Content, or lack thereof

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 am
Reputation: 6

Re: Content, or lack thereof

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:31 am

phuketrichard wrote:
Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:Complaining won't help. Why don't all of you try to create some content. You can literally shape the flow of this site, so do it. Instead of complaining, create.

What discussions have we, the community, missed?
wait a minute;
now ur telling us to do something! :please:

or what
the forum will fail?

You seem like a nice guy but u cant make anyone post, if there is nothing interesting no one post

your posts for newbies on that other site is great but we are not newbies and
don't want restaurant reviews,
where to buy meds
where to get compost
where to stay

End of the day this forum is misfits from K440 an only so far u can go with misfits and those that want noting better to do than upset others.
No, I was asking a question. Relax Richard.
Last edited by Sir_Quality_U_Feel on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 am
Reputation: 6

Re: Content, or lack thereof

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:31 am

phuketrichard wrote:
Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:Complaining won't help. Why don't all of you try to create some content. You can literally shape the flow of this site, so do it. Instead of complaining, create.

What discussions have we, the community, missed?
wait a minute;
now ur telling us to do something! :please:

or what
the forum will fail?

You seem like a nice guy but u cant make anyone post, if there is nothing interesting no one post

your posts for newbies on that other site is great but we are not newbies and
don't want restaurant reviews,
where to buy meds
where to get compost
where to stay

End of the day this forum is misfits from K440 an only so far u can go with misfits and those that want noting better to do than upset others.
So, what is it that you want?
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 11364
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 2771
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Content, or lack thereof

Post by Username Taken » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:46 am

I was thinking about this lack of content just yesterday. I was thinking that maybe there could be like a blog section where members are invited to blog about whatever they want, and readers could comment directly to that particular blog.

But, poking around this morning I stumbled upon the 'Articles - Featured Articles' section, which is amazingly called blog.php
This is pretty much what I was thinking. And, it already exists!

The problem is that the site owners seem to want to promote the forum rather than promote the site itself.
If it were up to me, but it's not, I would make the blog.php the Home page, and the current 'Articles' link would become the 'Forum' link.

Next, I would encourage/invite certain members to blog anytime they mention an experience that could be blogged rather than just another forum post.
If the site is actually making some income now, then financial incentives could be paid to encourage said blogs. (A keg of beer and a free t-shirt) (or, money).

OD and GM know many of the posters personally, and those who aren't known personally but post regularly, their particular interests are known. These people could be encouraged to blog on their areas of interest/expertise relative to what the site is about (living here).

For example, there are some posters who like to wine and dine regularly, either at the top, middle or bottom end of the scale. Get one or two of them to provide a weekly dining review. Keep fresh content coming in.
Another example, keep an eye on the forums for potential blogs of interest. Recently, one member exited the kingdom for the first time in more than 12 years and visited his home country for the first time in 16 years. That could be an interesting read about how he found things after so many years.
Another example, on K440 this week there has been an interesting thread about a guy who caught a thief in his apartment on video. The story from start to finish would make a great blog post.
So many more examples come to mind. Even Richard's recent travels through Myanmar would be great. Sadly, it was posted on 440 including some great photos. (Maybe better we just attack Richard and tell him that no-one's interested in Thailand or Myanmar, then stick our heads back in the sand :facepalm: ).

2 cents.


@Richard and @Francis, nothing wrong with restaurant reviews. New ones opening all the time. If someone tries one and it's good, great tell us so we can try it too.
Any content is better than no content.




You can pay me in Karma. It makes me feel good. :beer3:
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 15
United States of America

Re: Content, or lack thereof

Post by OrangeDragon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:48 am

We have over 1600 topics. And are 4 months old.

That's 400 topics a month (averaged) or around 13 topics a day.

Some days/weeks/months will be heavier than others... it's bound to happen. Sometimes there really just isn't that much to discuss/people get busy/etc. It's Cambodia... we should all be used to lulls in the action from time to time, lol.

Yeah, we have a lot of lurkers. Awesome... let them lurk. For some people the reading is why they come, others the discussing. Takes all types. Posters who are worried that there's not fresh content are free to think some up... but don't force it. Like I said... forced content (something frank lee bent noticed a recent influx of over on another site) just doesn't look natural and isn't really enjoyable. You can usually tell it as it's the threads that will get 2-10 comments and then die off. Those aren't really any help either, because there's no discussion.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 15
United States of America

Re: Content, or lack thereof

Post by OrangeDragon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:57 am

Username Taken wrote:I was thinking about this lack of content just yesterday. I was thinking that maybe there could be like a blog section where members are invited to blog about whatever they want, and readers could comment directly to that particular blog.

But, poking around this morning I stumbled upon the 'Articles - Featured Articles' section, which is amazingly called blog.php
This is pretty much what I was thinking. And, it already exists!

The problem is that the site owners seem to want to promote the forum rather than promote the site itself.
If it were up to me, but it's not, I would make the blog.php the Home page, and the current 'Articles' link would become the 'Forum' link.

Next, I would encourage/invite certain members to blog anytime they mention an experience that could be blogged rather than just another forum post.
If the site is actually making some income now, then financial incentives could be paid to encourage said blogs. (A keg of beer and a free t-shirt) (or, money).

OD and GM know many of the posters personally, and those who aren't known personally but post regularly, their particular interests are known. These people could be encouraged to blog on their areas of interest/expertise relative to what the site is about (living here).

For example, there are some posters who like to wine and dine regularly, either at the top, middle or bottom end of the scale. Get one or two of them to provide a weekly dining review. Keep fresh content coming in.
Another example, keep an eye on the forums for potential blogs of interest. Recently, one member exited the kingdom for the first time in more than 12 years and visited his home country for the first time in 16 years. That could be an interesting read about how he found things after so many years.
Another example, on K440 this week there has been an interesting thread about a guy who caught a thief in his apartment on video. The story from start to finish would make a great blog post.
So many more examples come to mind. Even Richard's recent travels through Myanmar would be great. Sadly, it was posted on 440 including some great photos. (Maybe better we just attack Richard and tell him that no-one's interested in Thailand or Myanmar, then stick our heads back in the sand :facepalm: ).

2 cents.


@Richard and @Francis, nothing wrong with restaurant reviews. New ones opening all the time. If someone tries one and it's good, great tell us so we can try it too.
Any content is better than no content.




You can pay me in Karma. It makes me feel good. :beer3:
We go back and forth on the article section... while it's nice (and yeah, based on a blog engine... sort of...) and the articles concept are cool, the people we've given access to post on it really haven't. most of the ones you see there I manually put in from posts they made.

What I really need to do for that section to kick off is make it so that a poster can make a regular forum post and then have it ALSO be an article, with all comments being copied over as well. It's not about what we're promoting so much as what people post on. Even on 440 where the homepage was the articles a lot of people who are regular posters bookmark directly into the forums and never hit the front page. we sort of wanted to embrace that idea here, by making the articles a secondary aspect to the forums and then just letting people link inward to them when a relevant one came up. we are also (when time allows) working on a wiki section for the site. it will be MUCH more heavily moderated, mostly via user moderation (as wikis are), and not be a discussion platform so much as an information source.

as the general and I are both in transitioning phases, we're both guilty of not spending as much time with this site as we should have. pay advertising has been pushed back (so still free) for a little longer, and as such the site is actually bleeding money, not making it. so for now paying for articles would be a bit of a strain.
User avatar
takeoman
Expatriate
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 3:20 pm
Reputation: 85
Location: Takeo Province
Ireland

Re: Content, or lack thereof

Post by takeoman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:34 am

phuketrichard wrote:

It succeeds or fails on the posters, I for one wont post most new threads on Thailand cause when ever i do the idea /post is attacked by some poster so
whats the point

BTW k440 is having the same problem with quality post over the last few months.

My $.05 its not new anymore. most people have lived or visited Cambodia and Cambodia is becoming not the place it was a few years ago. Not as much to talk about an
look at the new posts;

What maintenance do you do?
$25 Orbitz Coupon w/Sign Up & 20% Code
Seed potatoes
Composting
Tony Soprano didn't die. Oh, spoiler alert.

BORING>>>>>>>
So what you are saying is you don't post because someone might disagree with you. I know you are a long term resident of Thailand, but that does not mean that we have to accept all your offerings as gospel, and not try to initiate a debate if we have a different take on things. I for one would have be interested in your travels in Burma but never got the chance, my intermittent connection out here in the sticks means my time on line is severely limited, and it is no longer available. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:31 pm
Reputation: 102
Cambodia

Re: Content, or lack thereof

Post by Pizzalover » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:48 pm

What sets the Cambodia boards aside from similar ones on Thailand and the Phils I am familiar with is this incredible degree of inbreeding. Perhaps the country is so small and has just a few places where foreigners congregate that the posters know each other well enough in person to confuse online with the evening in the pub. This would explain the infantile hostility against new-comers regularly expressed on the other board. Here it is much better.
What both boards sadly lack is a solid info section. Somehow all is anyhow known to all and not discussed. Apparently, there is no or hardly a need to share info on practical aspects. I know there were some posts and they do pop up but in volume and sometimes also in quality this is very poor as compared to those boards on Thailand or Phils.

A provocative thought: maybe the cambodia expats are less sophisticated than their peers in Thailand. Could it be that the proverbial Pattaya whore monger has more insights about Thailand than the expat philosophers from the GSM?

More seriously: This board is more inclusively than the other and that might make the difference in the long run. But I agree the actual content is not very enticing at the moment and I noticed my online time dropping (also on the other one where I do not post).
Joker Poker
Expatriate
Posts: 1344
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 9:37 pm
Reputation: 126

Re: Content, or lack thereof

Post by Joker Poker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:04 pm

I think both sites are struggling to find content ATM. As OD says, you can't force it.

Good stories will come. As someone suggested, it is the posters that make the site.

I find it really hard to gauge what will make a popular thread. Going by karma received, there is very little that I've posted that seems to be of interest to most readers. I don't know if that is a valid metric or not but I do wonder at times if it is worth the effort. Having said that, when GM first told me about the site I decided that I would make an effort to support it although there are times like the last few days that I have very little to say or I'm just plain busy.

I was a long-time reader and poster on 440 but it was clearly going off the rails so I stopped posting there last year otherwise it was like tacit support for KIR's outrageous behaviour. With support from members this site will flourish and hopefully not head down the 440 slippery slope.

Thoughts?
Francis
Expatriate
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:29 am
Reputation: 0
Vietnam

Re: Content, or lack thereof

Post by Francis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Pizzalover wrote:What sets the Cambodia boards aside from similar ones on Thailand and the Phils I am familiar with is this incredible degree of inbreeding. .......
What both boards sadly lack is a solid info section. Somehow all is anyhow known to all and not discussed.
That is sadly absolutely true
Pizzalover wrote:A provocative thought: maybe the cambodia expats are less sophisticated than their peers in Thailand.
That is NOT provocative. It's also true. The brutality an insularity of Cambodian society seems to rub off (ohhhh, now I'm going to get complaints)
Last edited by Francis on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
User avatar
General Mackevili
The General
Posts: 17027
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Reputation: 2001
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Content, or lack thereof

Post by General Mackevili » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:18 pm

takeoman wrote:
So what you are saying is you don't post because someone might disagree with you...
LoL, Richard just likes to complain. A hobby, if you will.

He complains that K440 is a circle jerk. Then he complains that CEO doesn't give him high-5's and pat him on the back every time he talks about Thailand.

Personally, I like Richard's posts and point of view, even though we seem to rarely agree on things. We don't turn to flaming each other when we don't agree, which is great.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post