Coronavirus Diaries

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2214
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by Doc67 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Wow, doc67, that really sucks for your trip, but as you say, you don't want to be stuck alone and possibly in lockdown in Mexico where you know nobody.
All the best for the return home. AM
Thanks AM.

Back in London now in time for panic buying etc. I have seen pictures of empty shelves and so I went round a Waitrose and a Marks & Spencer shops. Stocks were low in lots of stuff but still loads there. It is like Christmas. And I bet the same people who start queueing at 6am on Christmas eve to buy two trollies full of crap are the same people doing that now.

On the bright side, pubs are still open, HP Sauce is cheap and I can get some decent cheddar cheese. Not all bad...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11001
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2335
Tokelau

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by Anchor Moy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 pm

Doc67 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 pm
Anchor Moy wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Wow, doc67, that really sucks for your trip, but as you say, you don't want to be stuck alone and possibly in lockdown in Mexico where you know nobody.
All the best for the return home. AM
Thanks AM.

Back in London now in time for panic buying etc. I have seen pictures of empty shelves and so I went round a Waitrose and a Marks & Spencer shops. Stocks were low in lots of stuff but still loads there. It is like Christmas. And I bet the same people who start queueing at 6am on Christmas eve to buy two trollies full of crap are the same people doing that now.

On the bright side, pubs are still open, HP Sauce is cheap and I can get some decent cheddar cheese. Not all bad...
Cool. Good to hear you got back ok. As they say here, "Happy Ending for you". :D
Enjoy.
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2214
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by Doc67 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:13 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 pm
Doc67 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 pm
Anchor Moy wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Wow, doc67, that really sucks for your trip, but as you say, you don't want to be stuck alone and possibly in lockdown in Mexico where you know nobody.
All the best for the return home. AM
Thanks AM.

Back in London now in time for panic buying etc. I have seen pictures of empty shelves and so I went round a Waitrose and a Marks & Spencer shops. Stocks were low in lots of stuff but still loads there. It is like Christmas. And I bet the same people who start queueing at 6am on Christmas eve to buy two trollies full of crap are the same people doing that now.

On the bright side, pubs are still open, HP Sauce is cheap and I can get some decent cheddar cheese. Not all bad...
Cool. Good to hear you got back ok. As they say here, "Happy Ending for you". :D
Enjoy.
I even took a picture of all the food on the shelves of my local Tesco...

Image
User avatar
j57
Expatriate
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:46 pm
Reputation: 166
Location: Siem Reap
United States of America

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by j57 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:07 pm

I decided to go on a recon mission around Siem Reap tonight at 8:30pm to check on a buddy who runs a local bar close to barang pub street.
he was open for business as were most of the smaller Khmer joints...Larger venues that attract foreign clientele were closed.
I meant to check on him and his place but kept putting it off...for weeks.
Then, the KTV were closed and I thought I had missed my chance to see how he was doing..
He was open...very little business...so keeping distance was not an issue...
I was happy to have a few local rice shots with him and a few mojitos with real Cuban rum...and got home about 10pm..
I saw a handful of masks...
During the day, it is much more intense with alcohol gel everywhere and masks worn... including myself.
the cashiers at Angkor Market were wearing gloves yesterday...a change from just a few days before.
a smart move...
I gave my wife some gloves to carry when she was getting change at local markets...
I stocked up on food 2 weeks ago and keep adding to the inventory...We eat all of our meals at home anyway.
I have incredible German wheat beer..whisky..rum and my glaucoma medication is back to a level I can be sure to maintain my vision with...for the duration.
If the WUHAN CHINA FLU hits there are not enough respirators to go round...
Heavy smokers are in deep shit ...
I am better off here at my great apartment with my beautiful wife than back in the USA alone with a bunch of fucks hording toilet paper....
I think I will head over to LEE FROZEN FOOD tomorrow and spend a few bucks on Prime Beef and help them out. They certainly have a lot of inventory that hotels and restaurants did not purchase this season.
I suggest having a few weeks of supplies and helping out a few folks that are hurting...
This is a great learning experience.
I come from Kansas where people take being prepared serious and a lot are labeled whackos..
Not so much now..
SHTF...shit hit the fan preparedness...
I kind of am an in betweener..
But, I am using my principles here and being prepared is important.
I never trusted china and now that I have seen first hand how they covered this up...I am really ticked that I was traveling through Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hong Kong while this shit was being covered up in late November, December and January.
The world might think about this on the other side.
User avatar
truffledog
Expatriate
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:54 am
Reputation: 167
Italy

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by truffledog » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:15 am

update on Italy march 19th:

mortality rate still over 7% here. Scaring figure. 40% of world deaths are italian while China has 25 times the population. I hope that this is not the "normal" development for all countries that got hit later than Italy.

Image

instead of dropping or reaching a peak the numbers still rise exponentially even with the heaviest restrictions in place of all countries affected

Image

the exponential growth still going on, no signs of flattening like China

Image

Nobody will really talk about that but doctors have started selecting patients that are "worth" beeing treated and "others" are left to their destiny and sent home due to lack of beds in the ICU or needed apparel. And this is happening in one of the most industrialized countries of the world. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 8151
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 2332
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by Duncan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:33 am

Doc67 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:13 pm
Anchor Moy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 pm
Doc67 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 pm
Anchor Moy wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Wow, doc67, that really sucks for your trip, but as you say, you don't want to be stuck alone and possibly in lockdown in Mexico where you know nobody.
All the best for the return home. AM
Thanks AM.

Back in London now in time for panic buying etc. I have seen pictures of empty shelves and so I went round a Waitrose and a Marks & Spencer shops. Stocks were low in lots of stuff but still loads there. It is like Christmas. And I bet the same people who start queueing at 6am on Christmas eve to buy two trollies full of crap are the same people doing that now.

On the bright side, pubs are still open, HP Sauce is cheap and I can get some decent cheddar cheese. Not all bad...
Cool. Good to hear you got back ok. As they say here, "Happy Ending for you". :D
Enjoy.
I even took a picture of all the food on the shelves of my local Tesco...

Image

I see plenty of bread there, but any milk ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2214
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by Doc67 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:46 pm

truffledog wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:15 am
update on Italy march 19th:

mortality rate still over 7% here. Scaring figure. 40% of world deaths are italian while China has 25 times the population. I hope that this is not the "normal" development for all countries that got hit later than Italy.

Image

instead of dropping or reaching a peak the numbers still rise exponentially even with the heaviest restrictions in place of all countries affected

Image

the exponential growth still going on, no signs of flattening like China

Image

Nobody will really talk about that but doctors have started selecting patients that are "worth" beeing treated and "others" are left to their destiny and sent home due to lack of beds in the ICU or needed apparel. And this is happening in one of the most industrialized countries of the world. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
The death rate and the recovery are neck and neck. I don't see 7% anywhere. The trouble is that bad cases need intensive care and ventilators. When they run out the patients go downhill, fast. With full medical facilities the mortality rate might be 1%. With none it will be far higher. If you get it bad it's better that you do it soon. In 2 months you might not make it past the hospital car park.
User avatar
truffledog
Expatriate
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:54 am
Reputation: 167
Italy

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by truffledog » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:02 pm

[/quote]

The death rate and the recovery are neck and neck. I don't see 7% anywhere. The trouble is that bad cases need intensive care and ventilators. When they run out the patients go downhill, fast. With full medical facilities the mortality rate might be 1%. With none it will be far higher. If you get it bad it's better that you do it soon. In 2 months you might not make it past the hospital car park.
[/quote]

What about dividing 41000+ positive and already 3400 confirmed dead (more than China with 80-90K positive cases ? That makes 8,3% and thats the best case assuming that NONE of the remaining positive cases will die. Yesterday army trucks full of dead people from Bergamo had to bring them to outside cemeteries due to lack of space and staff to do the job.

Image

User avatar
lagrange
Expatriate
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:49 am
Reputation: 78
Panama

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by lagrange » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:15 am

Such a lot of topics about the virus, didnt know where to post this, so chose one at random. Anyway, here are my thoughts: SE Asia, mainly being VN, Cambo, Laos and MMR, have some of the lowest infection rates in the world. I reckon two possible reasons:
1. Lack of community testing / unreported cases
2. The fact that these communities are a bit 'non touchy feeley' - these folks generally dont hold hands, kiss, hug, shake hands much in public, if at all. Hey, look at the worst case Europeans, being Italy. Big huggers those Eyeties, kissing both cheeks - men as well as women, very physical society. Compared to say, Vietnam where its almost a social disgrace to hold hands in a public place.
Anyway, just some lockdown thoughts.
That old chestnut again, is it?
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 37354
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2129
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:14 pm

A terrible, and pathetic, tale from Kampot during the coronavirus epidemic:

Hey coronavirus diaries,
I'm "stuck" in Kampot. There's a huge Cham (Khmer-Muslim) community here and Ramadan (Muslim holiday with religious fasting and feasting) starts tonight. Lots of local people on the streets, driving along the Kampot riverfront, compared to these past few days. (The general population have been quiet recently, and the road traffic very calm.)

Expats in Kampot don't seem to understand about social distancing at all. When the first cases of coronavirus arrived in Cambodia, for the first few weeks nothing much happened in Kampot, until the local police closed the bars, then the restaurants, dormitories in hostels closed also. Then by magic, everything opened up again. It's the Cambodian paradox. I don't understand it, but everybody is having a party in Kampot. End of the world syndrome ???

A bit of social distancing at the bar after 10pm ? You are kidding right ?
Source: Kampot reporter on the scene.
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post