Current market rate for a Khmer language tutor?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
valorem
Tourist
United States of America

Current market rate for a Khmer language tutor?

Post by valorem » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:37 am

I am wondering if I should engage a private tutor to teach me conversational Khmer. I am a complete beginner and that is the reason the candidate should be fluent in English.

What is the current hourly rate to hire a native Khmer speaker?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Current market rate for a Khmer language tutor?

Post by explorer » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:13 pm

If you make friends with Cambodians learning English, many of them will teach you for free. They help you with Khmer, and you help them with English.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:23 pm

explorer wrote:If you make friends with Cambodians learning English, many of them will teach you for free. They help you with Khmer, and you help them with English.
That's fine to help basic conversational skills and improve vocabulary later on, but completely useless otherwise as they'll have methodology or training. To answer the original question, the current rates are around $7-12 I think. You can probably find someone for $5, but as with most things, you get what you pay for.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:23 pm
explorer wrote:If you make friends with Cambodians learning English, many of them will teach you for free. They help you with Khmer, and you help them with English.
That's fine to help basic conversational skills and improve vocabulary later on, but completely useless otherwise as they'll have methodology or training. To answer the original question, the current rates are around $7-12 I think. You can probably find someone for $5, but as with most things, you get what you pay for.
Shit, that's more than English teachers get paid!
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:57 pm

Khmer lesson are excellent and charge $10 pH

http://khmer-lesson.com/
valorem
Tourist
United States of America

Post by valorem » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:49 pm

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
That's fine to help basic conversational skills and improve vocabulary later on, but completely useless otherwise as they'll have methodology or training.
Totally agree. To achieve an advanced level of conversational Khmer, one needs to have a good grounding in its grammar. The same applies to learning any foreign language.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
To answer the original question, the current rates are around $7-12 I think. You can probably find someone for $5, but as with most things, you get what you pay for.
Thanks.
valorem
Tourist
United States of America

Post by valorem » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Tarndog wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:24 pm
What's the hourly rate for a native English speaker (from the UK, USA, Canada, Australia and NZ) to teach conversational English?
Kratom123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kratom123 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:58 pm

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
7 -12 dollars an hour. What Cambodia are you living in . $2 an hour no more
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Tarndog wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
Not sure what English teachers charge for private lessons, but that's what I assume the OP was requesting. Could be cheaper with a friend or two of course. No one would teach for $2/hour, not sure of that's a joke or not.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:54 pm

Recommend you investigate Khmer Friends.

$5/hour if you go to their site. Very professional, although their schedules can get hectic so flexibility may sometimes be required. Technically a Christian organization, but there is no religious component to the Khmer language lessons.

School is on St. 185 behind the hospital near Sovannah Shopping Center.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic