Khmer440 co-founder Peter Hogan/Keeping_It_Riel Passes Away

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Khmer440 co-founder Peter Hogan/Keeping_It_Riel Passes Away

Post by OrangeDragon »

As from the other thread, the details are sketchy but it seems his wife found him in their home last night stating that he had fallen down. He was taken to Calmette hospital, where doctors were unsupportive of a recovery because he had a large amount of bleeding in his brain. Today she has confirmed via his twitter account that he has passed away from his condition.

He and I, as is well known, had our problems and our falling out. As he did with many other members of this and other forums, however I ask that you all let the past lie in the past and keep this thread respectful and decent. Rest in peace Pete.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Peter Hogan, known to many as KeepingItReal, passed toda

Post by Soi Dog »

Very sad news, and so unexpected. My condolences to his young wife.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

this is very shocking. as he had apparently so many plans and was young.

im giving only my view on things, the world and death.
some said, things should be deleted. I wouldn't agree, as history is history, and its always 'floating', created by developing thoughts and actions. we should never try to rewrite anything, erase partially or entirely delete.

perhaps one might ponder, if the stress in the recent days contributed. I don't believe in such things, I think there is a time and a fate and everything happening is that, as we have to strive and to grow on this. in good times and in bad times.

playboy will feel very very bad now. I don't think he should. even in contrary. it was good and imo helpful for KIRs soul, that this was addressed. if he regretted some things of his life, and pondered about them so shortly, it was a nice gesture from universe, imo. not many have the chance to speak out, to explain, to get deeper insight into their actions or clarify things even with 'enemies' - before they die. it is good and important to speak about everything. helpful for further journeys.

his death affects us all. whether we knew him personally or not. also we may get deeper insight on our actions, thoughts, us and others.

his soul is now for 46 or 47 days, I always forget, in some intermediate state.
it is said to be helpful, when everyone ponders about him and the relationship in this time and tries to deeply forgive by understanding another human, feeling mercy and empathy, and wish him an easy passage.
wanted to say.
Last edited by potty on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

I feel like we lost a long timer. Whether or not you were great friends, knew of him, or despised him.... he was one of us. He was a long-timer and hell, for better or worse, helped develop a community ( K440) where all of us could come together and call each other cunts. I appreciate that.

I don't think Peter wants to Rest in Peace. I think, wherever he is, he wants to rock out with his cock out and keep things going.

To Peter and his young wife.

I think the best thing anyone who knew him and knows his wife can do over the next few days is just be there for his wife. I know if I pass, I could give a shit less what anyone thinks of me. I would be worried about the condition of my Significant Other.

I think it would be beyond classy if CEO and K440 could come together off the books, non-event, and just be there for his young wife, who I am sure is a wreck right now. I couldn't imagine.

This shit fucking sucks man. Im outta here.

Edit- I know this shit just happened, but does anyone know what Peter's wishes were for a funeral? Did he want to go out Khmer style or have his body sent home for a funeral?

My wife and I would like to pay our respects, support his wife and let her know that she has a few people to talk to. Probably a whole bunch better than me, but hey. Respect.
Last edited by Sir_Quality_U_Feel on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Dude, you wrote his username wrong in the subject. keeping_it_riel, not "KeepingItReal".
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Rest in peace, KiR.

You were quite a character that rocked the expats' boat in Phnom Penh and beyond to their delight or vexation.
Will raise one for you, for a life lived and for things that won't happen now but will be lessons or inspiration for others.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

BOFH wrote:Dude, you wrote his username wrong in the subject. keeping_it_riel, not "KeepingItReal".
Fixed...
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

OrangeDragon wrote:
BOFH wrote:Dude, you wrote his username wrong in the subject. keeping_it_riel, not "KeepingItReal".
Fixed...
Riely?
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Not the time , nor the place. Come on man....
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

I feel for his wife, she must be devastated.

I have known Peter on forums since 2000 and in real life since about 2003. I would not have called Peter a good friend, but we were pleasant enough to each other.

Rest in Peace.

He did leave a lasting legacy in K440 and lasting memories with many, both good and bad. He was a person who was much talked about and someone who will be remembered in Cambodian expat folklore for quite a while to come. He was a true character.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic