House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 3137
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 1191
Cambodia

Re: House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

pczz wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:03 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:31 am Go the sangkat your place is in, and tell them you need a residency letter to apply for a driving license. Then they have to come up with some form off address which you can use in the future.
price varies depending on how near it is to khmer New Year, Phum Benh or the Village chiefs daughter wedding. Lowest I have paid is $20, most I have been asked for is $100 :-)
If you do want to use it for anything make sure they give you the correct document. For driving license it must have a photo of you, your name written in Khmer and English and your address. They have samples at the Aeon 2 license centre you can take to the snagkatcentre to make sure you get the right thing.
For reference only, the official listed fee is 2.000r for the clerk @ the sangkat. But your journey starts with the village chief if there's one.
pczz
Expatriate
Posts: 3200
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Reputation: 798
Location: phnom penh
Great Britain

Re: House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

Post by pczz »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:07 pm
pczz wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:03 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:31 am Go the sangkat your place is in, and tell them you need a residency letter to apply for a driving license. Then they have to come up with some form off address which you can use in the future.
price varies depending on how near it is to khmer New Year, Phum Benh or the Village chiefs daughter wedding. Lowest I have paid is $20, most I have been asked for is $100 :-)
If you do want to use it for anything make sure they give you the correct document. For driving license it must have a photo of you, your name written in Khmer and English and your address. They have samples at the Aeon 2 license centre you can take to the snagkatcentre to make sure you get the right thing.
For reference only, the official listed fee is 2.000r for the clerk @ the sangkat. But your journey starts with the village chief if there's one.
You usually also have to pay something to the local police for registering a foreigner outside major cities. Not sure if the sangkat handles that in PP.
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 3137
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 1191
Cambodia

Re: House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

pczz wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:14 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:07 pm
pczz wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:03 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:31 am Go the sangkat your place is in, and tell them you need a residency letter to apply for a driving license. Then they have to come up with some form off address which you can use in the future.
price varies depending on how near it is to khmer New Year, Phum Benh or the Village chiefs daughter wedding. Lowest I have paid is $20, most I have been asked for is $100 :-)
If you do want to use it for anything make sure they give you the correct document. For driving license it must have a photo of you, your name written in Khmer and English and your address. They have samples at the Aeon 2 license centre you can take to the snagkatcentre to make sure you get the right thing.
For reference only, the official listed fee is 2.000r for the clerk @ the sangkat. But your journey starts with the village chief if there's one.
You usually also have to pay something to the local police for registering a foreigner outside major cities. Not sure if the sangkat handles that in PP.
Registering is a different process. When you need a residency letter you get an empty format, size A4, the clerk or the village chief will fill in the blancs (your details like name, address etc) and after that a photo is added (glued) to the right upper corner and sangkat and village chief (if applicable) sign and stamp it. A stamp will go over your picture as well. Every residency letter contains an address, so it's a pretty fool prove method to find out where the authorities think you are living

That's it. Any further action requested is just aimed at separating you from a little more of your hard earned money.

Again, for reference only, no guarantees given.
BR549
Expatriate
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:44 pm
Reputation: 189
United States of America

Re: House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

Post by BR549 »

Nice info and postal link.
I am moving in February and it would be nice if the 4th place I lived had an address.
I sure am not going to go pay someone to tell me.
The owner of the house I am renting should know that.
Don't need a DL..
I have never seen a mailman in 3 years in Cambodia.
I mean postal worker.
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 3785
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 854

Re: House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Username Taken wrote:Cement road, next to drink shop.
I'm always amazed at how only 1% of Cambodians realize that saying "I'll meet you on the southwest corner opposite of TTP market, by the Cellcard shop" is more accurate than "I live by old market. Come to me house". The amount of time wasted here due to lack of basic communication and map reading skills is insane.



Seriously though, look at the EDC bill. Your address is clearly stated there. Land title also has the official address.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 1375
New Zealand

Re: House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:28 pm Seriously though, look at the EDC bill. Your address is clearly stated there. Land title also has the official address.
Not all properties have a proper address. My home certainly doesn't, Our street has no name or number, house has no number...no address on our EDC or water bill, no address on our LMAP Hard Title...just plot number, Village, Sangkat, District, City, Province....No problem.
pczz
Expatriate
Posts: 3200
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Reputation: 798
Location: phnom penh
Great Britain

Re: House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

Post by pczz »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:40 pm
pczz wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:14 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:07 pm
pczz wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:03 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:31 am Go the sangkat your place is in, and tell them you need a residency letter to apply for a driving license. Then they have to come up with some form off address which you can use in the future.
price varies depending on how near it is to khmer New Year, Phum Benh or the Village chiefs daughter wedding. Lowest I have paid is $20, most I have been asked for is $100 :-)
If you do want to use it for anything make sure they give you the correct document. For driving license it must have a photo of you, your name written in Khmer and English and your address. They have samples at the Aeon 2 license centre you can take to the snagkatcentre to make sure you get the right thing.
For reference only, the official listed fee is 2.000r for the clerk @ the sangkat. But your journey starts with the village chief if there's one.
You usually also have to pay something to the local police for registering a foreigner outside major cities. Not sure if the sangkat handles that in PP.
Registering is a different process. When you need a residency letter you get an empty format, size A4, the clerk or the village chief will fill in the blancs (your details like name, address etc) and after that a photo is added (glued) to the right upper corner and sangkat and village chief (if applicable) sign and stamp it. A stamp will go over your picture as well. Every residency letter contains an address, so it's a pretty fool prove method to find out where the authorities think you are living

That's it. Any further action requested is just aimed at separating you from a little more of your hard earned money.

Again, for reference only, no guarantees given.
Problem was thye changed the format and they were no issued to all Sangkhat. they would give you a cmleted sample to take to the sanghkatat Aeon2. My form was correct but it did not have my nake in English alphabet on it
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1145
Cambodia

Re: House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

For this is easy.. just go to the Chief of commune. Show them where you live (if necessary go to your actual house with his subordinates). Give them beer or tea or coffee. Wait the letter. Thumbprint and sign. A few more beers. Donate a little to the Commune coffers according to your discretion. The boss of the Commune keeps the books which are then sent to the Minister of the Interior. It can be as vague as "small street" or "concrete road" but the real issue is if the Khmer understand it and the government or other bodies accept it. The documents issued by the Commune boss are the accepted Khmer forms
talltuktuk
Expatriate
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:18 pm
Reputation: 94
United States of America

Re: House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

Post by talltuktuk »

I don’t care how the Cambodian government, local officials, or the police want to identify the property where I live. I just need a legit physical address for a K1 petition. Or at least as legit as possible. I know immigration deals with this address issue alot here, I’m just trying to do this as legit as possible to avoid delays and/or denial of my application.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 3785
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 854

Re: House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:28 pm Seriously though, look at the EDC bill. Your address is clearly stated there. Land title also has the official address.
Not all properties have a proper address. My home certainly doesn't, Our street has no name or number, house has no number...no address on our EDC or water bill, no address on our LMAP Hard Title...just plot number, Village, Sangkat, District, City, Province....No problem.
Then that's your address. Our properties in the countryside match your description (road/area/poum/koum), but you can still get stuff sent to a local post office with the stated address. The land title won't have more information than that, so it really depends on why the OP wants the address. I make up fake addresses all the time of shipping stuff over. If it's something legal, than best stick to the EDC/land title information.

Doesn't the K1 relate to the American embassy? How would they know or care. They're not going to check. Be as truthful as you can (by using the information you have). They're aware that many places around the world don't have ultra specific postal addresses.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post