It's just politics, man; nothing personal

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 3:25 am
Karma: 0
United States of America

Re: It's just politics, man; nothing personal

Postby nightmare.believer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:27 am

Born-Confused wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote: Take me for example. Politics here impact me, my life, my business, my family life, my extended family, etc. I have more than a visitors worth of vested interest in the success and growth of this country.
Yeah but most posters have much less at stake here than you, and therefore don't feel the need or purpose to get too involved in local politics. I can't imagine locals anywhere appreciating foreigners getting involved in their politics. The locals might tolerate anyone who agrees with their own personal views voicing an opinion, but God help you if cross the line and take a position contrary to theirs. Could get quite ugly for you.
I think that's the key - get involved at an arms length. I tried to show an interest in my former Khmer staffs' attitudes and ideals toward politics, and most if not all (and these were a very educated lot) were very coy about giving straight answers, and even told me to be very careful with what I say, not for fear for them, but for any eavesdroppers. I'm not paranoid, so didn't bother me, but it did bother them!
Is your avatar Jurgen Klinsmann? That's just plain weird, man.
User avatar
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:29 am
Karma: 0
Australia

Re: It's just politics, man; nothing personal

Postby Born-Confused » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:51 pm

nightmare.believer wrote: Is your avatar Jurgen Klinsmann? That's just plain weird, man.
Show some respect man - don't you know anything about the greatest Prime Minister Australia has ever had???
Let me help edumacate you :beer1:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1y1ez ... night_news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
User avatar
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Karma: 8
United States of America

Re: It's just politics, man; nothing personal

Postby OrangeDragon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:38 pm

nightmare.believer wrote: And there is not a single thing you can do about the political situation, and talking about it can only hurt you.
I disagree. Talking about it can influence others, others who DO have the ability to take direct/indirect action.
Soi Dog
Expatriate
Posts: 2236
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 am
Karma: 4

Re: It's just politics, man; nothing personal

Postby Soi Dog » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:44 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:
nightmare.believer wrote: And there is not a single thing you can do about the political situation, and talking about it can only hurt you.
I disagree. Talking about it can influence others, others who DO have the ability to take direct/indirect action.
As long as you keep in mind that some locals may take great offense at your political views, no matter how rationally and calmly you state those views, and such perceived offences can become explosively violent at the drop of a hat.

I have experienced this myself in Thailand. What I thought was a passing, inoffensive, calm, one minute conversation with an elderly Thai woman bus ticket vendor about red shirts/yellow shirts and the real meanings of democracy and monarchy quickly turned into a hasty retreat on my part, as she groped around her tiny shack for some sort of sharp object to impale me with while calling for the motodops outside to have a go at me.

I could be wrong. Maybe Khmers are not so touchy about such things? But I won't be too keen to find out.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 8743
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Karma: 187
Australia

Re: It's just politics, man; nothing personal

Postby StroppyChops » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:59 pm

nightmare.believer wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:^ just a little Orwellian don't you think, NB?
Not for SE Asia.
Yeah, fair point.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 3:25 am
Karma: 0
United States of America

Re: It's just politics, man; nothing personal

Postby nightmare.believer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:46 pm

Born-Confused wrote:
nightmare.believer wrote: Is your avatar Jurgen Klinsmann? That's just plain weird, man.
Show some respect man - don't you know anything about the greatest Prime Minister Australia has ever had???
Let me help edumacate you :beer1:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1y1ez ... night_news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
World-class footballer, current US soccer team coach, AAAAAAAAAND current prime minister of Australia?!?!

You just blew my mind.
User avatar
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 9:04 pm
Karma: 0
Location: Phnom Penh
Australia

Re: It's just politics, man; nothing personal

Postby Mrs Stroppy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:56 pm

Born-Confused wrote:
nightmare.believer wrote: Is your avatar Jurgen Klinsmann? That's just plain weird, man.
Show some respect man - don't you know anything about the greatest Prime Minister Australia has ever had???
Let me help edumacate you :beer1:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1y1ez ... night_news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolute gold!
Using Tapatalk
User avatar
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Karma: 8
United States of America

Re: It's just politics, man; nothing personal

Postby OrangeDragon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:50 am

Soi Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:
nightmare.believer wrote: And there is not a single thing you can do about the political situation, and talking about it can only hurt you.
I disagree. Talking about it can influence others, others who DO have the ability to take direct/indirect action.
As long as you keep in mind that some locals may take great offense at your political views, no matter how rationally and calmly you state those views, and such perceived offences can become explosively violent at the drop of a hat.

I have experienced this myself in Thailand. What I thought was a passing, inoffensive, calm, one minute conversation with an elderly Thai woman bus ticket vendor about red shirts/yellow shirts and the real meanings of democracy and monarchy quickly turned into a hasty retreat on my part, as she groped around her tiny shack for some sort of sharp object to impale me with while calling for the motodops outside to have a go at me.

I could be wrong. Maybe Khmers are not so touchy about such things? But I won't be too keen to find out.
Yeah, you certainly have to choose your audience. No strangers, people who will likely listen to what you're saying rather than have a knee jerk defensiveness.


  • Advertisement
Booking.com

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Chatter”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lipservice and 145 guests