Expats who Call Their GF's 'Wife', When They Aren't Married

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Expats who Call Their GF's 'Wife', When They Aren't Marr

Post by thePeck »

It's to both: Khmer/Khmer or Barang/Khmer. It could have originally been to save face and maybe still, in more conservative families.

But after 1yr my gf calls me her husband and I call her my wife. It's taken different by different people. Her province knows we aren't "married" but we sleep in the same room and kiss/hold hands outside. It's just agreed we are.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

FreeSocrates! wrote:I have friends that call their Khmer GF's wives (non of them former Bar Girls, mostly I'd say light grey girls).

The Khmer GF's go so far as to adopt the Expats last name on Facebook.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with friends that do this (and for the record I don't really care).
Yet you posted the query.

It's called common-law marriage, happens all over the world and has been happening since man existed and before men in dresses told us Dog and the church needed to authorise it.

Don't let the churches and lawyers brainwash you into thinking their version is the only version. You seem to be pretty fixed in your thinking, resist!
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

Hardly surprising in a country where they call women 'sister' who aren't even related to them.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

my gf refers to me as her husband to khmer friends.

scary.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

It's a Cambodian thing.

If they are aware that a non-married couple are living together and having sex, they would just call them "husband and wife." It's probably a way to save face as it was mentioned, but maybe also a way of legitimizing the relationship and in their logic, a way of being polite.

However, now there are words to designate a boyfriend/girlfriend: songsa, mith srey, mith bros, koor sneh, koor chivit, koor dondeung... Though I think the "pdey-propoun" is preferred because of the social, cultural, and legal bondage.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

So refreshing to have knowledgeable Khmer members who are willing to inform us.
Thanks Joon.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

dagenham wrote:Dang...I'd call anyone my wife - if only they would let me...
There are some lovely 'ladies' (what's an appendage or two between friends?) hanging around Wat Phnom that would let you. For a fee...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

vladimir wrote:
FreeSocrates! wrote:I have friends that call their Khmer GF's wives (non of them former Bar Girls, mostly I'd say light grey girls).

The Khmer GF's go so far as to adopt the Expats last name on Facebook.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with friends that do this (and for the record I don't really care).
Yet you posted the query.

It's called common-law marriage, happens all over the world and has been happening since man existed and before men in dresses told us Dog and the church needed to authorise it.

Don't let the churches and lawyers brainwash you into thinking their version is the only version. You seem to be pretty fixed in your thinking, resist!
Vladimir, we've been over this already. See stroppy's post and my admission that I 'forgot' about this on the first page...

http://www.cambodiaexpatsonline.com/vie ... =307#p4672

*Edit: When I said and for the record I don't really care. I mean I have nothing against the practice of people being 'pretend married', was just curious about the practice within the Khmer Context.

ie, I don't really care if you are 'pretend married'... just was curious about it.
Last edited by FreeSocrates! on Wed May 28, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

giblet wrote:Hardly surprising in a country where they call women 'sister' who aren't even related to them.
Exactly I wonder about this stuff too, all the time.

Sometimes there are direct reasons (like a orphan), but sometimes I find maybe it's just because they are friends and like each other???
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

I been with the same khmer girl for over a year now and when other khmer ask about us I just refer to her as my wife. Reason being they will look down on her if she is just my girlfriend and lives with me. As far as our circle of friends we are boyfriend girlfriend.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic