How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:24 pm
Reputation: 124

How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

Post by Sweet Lemon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 am

[Admin Edit: We have taken these 6 posts off another topic about a specific death of someone, and since it's a valid topic of discussion, we have moved them all here under a new topic, as it seems more appropriate. Thanks.]
LaudJohn wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:03 pm
Just had it canfirmed second hand that it was Con.

RIP mate.

What a character.

His escapades are legendary amongst longer term expats, especially in Sihanoukville.

I last saw him in LoneStar about 18 months ago, he had been sober for a few years.
Are you still keeping track of how many Westerners you've personally know in Cambodia who have died? Is it over 100?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11113
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2396
Tokelau

Re: How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

Post by Anchor Moy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:11 am

Sweet Lemon wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 am
LaudJohn wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:03 pm
Just had it canfirmed second hand that it was Con.

RIP mate.

What a character.

His escapades are legendary amongst longer term expats, especially in Sihanoukville.

I last saw him in LoneStar about 18 months ago, he had been sober for a few years.
Are you still keeping track of how many Westerners you've personally know in Cambodia who have died? Is it over 100?
This is not a thread for random gossip. A guy just died, so this is about him. People want to remember him and a lot of them are not in Cambodia.
Condolences to his family and friends in Cambodia and Kiwiland.
LaudJohn
Expatriate
Posts: 528
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 8:08 am
Reputation: 111

Re: How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

Post by LaudJohn » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:52 pm

Sweet Lemon wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 am
LaudJohn wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:03 pm
Just had it canfirmed second hand that it was Con.

RIP mate.

What a character.

His escapades are legendary amongst longer term expats, especially in Sihanoukville.

I last saw him in LoneStar about 18 months ago, he had been sober for a few years.
Are you still keeping track of how many Westerners you've personally know in Cambodia who have died? Is it over 100?
Without a complete count, it would be north of 120 now.
User avatar
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 1146
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 757
Location: 1984
Great Britain

Re: How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

Post by Yerg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:11 am

LaudJohn wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:52 pm
Sweet Lemon wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 am
LaudJohn wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:03 pm
Just had it canfirmed second hand that it was Con.

RIP mate.

What a character.

His escapades are legendary amongst longer term expats, especially in Sihanoukville.

I last saw him in LoneStar about 18 months ago, he had been sober for a few years.
Are you still keeping track of how many Westerners you've personally know in Cambodia who have died? Is it over 100?
Without a complete count, it would be north of 120 now.
Are either of the last two comments either relevant or appropriate? A fella has died FFS. Have some respect.

RIP
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 3659
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2164
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:58 am

Yerg wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:11 am
LaudJohn wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:52 pm
Sweet Lemon wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 am

Are you still keeping track of how many Westerners you've personally know in Cambodia who have died? Is it over 100?
Without a complete count, it would be north of 120 now.
Are either of the last two comments either relevant or appropriate? A fella has died FFS. Have some respect.

RIP
Respectfully, Yerg (i do get what you are saying)
I do not find this inappropriate. A least somebody is keeping a roll.

I believe it is important that we do not forget our brothers and sisters who have died in Cambodia.
I hope to make that roll call myself one day, and it is comforting to know that my name may not go unrecorded and unacknowledged.

Just my view, and of course that is on the proviso that this list is not used for tabloid type purpose.
BR549
Expatriate
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:44 pm
Reputation: 188
United States of America

Re: How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

Post by BR549 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:19 am

PLEASE KEEP MY NAME...PICTURES...PASSPORT...ACCIDENT SCENE..CRIME SCENE...HEART ATTACK SCENE..OFF THE SITE AND DON'T INCLUDE ME IN YOUR BARANG TALLY.
there was a morbid website of farangs in thailand tbat was sick.
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 3659
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2164
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:19 am

BR549 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:19 am
PLEASE KEEP MY NAME...PICTURES...PASSPORT...ACCIDENT SCENE..CRIME SCENE...HEART ATTACK SCENE..OFF THE SITE AND DON'T INCLUDE ME IN YOUR BARANG TALLY.
there was a morbid website of farangs in thailand tbat was sick.
I am with you on the morbid website angle, Bro-5. For sure!!
And about all the uninformed speculation and judgements that so often appear with these reports.
Same for the shaming of destitute foreigners, and busts for pot and stuff like that.

I was bought up to believe that peoples medical history is a private matter too, but maybe i am just a bit too old fashioned?
In professional journalism there is a very clear ethical line between what you release about private citizens, and the more detailed disclosures about "public figures" - ie, those who have chosen to be in the public eye.

But a roll call for history and remembrance is not such a bad idea, for us ordinary folk who may otherwise slip off forgotten.
-and to find out what happened to the friends we lost contact with.
??
User avatar
General Mackevili
The General
Posts: 17102
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Reputation: 2071
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

Post by General Mackevili » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:34 am

We have taken these 6 previous posts off another topic about a specific death of someone, and since it's a valid topic of discussion, we have moved them all here under a new topic, as it seems more appropriate. Thanks.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 11526
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 2937
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

Post by Username Taken » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:57 am

I know quite a few who have left us over the past 20 years, but reading how many are on LaudJohn's list I would think the best course of action to stay alive is to avoid hanging out with LaudJohn!
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
User avatar
BklynBoy
Expatriate
Posts: 761
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:11 am
Reputation: 292
United States of America

Re: How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

Post by BklynBoy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:58 am

I know 2 westerners who have died in cambodia. The older one gets, the more likely that would happen but seems like something that either attracts are certain type of person to cambodia or something that happens to them here.. LIke the chicken vs egg thing


anyway one friend is someone I knew from my College days who at first was more friends w my brother but then became closer to me. It's sad. It was written about on this forum. I even spoke w/ the owner for the hotel he stayed at before moving into the hotel near the airport where he died. His name was Howie. I was supposed to meet him but he got to cambodia before me and was about to go to Bali (seems like thats why stayed at hotel near airport,,,unsure ) and then go back to cambodia.. that was his itinerary

Howard Zilberzweig

thru me off cause never knew him as howard...and didnt even know his last name... strange.. knew him over 20 years..

another person was named Harald Winkler. I met him in approx 2014-- summer. We became kinda close and was sad when I heard he committed suicide.

I am feel a mix of emotions after writing this.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post