Coins in Cambodia, or lack of.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Coins in Cambodia, or lack of.

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

When I come back to the states after visiting Cambodia it just feels "strange" to use coins again. I prefer how it is there with NO coins.

Does anyone else get a "culture shock" switching back and forth (coin/no coin) when they travel? Do you prefer coin or prefer no coin?

Is there a history anywhere that sheds detail on how Cambodia ended up with no coins? Were there coins in use before the KR period (besides the French Indochina coins)?

Thanks in advance for any opinions and/or history you can share on the subject.

oh.... appropriate here.
What, Me worry?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Coins in Cambodia, or lack of.

Post by timmydownawell »

I don't miss them. But from a government cost point of view, they would save money by switching 100r, 500r and 1000r to coins, because the notes wear out so fast. Or at least switch to polymer notes.

The US should switch to polymer notes as well, but that's another story.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
rasputin
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by rasputin »

Retire the penny!

Retire the nickel too.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:35 pm Were there coins in use before the KR period (besides the French Indochina coins)?

There were coins before and after the French in all the regimes other than Pol Pot's (the useless cunt).

1847 Tical from Ang Duong's reign. These old coins with cockeral type designs have been around a long time:

50 Sen 1959 (The original Riel when introduced was somewhere, if I remember correctly, around par with the US dollar, so had to be divided into smaller units):

1970 1 Riel coin from Lon Nol period:

1974 10,000 Riel gold coin (!) There's an interesting story behind these:
Image Image

1975 5000 riel silver coin.
ImageImage

1979 PRK period 5 Sen. I don't think these were widely used I don't believe the Riel was widely reintroduced till 1980.

There were State of Cambodia coins but I can only find commemorative examples that don't count as normal currency. The last coins seem to be from around 1994, these bi-metallic 500 Riels coins from that year are nice. I've rarely actually seen any coins here, I guess most people were poverty stricken in those days and not too interested in collecting coins for display cases!
ImageImage

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/cambodge-2.html
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Western countries did not explore its jungle until late in the nineteenth century, but when French colonialism took hold in Indochina, the “piaster” became the local currency, equivalent on par with more common Spanish “pieces of eight” and Mexican Pesos.

The first riel actually appeared in 1953, issued at par with the existing piaster, as the French tried to appeal to local demands for regional currencies in Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam.

The riel was initially subdivided into 100 centimes, abbreviated to “cent.” on the coins, but this was modified to 100 “sen” in 1959.

During the Khmer Rouge regime from 1975 to 1979, new banknotes were printed, but never issued.

As government institutions broke down, no visible monetary system existed until a new riel was introduced in 1980 during the Vietnamese occupation.

In many cases the government actually gave away the currency to the populace in rural areas because there was no prior currency to replace.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... el-history
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:51 pm
The US should switch to polymer notes as well, but that's another story.
Was wondering about this while reading the "fake notes from ATM" thread. Surely polymer notes are more difficult to counterfeit?
joelightcloud
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by joelightcloud »

Whenever I go overseas to countries that uses coins I come back with pockets full because I no longer know how to use them. "culture shock" it is.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Go to England if you like coins... A night in the pub will leave you with pockets full of the crap; 1p 2p 5p 10p 20p 50p £1 and finally £2 ($2.60). Try as hard as you like, you always end up with loads of them which end up at home all over the nightstand. Unless you are waving a note around in a busy pub, the staff will probably ignore you.

On my last visit I capitulated and started using my debit card each time I went to the bar and now my bank statement for those two months reveals that I am, in fact, a major league pisshead. Good luck getting a remortgage with a statement like that, but thats another conversation...
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

The GBP is crap full stop, or period as some would say.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic