Cambodian traffic bribes video.

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Cambodian traffic bribes video.

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:58 am

Not sure if this has video been posted yet. If so delete this thread.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=ugJw5_1575550930

[media]https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=ugJw5_1575550930[/media]

Sure looks like KOW badges on the shoulder, and the buildings look to be Phnom Penh. Bonus points if anyone knows exactly where this intersection is?

Is this a common (bribing at intersections) thing now?
What, Me worry?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Cambodian traffic bribes video.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:01 am

The idea that seeing the world is going from place to place to look at obvious things is an illusion natural to dull minds.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:29 pm

in 2004 i went from Lusaka Zambia to Shiwa Ngandu....Simon, a fine fellow from the region was driving...He loaded up on newspapers, cigarettes, loose tobacco and we headed North....road block after road block he handed out the appropriate bribe... depending on rank I presume.
In Jamaica police would step out of the jungle looking for 'anyting illegal mon' and scare the shit out of you....
i learned the useful lesson....keep your high in your head mon...cause they can't search your brains...
In the USA when I was young you had roads like the famous route 66 that went through small towns.
the speed limit would drop drastically and you would get popped before you could slow down...you would have to either pay the cop in cash or once we had to follow him to the courthouse...at night and put the cash in a lock box...the old speed trap...

paying a few bucks to get down the road is nothing new or unique to Cambodia.

great video...
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:58 am
Sure looks like KOW badges on the shoulder, and the buildings look to be Phnom Penh.
and he is speaking Khmer.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:14 pm

Traffic "fines" are part of the Cambodian traffic police income. Cambodia is not the only country that functions like this. Some fines are negociable, and there are others that are fixed price (but also negociable.)
On the other hand, did you ever try to bargain your fine with a western traffic cop ? :?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:30 am

Anchor Moy wrote:On the other hand, did you ever try to bargain your fine with a western traffic cop ? :?
It used to be all relative in the west. Cops are human, too. Go with ‘I’m big and important’ bargaining and the cop will want to stick it to you even more. Be sincerely sorry (or seriously lost), and the cop might just give you a warning and let you go.

Nowadays, cops are being replaced by the damn cameras. Human factor (unfortunately) gone. Ticket is just mailed to your home. There is only pay.
tuktuk
Tourist
United States of America

Post by tuktuk » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:55 am

Were those 10 dollar bills or ones? Either way it's a lot to pay just to cross the road.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:09 pm

It's a system that, from a Khmer point of view, works. Bribes make up a substantial part of a police officers income, meaning the government doesn't have to pay them as much, and as far morals are concerned, if you don't want to pay the bribe / fine, don't break the law.
tuktuk
Tourist
United States of America

Post by tuktuk » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:34 pm

xandreu wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:09 pm
if you don't want to pay the bribe / fine, don't break the law.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic