Coronavirus: Who has contacts in hospitals, MOH or other entities?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
siliconlife
Expatriate
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:29 pm
Reputation: 185
Togo

Re: Coronavirus: Who has contacts in hospitals, MOH or other entities?

Post by siliconlife » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:50 am

I think a little calm and cool is in order, tbh. The corona virus is new and scary, and it is NOT your usual flu, you're right. Influenza is FAR more deadly and widespread than the novel viruses born from wild meat markets in China. So you can sleep safe at night knowing that.

And come on, whatever happened to a novel coronavirus in Spain 100 years ago is not going to happen today, ffs. We've smashed two novel corona viruses in the last two decades, with less than 1000 fatalities each time.
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 4311
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 2568
Cambodia

Re: Coronavirus: Who has contacts in hospitals, MOH or other entities?

Post by clutchcargo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:15 am

Yerg wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:51 am
Chinese Ambassador to UK also recently made a speech that UK was over-reacting to the virus :lol:
Maybe they have reason to over-react..and they've seen this: post396902.html#p396902
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2070
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Coronavirus: Who has contacts in hospitals, MOH or other entities?

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:47 am

clutchcargo wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:15 am
Yerg wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:51 am
Chinese Ambassador to UK also recently made a speech that UK was over-reacting to the virus :lol:
Maybe they have reason to over-react..and they've seen this: post396902.html#p396902
Clutch ain't nobody to preach about over-reacting to nobody.
Look at his signature photograph and note the full spacesuit he has been wearing around Phnom Penh since 1992 when he first heard AIDS had arrived in town.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:26 am
Reputation: 13
United States of America

Re: Coronavirus: Who has contacts in hospitals, MOH or other entities?

Post by BrazilBoy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:09 am

Don’t get tested in Cambodia. You’re life will be fucked just for getting tested.
The CDC US told my apartment manager that I had just been tested and even though the test was negative, my family and I are still being thrown out.

Don’t get tested in Cambodia!
Fair warning.
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2070
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Coronavirus: Who has contacts in hospitals, MOH or other entities?

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:19 am

Cricket99 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:44 am
Image
LOL - excellent find, Cricket.

I note the reference to VapoRub - my dads old lifelong employer.
The Spanish flu, and the lie that Vicks VapoRub could fix it, drove the biz to become one of the biggest BigPharma drug pushers that still rule the medical world.

(Biz name and owner morphed a few times, like viruses do. Now Proctor and Gamble With Your Life)
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2815
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2191
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus: Who has contacts in hospitals, MOH or other entities?

Post by Doc67 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:22 am

Yerg wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:51 am
Mortality rate 2-3%. Yeah, I'd take those odds and not worry too much.

@SternAAlbifrons , Chinese Ambassador to UK also recently made a speech that UK was over-reacting to the virus :lol:
[/quote

I think the mortality rate is a bit misleading on it's own.

If you are young, fit and healthy, 3% is a raw deal. 1 in 33? Hmmm...

However, if you are 60+ with a pre-existing respiratory condition or other significant weakness, you would jump at that number. Maybe double to 6%?

Factor in a non existent healthcare system here with no ICU beds available (if it takes hold here, the rich Khmers will have first dibs on them), and that mortality rate will go up again. Maybe 10%? Who knows.

How many 60+ men in relatively poor health do you know? (overweight, hypertension, diabetes, heart condition, etc. etc.)

The most worrying thing so far for me is the fact that the 31 year old doctor who first publicised this virus died after 3.... yes THREE weeks in hospital, in intensive care too. (He was hospitalised since 12th January)

On 10 January, when China was still insisting there had been no new cases for a week, he started coughing then developed a fever. Two days later he was in hospital; his parents also fell ill.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus

The Chinese authorities know the pollical fallout of his death is much more damaging to them than him actually dying and you have to think that they would have down everything in the medical power to keep this man alive. And yet he died.

Does anyone know, or have ever heard of, any 31 years old to have died of 'the flu'?
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 2886
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 1073
Cambodia

Re: Coronavirus: Who has contacts in hospitals, MOH or other entities?

Post by Kammekor » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:43 am

Doc67 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:22 am

Does anyone know, or have ever heard of, any 31 years old to have died of 'the flu'?
Spanish flu was quite age selective. Virologists think it maybe because their immune system overreacted. Relatively many young people died of it
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2815
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2191
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus: Who has contacts in hospitals, MOH or other entities?

Post by Doc67 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:50 am

Kammekor wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:43 am
Doc67 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:22 am

Does anyone know, or have ever heard of, any 31 years old to have died of 'the flu'?
Spanish flu was quite age selective. Virologists think it maybe because their immune system overreacted. Relatively many young people died of it
I was thinking of within the last few decades, but I take your point.

What do you mean by age selective? I know Spanish flu did kill young healthy people as well, and seemingly quite quickly too, i.e. a few days, not weeks.

What's your take on the doctor dying?
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 2886
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 1073
Cambodia

Re: Coronavirus: Who has contacts in hospitals, MOH or other entities?

Post by Kammekor » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:17 pm

Doc67 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:50 am
Kammekor wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:43 am
Doc67 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:22 am

Does anyone know, or have ever heard of, any 31 years old to have died of 'the flu'?
Spanish flu was quite age selective. Virologists think it maybe because their immune system overreacted. Relatively many young people died of it
I was thinking of within the last few decades, but I take your point.

What do you mean by age selective? I know Spanish flu did kill young healthy people as well, and seemingly quite quickly too, i.e. a few days, not weeks.

What's your take on the doctor dying?
Flu is supposed to be age selective all the time, generally being more dangerous for the very young and very old. The Spanish flu was different. Not just the high mortality, but also because of the age distribution of the people dying of it. Young people were effected by it as well.

The story of this doc passing away is considered bad news by me. As mentioned above you'd expect the doc (33 yo?) to be a normal healthy person, I even read he wasn't a smoker so we can probably factor out that one too. Not the standard story about elderly with (loads) of underlying diseases. You'd also expect the CCP to do everything possible to keep this guy alive because of the social unrest his passing would cause. Now there's a real martyr, known nationwide, a symbol of the failure of the CCP in handling this crisis. If the Chinese don't know about it yet, they will find out about it sooner or later.

I still don't know what to make of the whole thing, other than that I don't believe any word the Chinese say. The low amount of people dying outside of China made me wonder a lot whether Asians or Chinese would be more vulnerable, but the video posted by @Clutchcargo (kind of) debunks that idea with the simple reason the rest of the World is probably 3-4 weeks behind Wuhan, maybe more. And 3-4 weeks ago not much seemed to be happening there as well.

User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2815
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2191
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus: Who has contacts in hospitals, MOH or other entities?

Post by Doc67 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:13 pm

Kammekor wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:17 pm
Doc67 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:50 am
Kammekor wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:43 am
Doc67 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:22 am

Does anyone know, or have ever heard of, any 31 years old to have died of 'the flu'?
Spanish flu was quite age selective. Virologists think it maybe because their immune system overreacted. Relatively many young people died of it
I was thinking of within the last few decades, but I take your point.

What do you mean by age selective? I know Spanish flu did kill young healthy people as well, and seemingly quite quickly too, i.e. a few days, not weeks.

What's your take on the doctor dying?
Flu is supposed to be age selective all the time, generally being more dangerous for the very young and very old. The Spanish flu was different. Not just the high mortality, but also because of the age distribution of the people dying of it. Young people were effected by it as well.

The story of this doc passing away is considered bad news by me. As mentioned above you'd expect the doc (33 yo?) to be a normal healthy person, I even read he wasn't a smoker so we can probably factor out that one too. Not the standard story about elderly with (loads) of underlying diseases. You'd also expect the CCP to do everything possible to keep this guy alive because of the social unrest his passing would cause. Now there's a real martyr, known nationwide, a symbol of the failure of the CCP in handling this crisis. If the Chinese don't know about it yet, they will find out about it sooner or later.

I still don't know what to make of the whole thing, other than that I don't believe any word the Chinese say. The low amount of people dying outside of China made me wonder a lot whether Asians or Chinese would be more vulnerable, but the video posted by @Clutchcargo (kind of) debunks that idea with the simple reason the rest of the World is probably 3-4 weeks behind Wuhan, maybe more. And 3-4 weeks ago not much seemed to be happening there as well.

I agree. This is likely to get much worse before the end of it. We are not even at the end of the beginning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: atst, bunfuntamun, Cinnamoncat, dirtymacca, Dunderhead, FrankReynolds, Google [Bot], phuketrichard, Spigzy, whatwat and 297 guests