Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

Post by StroppyChops » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:06 pm

OD, what would the risk to the 'copter be if it copped a direct hit? Would it be enough to send it into river? Surely, you'd be taking the risk that you're $5000 rig wasn't coming back to you.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 6:13 am
Reputation: 1
Great Britain

Re: Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

Post by EdinWigan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:20 pm

StroppyChops wrote:OD, what would the risk to the 'copter be if it copped a direct hit? Would it be enough to send it into river? Surely, you'd be taking the risk that you're $5000 rig wasn't coming back to you.

They do not need to be that expensive my Parrot A R Drone was only a couple of hundred quid ( $300 )

And in fairness he wasn't in the explosive centre

Fantastic video clip Milord, many thanks

:bow:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:23 pm

yep. that's why i'm impressed he was going as close as he was with a few of the fly throughs. one of these going off at point blank range could sever limbs or kill a human with very little problem... to a plastic copter, shattered. granted, the likelihood of a direct hit timed with the detonation is pretty low... but still a considerable risk.

just getting hit by one midair before it goes off would be less of an issue... like getting hit with a baseball. could damage it, but not real likely if it's at all rugged.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 6:13 am
Reputation: 1
Great Britain

Re: Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

Post by EdinWigan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:36 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:yep. that's why i'm impressed he was going as close as he was with a few of the fly throughs. one of these going off at point blank range could sever limbs or kill a human with very little problem... to a plastic copter, shattered. granted, the likelihood of a direct hit timed with the detonation is pretty low... but still a considerable risk.

just getting hit by one midair before it goes off would be less of an issue... like getting hit with a baseball. could damage it, but not real likely if it's at all rugged.
I am not so sure, it would need to be quite close to the main explosion. I am not sure that camera angle showed that.

The pressure wave would disperse very quickly and there is not much weight in any projectile.
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:42 pm

EdinWigan wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:yep. that's why i'm impressed he was going as close as he was with a few of the fly throughs. one of these going off at point blank range could sever limbs or kill a human with very little problem... to a plastic copter, shattered. granted, the likelihood of a direct hit timed with the detonation is pretty low... but still a considerable risk.

just getting hit by one midair before it goes off would be less of an issue... like getting hit with a baseball. could damage it, but not real likely if it's at all rugged.
I am not so sure, it would need to be quite close to the main explosion. I am not sure that camera angle showed that.

The pressure wave would disperse very quickly and there is not much weight in any projectile.
Yeah, that's why I said the odds of a direct hit (which is what you would need) were pretty low. It would have to hit at about the same instant it detonates... or hit and "stick" long enough for the detonation to occur.

though a pro firework that's set to spread the star comp 100m is going to have a decent pressure wave still at a few feet out. wouldn't wreck the craft necessarily but might be enough to knock it out of the sky by taking out a plastic prop or an electrical connection.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:43 pm

(i have a couple of leftovers from my last order... anyone feel like experimenting ;-) )
HotRecruiter
Expatriate
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:38 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

Post by HotRecruiter » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:47 pm

I saw alligator clips in O'Russei market, with black and red rubber boots on them. Electronics section of course.

And what do you think of this quadrocopter? Less than $100! Free delivery to Cambodia!

http://www.dx.com/p/syma-x5c-2-4ghz-4-c ... 7kab2thiSM
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:55 pm

HotRecruiter wrote:I saw alligator clips in O'Russei market, with black and red rubber boots on them. Electronics section of course.

And what do you think of this quadrocopter? Less than $100! Free delivery to Cambodia!

http://www.dx.com/p/syma-x5c-2-4ghz-4-c ... 7kab2thiSM
Thanks. As for the quad... only if you can wire your own camera in... "2 million pixels" is 2 megapixel... even my phone camera is 13 mp.

Based on that, i wouldn't expect much quality on anything else either... like range and durability.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:38 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

Post by HotRecruiter » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:58 pm

100m, only 7 minutes flight time before you have to switch batteries! About $85.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 6:13 am
Reputation: 1
Great Britain

Re: Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

Post by EdinWigan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:59 pm

I have the baby of the team the Parrot A R 2.0 Drone

http://ardrone2.parrot.com/media/upload ... _leftg.png
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post