Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs in Cambodia

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 3444
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Reputation: 607

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by Kuroneko » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:42 pm

I have been using the ATMs here since their inception. I used ANZ near Psa Thmei and on the riverside up to about four years ago when I moved over to Chroy Changvar. I have used the Canadia bank ATM every week since then. I always change my withdrawal to small denomination notes immediately inside the bank. Same with SNVL but only go two or three times a year.

Large notes are generally not welcome in smaller size businesses and people who order one beer and then attempt to pay with $100 bill do piss off staff/owners. I think the problem is more likely to be when people try and pass $100 bills off to establishments, as the OP quote states "and not being able to use the bills as the store owners notice they are counterfeit! How convenient! :D I suspect they are a victim of the "quick switch" or maybe it is genuine and it is used as an excuse not to accept it!
table42
Expatriate
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 4:11 pm
Reputation: 1

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by table42 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:58 pm

In fairness I should have cited the thread which is
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... bodia.html

In this thread one of the destination"experts" is accusing ANZ of having ATMs that dispense counterfeit $100 bills. An accusation based entirely on hearsay. Intermingled with the issue are personalities that can't abide one another. Sound familiar?

Unfortunately TA has pretty much gutted the thread, I suspect out of fear of legal percussions.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
table42
Expatriate
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 4:11 pm
Reputation: 1

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by table42 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:27 am

The entire thread has been pulled.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
franzjaeger
Expatriate
Posts: 485
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 8:32 am
Reputation: 4
United States of America

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by franzjaeger » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:37 am

Ha ha, yeah how rude to pay with a $100 after a few 50 cent beers, I'd feel good about switching out the note and give it back to the customer with a 'no can do, fake bill sir'.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 9558
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1857
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by phuketrichard » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:06 am

table42 wrote:In fairness I should have cited the thread which is
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... bodia.html

In this thread one of the destination"experts" is accusing ANZ of having ATMs that dispense counterfeit $100 bills. An accusation based entirely on hearsay. Intermingled with the issue are personalities that can't abide one another. Sound familiar?

Unfortunately TA has pretty much gutted the thread, I suspect out of fear of legal percussions.
destination"experts" LOL i love how they determine who is an "expert" seems all that is required to be one is put up plenty of posts
I look at the Cambodian, burma, thai section and i have never seen more misinformation on any one site
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
King Keil
Expatriate
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:47 pm
Reputation: 128
Armenia

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by King Keil » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:40 pm

I guy told us today, that he got two fake 100s at bread bank atm on norodom. Showed us the bills and it was that religious fake money for blessings.
When he told it to the woman at the counter she didn't follow up on it and instead claimed the money was scanned.
She didn't mention it being scanned by the atm though. Not the behaviour I expect by a bank in that case.
Only got this information second hand so just be careful while using that atm.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 9751
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 1501
Tokelau

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by Anchor Moy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:06 pm

King Keil wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:40 pm
I guy told us today, that he got two fake 100s at bread bank atm on norodom. Showed us the bills and it was that religious fake money for blessings.
When he told it to the woman at the counter she didn't follow up on it and instead claimed the money was scanned.
She didn't mention it being scanned by the atm though. Not the behaviour I expect by a bank in that case.
Only got this information second hand so just be careful while using that atm.
Not doubting you, but $100 bills are usually checked and double checked for fakery. Seems strange that a bank would not notice toy money.
User avatar
la8rat
Expatriate
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:39 pm
Reputation: 70
Great Britain

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by la8rat » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:49 pm

In my few weeks in cambodia 2015 and 2018 i always used atm's never a problem. I do think the fake/ceremony money is a huge pain in the arse though.
I totally get the cultural of why the locals want the ceremony money,.But given that cambodia is trying to updade its image and attract more tourists like myself. Could they not ban the fake dollar's and go for stupidly high denomination fake riel notes? instead.
Having someone swap a $100 on you is all to likely if you find yourself short of change. A 100,000 riel note ive never seen nor would i accept. But would do the job as toy money.
I also get that this probably will never happen. As fakes devalue currency, so much better to devalue someone elses currency than your own.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 3444
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Reputation: 607

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by Kuroneko » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:04 pm

la8rat wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:49 pm
In my few weeks in cambodia 2015 and 2018 i always used atm's never a problem. I do think the fake/ceremony money is a huge pain in the arse though.
They could use these instead, less chance of confusion :plus1:

Image
User avatar
la8rat
Expatriate
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:39 pm
Reputation: 70
Great Britain

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by la8rat » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:12 pm

Kuroneko wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:04 pm
la8rat wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:49 pm
In my few weeks in cambodia 2015 and 2018 i always used atm's never a problem. I do think the fake/ceremony money is a huge pain in the arse though.
They could use these instead, less chance of confusion :plus1:

Image
Yes its the real money lookalikes i was refering to. Im pretty sure everyone looks at the actual denomination.

Can i interest you in some crisp £3 notes?
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post