Living in South East Asia on $400 USD a month?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: living in SEA on 400USD$ a month?

Post by phuketrichard »

SPM wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:08 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:17 pm
....both children going to quality schools
What country? surely not international
MY daughters international school years 9-12 inn Thailand ran $12,000 /year ( 10 months)
Cambodia, oldest in International School (5 years old), youngest in Montessori but will move onto same schol as older sibling in a couple years so that will bump up the cost more. School fees increase as they move up in grades at the international school, but not as high as $12,000.
MY daughter spent 2 years at a Montessori school, ( $400/month) than moved to Dulwich at year 3 (now BIS) at 7,500/year till year 8 than moved to an American International 9-12 at $12,000 grand

The Northbridge, ( most expensive one in PP)
Registration $2,700
refundable $2,000

primary 1-6 $16-19,000
7-10 $20,000
11-12 $21,690

which one is urs at? What are uni plans?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Whenever these questions come up, the answer is always yes. I mean, you could theoretically live on $100 per month.

The question isn't 'can you', it's 'would you want to'.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

xandreu wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:24 pm Whenever these questions come up, the answer is always yes. I mean, you could theoretically live on $100 per month.

The question isn't 'can you', it's 'would you want to'.
the west isnt getting any cheaper.... Pension ages are rising,working hours longer, wages stagnant, dollar weakening and simple things like a pouch of rolling tobacco fetchs 80$AUD or a pint of beer close to 13$AUD

May as well just be a Hobo in SEA, makes more sense.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

stop smoking and buy a still from brewcan
i stopped smoking after 47 years so it is possible.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:15 pm stop smoking and buy a still from brewcan
i stopped smoking after 47 years so it is possible.
I don't smoke, but simple vices are expensive in OZ.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

everything is crazy expensive in oz it is true.
and the AUD is fucked.
Canada is very easy to get into though, and weed is legal there.
SPM
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by SPM »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:23 pm
MY daughter spent 2 years at a Montessori school, ( $400/month) than moved to Dulwich at year 3 (now BIS) at 7,500/year till year 8 than moved to an American International 9-12 at $12,000 grand

The Northbridge, ( most expensive one in PP)
Registration $2,700
refundable $2,000

primary 1-6 $16-19,000
7-10 $20,000
11-12 $21,690

which one is urs at? What are uni plans?
ISPP is even more expensive than Northbridge, for my 5 year old the starting rate was $18,000 per year + uniforms, books, field trips, and other expenses!!! And to be honest, I did not receive a lot of positive reports about the school when I was researching schools. She definitely isn't attending ISPP that's for sure, or Northbridge.

Uni plans? That's years away... but I have started a savings fund for my kids to attend uni back in my home country if they choose to, I won't force them to though, I didn't even finish high school but have done very well for myself, and my family.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:39 pm everything is crazy expensive in oz it is true.
and the AUD is fucked.
Canada is very easy to get into though, and weed is legal there.
OZ is stagnant.

The incentive to work is lacking, i am over it, the weak AUD means i got to work 25%-35% more for a similar trip abroad To SEA.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I had savings of $40k when i left Oz, the exchange was around $1.10 to the USD.
It went down into the $0.70's within a year.
So I am pretty well done with that shit.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

B1.Barang wrote:My hobby pay at least 500$ for his stay in 5 days in Srok Khmer! Have no idea about how much for comfortable live here for a month for barang!
I guess you have to put everything in your pay check and try it on.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holiday is different.

Group meals with missus and friends at Brooklyn Pizza, 3 Pigs, other restaurants, airplane flights to and from temple town, car travel, paying for new mattress and drawers, paying for electric for aircon and water, and of course, paying for the announcement and party.

All add up to high levels of spending.

Compared to Singapore, much less.

Not representative of ordinary daily or monthly spending. Expect higher levels of spending as pre-wedding pictures and ceremony time draws near.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic