Foreigner Buys Land in His Cambodian Wife's Name In Siem Reap; Loses Everything

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Foreigner Buys Land in His Cambodian Wife's Name In Siem Reap; Loses Everything

Post by General Mackevili »

This was posting a little bit earlier today in a Cambodia Facebook group as a warning to expats/foreigners to be careful when buying land in Cambodia and putting it in your wife's name.

"As some of you may know, I have recently left Siem Reap. I have made the common mistake to buy land on the name of my wife and have been trying to secure the property by drawing up a 50 year lease contract in my name. This was presented to me as a safe option by my Khmer lawyer Mr Sophea Sourng and his Legal Aid Mr Adrien Marville. Now that things did not work out between my wife and me, I went to check my options. I offered my wife a pretty high 50 % if we could sell the land, but she did not agree so I went for the option to use the lease agreement and rent out the land, or eventually build a house on it to let or even to live in myself. When I went to the Registration office, I was told that the lease agreement never had been registered, thus invalid. This agreement was signed and fingerprinted by the Sangkat Chief, The Lawyer Mr Sophea Sourng, Mr Marville, Myself and My wife DALY
Meanwhile the land titles had been stolen by my wife and she had already sold the land, without my knowlegde, and also without informing the new owner about the lease contract. She had already taken a deposit and now also has cashed the total amount, which is of course far below the real value.
I am moving on with my life but would like to warn others, to not trust any intermediate services to rely upon to take care of your legal work. Mr Sophea Sourng and Mr Marville have deliberately chosen not to register the documents, either to enrich themselves with the fees, or either out of incompetence and ignorance. I will probably never find out but that is not the goal of this post. Greetings, Eric.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Foreigner Buys Land in His Cambodian Wife's Name In Siem Reap; Loses Everything

Post by hanno »

And his posts on FB get reported and zapped as soon as they appear. Guess the lawyers have a lot of friends.......
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Foreigner Buys Land in His Cambodian Wife's Name In Siem Reap; Loses Everything

Post by Jerry Atrick »

lol, what a tit!

Not you, Hanno, the subject of the tale :beer3:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

LOL
happen way to much.

GET THAT LEASE REGISTERED!!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

phuketrichard wrote:LOL
happen way to much.

GET THAT LEASE REGISTERED!!!!
Obviously not via sopheap sourng
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Silly bunt.
You could be next.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

To even think about a lease in the first place to protect yourself. This draws doubts to the lady you must have been with. Sounds like a downward slide all the way, and setups from lawyers in tow.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:01 pm To even think about a lease in the first place to protect yourself. This draws doubts to the lady you must have been with. Sounds like a downward slide all the way, and setups from lawyers in tow.
Trust no-one. I admit that I read that and did think, hmm, perhaps I should have thought about that. However whenever I bought property here it had my passport copy, marriage cert and thumb prints with the deed. Don't see that you need the lease.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Poor bugger :( he probably really loved her and was just thinking about their lovely future together. This place can be brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

I would have thought that a sound mentality should be something like, 'don't invest into stuff you are not prepared to lose'. Hey it's Cambodia, after all.

:?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic