan on moving to Cambodia in Jan, but before I embark on my teaching career I thought it would be cool to get a job in a hostel / hotel for a few months.

Something chill just meeting greeting people in the bar or reception, is that sort of work common place in Cambodia or am I best off putting the feelers out now??

I haven't had a holiday in a LONG time and want to relax a bit and have fun before I become a super responsible teacher (on weekdays).

Many thanks for your serious and helpful responses :D
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Low stress work paying food and accommodation!!

Post by Ghostwriter »

Sure, plenty of well paid positions of talking-with-the-people-in-lobbys around, and neverending opportunities to teach English.
Make sure you have a plan B though, just in case.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Just make sure you join the CPP first .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

HappyChappy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:07 pm I've done my teaching course and plan on moving to Cambodia in Jan, but before I embark on my teaching career I thought it would be cool to get a job in a hostel / hotel for a few months.

Something chill just meeting greeting people in the bar or reception, is that sort of work common place in Cambodia or am I best off putting the feelers out now??

I haven't had a holiday in a LONG time and want to relax a bit and have fun before I become a super responsible teacher (on weekdays).

Many thanks for your serious and helpful responses :D
That's why salaries are so low in Cambodia. People are prepared to work for very little.

How much employers are prepared to pay, is largely determined by how much previous employees were prepared to work for. If you work for food and accommodation, the next employee may be expected to do the same.

Some people in teaching jobs have been working for very little. Next you'll be asking why teachers salaries are so low.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
stupid-barang
Expatriate

Post by stupid-barang »

There is nothing low stress about talking to tourists. Something I can't stand is where I go somewhere and someone I don't know starts talking my fucking ear off.
Telling me their life story or expecting me to tell them mine.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Right, you think hospitality work is easy? As a hotel GM, I can tell you that it is anything but. I can also tell you that your attitude would probably not last very long in a hotel.
Splashback
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Splashback »

Working for a tiny salary and food and board is common enough, especially in Kampot and on the islands, plus bigger hostels in Siem Reap and in PP like Mad Monkey and Big Easy. See if Koh Rong have an FB page and join Phnom Penh Jobs Alert. You'll probably be serving beers and checking people in and out. If you can't arrange anything online, travel about for two weeks and ask around in areas you like.

You'll find something. Good luck.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

There’s also a few restaurants hiring foreigners. Not that uncommon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:36 am Right, you think hospitality work is easy? As a hotel GM, I can tell you that it is anything but. I can also tell you that your attitude would probably not last very long in a hotel.
How long would he las in an interview with you? 2 Mins?

It seems that a proper hotel is not where he should be looking. A flophouse backpacker dope smelling hovel seems to be the way to go.

But good luck to him...
Smoking Joe Conrad
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Smoking Joe Conrad »

Just get going and get a job. Why wait?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic