Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs in Cambodia

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 176
Cambodia

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by clutchcargo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Why not get rid of the US currency anyway and stick with their own currency riel? I daresay the strengthening $ in recent times hasn't done them any favors with tourist numbers. It would also help national pride wouldn't it? And help everyone not having to stuff around handling 2 currencies.
User avatar
la8rat
Expatriate
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:39 pm
Reputation: 14
Great Britain

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by la8rat » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:48 pm

clutchcargo wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:30 pm
Why not get rid of the US currency anyway and stick with their own currency riel? I daresay the strengthening $ in recent times hasn't done them any favors with tourist numbers. It would also help national pride wouldn't it? And help everyone not having to stuff around handling 2 currencies.
The dollar hasn't strengthened againt the riel in any considerable way for years..
Image

I quite like using riels for small change and dollars for bigger purchases.

National pride? I think the colour of the bank notes is the least of their worries in that respect.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 176
Cambodia

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by clutchcargo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:10 pm

la8rat wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:48 pm
clutchcargo wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:30 pm
Why not get rid of the US currency anyway and stick with their own currency riel? I daresay the strengthening $ in recent times hasn't done them any favors with tourist numbers. It would also help national pride wouldn't it? And help everyone not having to stuff around handling 2 currencies.
The dollar hasn't strengthened againt the riel in any considerable way for years..
Maybe but it's the $US that counts for both tourists and expats that source their money from OS.

Tell that to Canadians and Aussies that are down 30% against the $US...that's a lot of buying power gone out the window.. And what about the Brits?

If KOW had a single currency and floated it, I think it would be a different story..
User avatar
la8rat
Expatriate
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:39 pm
Reputation: 14
Great Britain

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by la8rat » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:59 pm

clutchcargo wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:10 pm
la8rat wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:48 pm
clutchcargo wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:30 pm
Why not get rid of the US currency anyway and stick with their own currency riel? I daresay the strengthening $ in recent times hasn't done them any favors with tourist numbers. It would also help national pride wouldn't it? And help everyone not having to stuff around handling 2 currencies.
The dollar hasn't strengthened againt the riel in any considerable way for years..
Maybe but it's the $US that counts for both tourists and expats that source their money from OS.

Tell that to Canadians and Aussies that are down 30% against the $US...that's a lot of buying power gone out the window.. And what about the Brits?

If KOW had a single currency and floated it, I think it would be a different story..
I am a brit. Ive just got back from thailand and belive me i felt the ouch every time i changed money.
The exchange rate is linked to the us dollar when it comed to £ and bhat. Do you really think if the riel floated it would be any different?

Image
Image
Notice any similarities in those graphs?
I used the yen because i assume thats what the riel would be linked to if it did ever float.

Its the pound thats fucked at the moment. Once out of europe we will see much better numbers.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
User avatar
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:34 am
Reputation: 50
Great Britain

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by JUDGEDREDD » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:04 pm

The gbp been taking a pounding harder than Omaha beach longer than your favourite porn star
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 176
Cambodia

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by clutchcargo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:12 pm

la8rat wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:59 pm
clutchcargo wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:10 pm
la8rat wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:48 pm
clutchcargo wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:30 pm
Why not get rid of the US currency anyway and stick with their own currency riel? I daresay the strengthening $ in recent times hasn't done them any favors with tourist numbers. It would also help national pride wouldn't it? And help everyone not having to stuff around handling 2 currencies.
The dollar hasn't strengthened againt the riel in any considerable way for years..
Maybe but it's the $US that counts for both tourists and expats that source their money from OS.

Tell that to Canadians and Aussies that are down 30% against the $US...that's a lot of buying power gone out the window.. And what about the Brits?

If KOW had a single currency and floated it, I think it would be a different story..
I am a brit. Ive just got back from thailand and belive me i felt the ouch every time i changed money.
The exchange rate is linked to the us dollar when it comed to £ and bhat. Do you really think if the riel floated it would be any different?

Image
Image
Notice any similarities in those graphs?
I used the yen because i assume thats what the riel would be linked to if it did ever float.

Its the pound thats fucked at the moment. Once out of europe we will see much better numbers.
Do you really think if the riel floated it would be any different?
Yuh, you're right..that is the million dollar question. No pun intended haha

I guess it would mean the Cambodian riel would find it's way on the basis of Cambodian fundamentals rather ones of another country..

I'm hearing anecdotally from a lot of restos on riverside that this year the tourist numbers are way down and started a lot later than last year. Is that due to the strong $US or other world factor?..I dunno. But seems to me a free floating currency would be beneficial overall.

Sorry OP as this bit off topic :wink:
User avatar
la8rat
Expatriate
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:39 pm
Reputation: 14
Great Britain

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by la8rat » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Yes appologies. Did wander off topic.

Good thread 👍
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
User avatar
bucknaked
Expatriate
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:37 am
Reputation: 10
Australia

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by bucknaked » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:53 am

I ended up with a fake $100 when we were there in November [PP]

I still believe it was from Travelex in Australia before we left but I guess there was a slight chance it was switched in the first shop I tried to spend it
Travelex were great though they exchanged it for me when I got back

Will never take $100US with me again, pain in the backside for everyone

can you spot the difference? one is real one is the fake, pretty obvious when it is pointed out to you :)

Another pain in the arse is being lumbered with the old tatty US notes that they wont accept...

Image
Image
User avatar
IraHayes
Expatriate
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 am
Reputation: 198
Marshall Islands

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by IraHayes » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:23 am

bucknaked wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:53 am
I ended up with a fake $100 when we were there in November [PP]

I still believe it was from Travelex in Australia before we left but I guess there was a slight chance it was switched in the first shop I tried to spend it
Travelex were great though they exchanged it for me when I got back

Will never take $100US with me again, pain in the backside for everyone

can you spot the difference? one is real one is the fake, pretty obvious when it is pointed out to you :)

Another pain in the arse is being lumbered with the old tatty US notes that they wont accept...

Image
Image
When I had my hostel I would often be asked by guests how to spot fake money. The test is not visual. It is physical. You can actually “feel” the difference and the fake note feels too smooth and the real one is quite rough in comparison. Do a test with your eyes closed for best effect, which is how I used to do it. The fake feels like normal paper. This was with the older style notes, I must admit, but I believe the new ones are the same.
explorer
Expatriate
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:37 pm
Reputation: 144
Australia

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by explorer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:43 am

The fake one is the top one in both photos.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bob tailcat, Deefer, Google [Bot], groovy_pants_gus, lurcio, Majestic-12 [Bot], Sherman's mate, Sidewalker, starkmonster, Stramash23 and 276 guests