Health Insurance

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 10306
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 1748
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Health Insurance

Post by Username Taken » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:59 pm

^^^ Have you not considered similar things happening to you in Thailand?
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1015
Australia

Re: Health Insurance

Post by StroppyChops » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:07 am

timmydownawell wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:33 pm
I have World Nomads for about AUD700/year, but I understand they don't insure "travellers" for more than two years, so I will try another (1cover maybe) when this one expires next year.

I did enquire about expat insurance and was quoted USD1500/year which is roughly three times the price of World Nomads.
1Cover requires you to take out your policy before leaving Australia, is limited to one-year intervals, and requires a return date to Australia. If you contact them directly just before your policy expires they'll extend by a year. I found them pretty easy to deal with.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 2212
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Reputation: 511
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Health Insurance

Post by timmydownawell » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:13 am

StroppyChops wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:07 am
timmydownawell wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:33 pm
I have World Nomads for about AUD700/year, but I understand they don't insure "travellers" for more than two years, so I will try another (1cover maybe) when this one expires next year.

I did enquire about expat insurance and was quoted USD1500/year which is roughly three times the price of World Nomads.
1Cover requires you to take out your policy before leaving Australia, is limited to one-year intervals, and requires a return date to Australia. If you contact them directly just before your policy expires they'll extend by a year. I found them pretty easy to deal with.
Hmm, it's unlikely I'll return to Australia next year, maybe I will just just try and buy a third Nomads one then. Last month when mine ran out, I found out I couldn't extend it because the max is one year, but the chick I spoke with said to just buy another policy (with a 72 hour stand down period for being out of AU).

I don't know why expat insurance is so much more expensive than regular travel insurance. It's not like expats cram thrill seeking experiences into every day (skydiving, mountain climbing, bungy jumping, canyoning etc) like backpackers do. Except maybe beekeeping lol.
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
User avatar
juansweetpotato
Expatriate
Posts: 2637
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 pm
Reputation: 75

Re: Health Insurance

Post by juansweetpotato » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:37 am

Ronny wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:55 pm
What I'm worried about is getting in a traffic accident and getting seriously injured and having to pay a huge amount of $$$ that I might not have. Don't any of you guys worry about something like that happening? I'm 49 years old and relatively healthy as far as I know, lol.
You need air evac for head injuries etc. That's going to come in at around $270 upwards per month. Otherwise, Forte insurance is an affordable local choice, but without the evac.Their office is on Mao Tse Tong, next to the Mondrial center.
People have stated they have mainly been ok when making a claim. Well, three people replied on another thread that they had claimed on Forte.
If you intend to come and go every year then World Nomad is about the cheapest.

One thing to note that has been mentioned on these fora, is that there is a hgh chance Royal Hospital will try and hang onto you even if they haven't got the equipment or expertise to save your life, just to make money. You had just better hope that a friend finds out somehow soon, so that they can arrange the evac. Or that you can phone someone to help, which is highly unlikely in the case of head injury requiring life saving evac.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 9238
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1700
Location: the far side of the moon
Aruba

Re: Health Insurance

Post by phuketrichard » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 am

Have an exit strategy;

My GF and daughter both have copies of my living will and know i do not wish to be placed in a hospital nor on life support nor to resuscitate me if i go out or spend crazy$$ to chase a few years.
i am fortunate as am not broke nor living month to month

True sad story;

2 weeks ago a long time friend of mine, living in "his" house, he built for his ex on his ex's land up country, had a stroke an than a heart attack. His "new" live in gf than grabbed the jewelry and stared in on his atm, Left him unconscious for a full day before she called the police who took him to the hospital. As he was unconscious nothing they could do without a relatives permission so only put him on a drip and did a cat scan. Mother of his ex's, living on the nearby land contacted his ex wife (they never legally married) who was living in Oz with his stepdaughter. His step daughter flew up an got info from the dr. DR> said he had a chance if he had an operation but they couldn't do it there but only in Bangkok BUT the dr said the move might kill him, as she was not legally his daughter they couldn't do anything, she had to fly back to Oz so he was alone, unconscious in the hospital We contacted his brother an daughter living in the states and after 10 days his brother finally flew over. He never regained consciousness and died the next day .

His brother wanted to sell the house and truck BUT the house was in his ex's name and he never even bothered getting a lease form her and the truck was in her brothers name so technically he owned nothing.

Shit happens

Boy Scout moto "BE PREPARED"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
juansweetpotato
Expatriate
Posts: 2637
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 pm
Reputation: 75

Re: Health Insurance

Post by juansweetpotato » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:27 am

phuketrichard wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 am
Have an exit strategy;

My GF and daughter both have copies of my living will and know i do not wish to be placed in a hospital nor on life support nor to resuscitate me if i go out or spend crazy$$ to chase a few years.
i am fortunate as am not broke nor living month to month

True sad story;

2 weeks ago a long time friend of mine, living in "his" house, he built for his ex on his ex's land up country, had a stroke an than a heart attack. His "new" live in gf than grabbed the jewelry and stared in on his atm, Left him unconscious for a full day before she called the police who took him to the hospital. As he was unconscious nothing they could do without a relatives permission so only put him on a drip and did a cat scan. Mother of his ex's, living on the nearby land contacted his ex wife (they never legally married) who was living in Oz with his stepdaughter. His step daughter flew up an got info from the dr. DR> said he had a chance if he had an operation but they couldn't do it there but only in Bangkok BUT the dr said the move might kill him, as she was not legally his daughter they couldn't do anything, she had to fly back to Oz so he was alone, unconscious in the hospital We contacted his brother an daughter living in the states and after 10 days his brother finally flew over. He never regained consciousness and died the next day .

His brother wanted to sell the house and truck BUT the house was in his ex's name and he never even bothered getting a lease form her and the truck was in her brothers name so technically he owned nothing.

Shit happens

Boy Scout moto "BE PREPARED"
I liked the bit about leaving him unconscious for a day on the floor while she cleaned his account out.
Reminds me of a few stories I've heard over the years. Of course, nobody every believes you...
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
User avatar
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Posts: 2743
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:51 pm
Reputation: 838
Australia

Re: Health Insurance

Post by rozzieoz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:34 am

phuketrichard wrote:35 years living or traveling in se asia, never had health or travel insurance
There's always GoFundMe;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 9238
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1700
Location: the far side of the moon
Aruba

Re: Health Insurance

Post by phuketrichard » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:43 am

rozzieoz wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:34 am
phuketrichard wrote:35 years living or traveling in se asia, never had health or travel insurance
There's always GoFundMe;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Works sometimes; How many of u all know Joe ( american photographer living in PP)
he got cancer and his go fundme page and benefits helped him with his cancer treatment payments recently.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
Posts: 3718
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:49 am
Reputation: 879
Location: Outside of Kampong Cham city
United States of America

Re: Health Insurance

Post by taabarang » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:52 pm

"Taabarang, you said you have an exit plan? Good G*d I hope you don't mean you're going to off yourself! "

Well yes, that's exactly what I mean-when I feel the time has come. I'm reasonably old now, did most of what I wanted to do and fear or greed are lame excuses for wanting more time. As to how most likely a chemical exit. I'm researching now. I don't want to leave a mess and on the other hand I don't want to hang on as a brain dead mess. It requires a bit of thought and research.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 2815
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 261

Re: Health Insurance

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:06 pm

What's your exit plan Richard?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndyKK, Anthony's Weiner, clutchcargo, GMJS-CEO, Google Adsense [Bot], jd1965, Kammekor, ned kelly, phuketrichard, taabarang, Terry Fishsauce, yongchi and 216 guests