Cambodians and Suicide

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Cambodians and Suicide

Post by StroppyChops » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:17 pm

ali baba wrote:I'm a native speaker of English so I can express myself more clearly in English than many Khmer...
I fixed that for you. I think/hope.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Hell, for many years now there are English schools in every corner of the country and almost everybody studies English for many, many years and then you get such results. Caramba.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:34 pm

Joker Poker wrote:That's a valid point giblet, but I suspect that more go into sex work because of their desire to have consumer items. They fall in love with the nice clothes, i-phones, gold jewellery, make-up, perfumes and general trappings - and of course, the overarching love of money. Sure they give money to family and dead beat boyfriends, but as I've found out, in face-saving cultures what people tell you is so often not representative of the life they lead.

A lot will tell you that they give nearly all their money to family. But when you get to know them a bit you start to realise how much they squander.
Of course. And I don't think that everyone goes into sex work because of medical bills, but medical bills are one of the main causes of bankruptcy in the US and in Cambodia, they are one of the main reasons people go into debt. Of course if people were more financially responsible this would be less likely to happen, but that doesn't negate the fact that it's often illness that precipitates the decision to go into debt or get into the sex industry.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:48 pm

StroppyChops wrote:
ali baba wrote:I'm a native speaker of English so I can express myself more clearly in English than many Khmer...
Thankyou sir. My engleesh no so guud. I still learning.
Scarier than malaria.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:25 pm

ali baba wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Thankyou sir. My engleesh no so guud. I still learning.
No problum.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic