Food and beverage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Luke and co
Tourist
Australia

Food and beverage

Post by Luke and co »

I hear a beer in Cambodia is just a couple of buck as is food, what do you pay for what and is it any good?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Food and beverage

Post by hanno »

Luke and co wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:18 pm I hear a beer in Cambodia is just a couple of buck as is food, what do you pay for what and is it any good?
Beer is OK and often less than $2.00. Don’t expect much food wise for that amount though.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Sounds like a great thing to do with a young family Luke, so don't think I'm trying to be discouraging. But I think a lot of people get surprised by the cost of food in Cambodia. You might hear that the minimum wage is around 180 a month (for garment workers)- so not far off 1/10 of Oz-and figure that prices will be somewhat relative to that. But I find things like beef, chicken and pork to be not much cheaper than NZ- usually with poorer quality/ non-existent food safety standards. That doesn't bother me too much as only myself to worry about but I think it would if I had children. You've probably consulted numbeo.com, which says grocery prices are 32% lower in Cambodia than oz, I would say that's on the generous side.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Pork and rice is still 10,000r ($2.50). You're not going to get fat on the portion, though. Pretty much most beer is less than $2, unless you're somewhere fancy or it's imported. Khmer food isn't great, I found Thai and Vietnamese cuisine to be better. The fresh stuff is fine, just don't expect a taste sensation. Also, they overcook everything - for obvious reasons when you see their food prep areas. Which is usually the toilet.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Beer from the local mom-n-pop stores $10-12 for a case of 24 cans. In a restaurant/bar...anywhere from 50c to $3 for a local draft beer, more for imported and craft beers.

Food: If you purchase meat, veg & fruit from the supermarkets it is quite expensive and the quality isn't great. Learn how to shop in the local markets and you'll get fresher, better quality at a much lower price. Many foreigners are scared of shopping in the markets, don't be...just be sure to arrive early to buy meat/seafood when it is at it's freshest. Imported food items are generally expensive.

There are plenty of affordable restaurants and street stalls around.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Draught is roughly a Curtis Jackson or 2
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Pork and rice is still 10,000r ($2.50)."

That's a big city price. In my village I get a full plate for 3,000 riels and a huge ice coffee with milk for 2,000 riels. Total cost for breakfast $1.25, actually less considering the exchange rate.
It's one of the few meals I can enjoy on a daily basis after many years in the KOW.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

taabarang wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:23 pm "Pork and rice is still 10,000r ($2.50)."

That's a big city price. In my village I get a full plate for 3,000 riels and a huge ice coffee with milk for 2,000 riels. Total cost for breakfast $1.25, actually less considering the exchange rate.
It's one of the few meals I can enjoy on a daily basis after many years in the KOW.

With prices like that it almost makes me want to give up this PP riverside penthouse for one in your village so I can save money for my retirement years.
How much for rent in your street ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"How much for rent in your street?"

I will avoid the temptation to be a snobbish asshole and say you couldn't afford it, but the truth is I don't want to live near any penthouse. My wife owns the property-lock, stock and barrel. Slightly less than one hectar.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic