Introduce Yourself

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
aussieexpat1068
Tourist
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:47 pm
Karma: 0
Australia

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby aussieexpat1068 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:41 am

Thanks to all for the "Welcome's".

Wow. Urban Dictionary sure has a unique description of "Gas bagging" which couldn't be further than the truth when speaking about Australian slang. Who ever the author of such a definition, sure had time on his hands and his hand on something else that would be attached to the definition if you were to believe it.

"Gas bagging" in Aussie slang is simply talking amongst friends or in some other circles similar to "Shooting the breeze". It's originality is unknown but it has no other meaning. So in reply to one post suggesting we love doing it, I can only say thanks for the compliment even if your were possibly insinuating something else.

As for the flag. It's the Eureka Flag which was born from a part of early Australian history associated with the Eureka Stockade. It is generally recognized as Australia's first flag beneath the then imposed Union Jack and often symbolizes a continued dislike against the collective tyranny of the then and now reigning powers to be. Australian MC's, Unions and individuals frequently use it now to continue to display their dislike to hidden corruption or simply everyday constrictive laws such as licensing and taxes which is where it all stemmed from on Australia's gold fields back in the 1800's.

Cheers
User avatar
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 7:25 am
Karma: 2

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Satiated Parrot » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:17 am

aussieexpat1068 wrote:Thanks to all for the "Welcome's".

Wow. Urban Dictionary sure has a unique description of "Gas bagging" which couldn't be further than the truth when speaking about Australian slang. Who ever the author of such a definition, sure had time on his hands and his hand on something else that would be attached to the definition if you were to believe it.

"Gas bagging" in Aussie slang is simply talking amongst friends or in some other circles similar to "Shooting the breeze". It's originality is unknown but it has no other meaning. So in reply to one post suggesting we love doing it, I can only say thanks for the compliment even if your were possibly insinuating something else.

As for the flag. It's the Eureka Flag which was born from a part of early Australian history associated with the Eureka Stockade. It is generally recognized as Australia's first flag beneath the then imposed Union Jack and often symbolizes a continued dislike against the collective tyranny of the then and now reigning powers to be. Australian MC's, Unions and individuals frequently use it now to continue to display their dislike to hidden corruption or simply everyday constrictive laws such as licensing and taxes which is where it all stemmed from on Australia's gold fields back in the 1800's.

Cheers
Unfortunately, all it stands for nowadays is union corruption.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
User avatar
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:10 pm
Karma: 0
Location: Nung river
Libya

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby The Add Jay » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:35 am

fucking Gin Jockey's go squander your saved pennies on some frumpy battle ax at rose bar.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.


Ordinem ad Imperium
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 5544
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Karma: 104
Location: OgooBoogoo
Palestine

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby vladimir » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:02 pm

The Add Jay wrote:fucking Gin Jockey's go squander your saved pennies on some frumpy battle ax at rose bar.
I wouldn't describe the guys at Rose Bar as battle axes, but I defer to your better knowledge.
Oh, Carruthers, if you can hear me, wave your antennae.
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Karma: 72
New Zealand

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby PSD-Kiwi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:57 am

Kia ora guys and gals,

Firstly, congrats to OD and Cambod on your new forum, been lurking for a while now and really like the vibe so decided to finally register...thanks for the invite ;) Have found myself becoming a bit negative the last few months over on 440, so will try my best to keep positive over here.

For those that don't know me from 440, I'm a Kiwi, been living in PP 2+ years but work abroad on a rotational basis. First came here whilst travelling and something just drew me back and I don't plan on ever living elsewhere again. Currently on a hiatus from my work due to the bloody ISIS fanatics scaring away all my clients from Baghdad, don't really need to work for a while but am looking for any opportunities in Cambodia to keep me occupied and out of trouble until I land a new gig abroad.

Thanks to everyone for your introductions, I've just read them all. Look forward to sharing info and general gasbagging with you all.

:beer3:
User avatar
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 9:50 am
Karma: 2
Nigeria

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Garry.Crabtree » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:08 am

Welcome squire.
Don’t worry it won't be long become ISIS becomes WASWAS.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Karma: 72
New Zealand

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby PSD-Kiwi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:14 am

Garry.Crabtree wrote:Welcome squire.
Don’t worry it won't be long become ISIS becomes WASWAS.
Have missed your humour GC :good:
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Posts: 889
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:42 pm
Karma: 0
Netherlands

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Jaap N. » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Welcome PSD, nice to see you here as well!
User avatar
General Mackevili
GONK
Posts: 12192
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Karma: 157
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby General Mackevili » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:20 pm

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Firstly, congrats to OD and Cambod on your new forum, been lurking for a while now and really like the vibe so decided to finally register...thanks for the invite ;) Have found myself becoming a bit negative the last few months over on 440, so will try my best to keep positive over here.
Thanks man, and welcome aboard! Interesting intro too, BTW.

Don't worry, that downward spiral happened to the best and nicest of us too over there. Guilty as charged myself.

Thanks for signing up here on the new site; everyone's support and contributions are greatly appreciated!

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Looking for the best deals on hotels and guesthouses in Cambodia?

Book through Agoda:

Phnom Penh
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Kampot
Koh Rong
User avatar
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 6:13 am
Karma: 0
Great Britain

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby EdinWigan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:03 pm

PSD-Kiwi welcome to the CEO world
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !


  • Advertisement
Booking.com

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Chatter”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 154 guests