Cambodian driver license

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 pm
Reputation: 375
Location: Bangkok/Pattaya
Canada

Cambodian driver license

Post by ExPenhMan »

Hello all,

I used to live in Phnom Penh and had a Cambodian license, now expired. Anyone with recent experience of getting a new license at Lucky Lucky or similar agency. What is required and how much?

Thanks

PS My first post as a refugee from That Other Forum. Best of luck to the CEO band of brothers!
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 3585
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 752

Re: Cambodian driver license

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

For a car or motorbike? Do you have a valid license from your home country?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
User avatar
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 pm
Reputation: 375
Location: Bangkok/Pattaya
Canada

Re: Cambodian driver license

Post by ExPenhMan »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:For a car or motorbike? Do you have a valid license from your home country?
I have 5-year Thai license and Thai IDP for both car and motorbike. My Cdn license sits in Canada at the moment.
User avatar
LTO
Expatriate
Posts: 1384
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:28 pm
Reputation: 7
Location: KH
Contact:

Re: Cambodian driver license

Post by LTO »

How expired is your Cambodian licence? I've allowed mine to expire a couple times, but never more than a couple/few months, and they still renew it for me when I apply.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
User avatar
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 pm
Reputation: 375
Location: Bangkok/Pattaya
Canada

Re: Cambodian driver license

Post by ExPenhMan »

I think it's too old. It says 10-02-2013 for expiry. I think that means Feb. 10 based on when I was resident.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1029
Australia

Re: Cambodian driver license

Post by StroppyChops »

Good question. What's the process for getting a KH drivers license (car and bike) with a valid Aussie license?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 3585
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 752

Re: Cambodian driver license

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I used to have one for bikes and it's as easy as pie. Walk in at lucky lucky or any similar place, give them your license, some passport pictures and $$$ and you'll get a license within a month or so (they'll give you a temporary license until you get the actual one). Used to be 30$ or so, but last time I enquired it was 50-60$ if I'm not mistaken. Still pretty straightforward though. I've heard about the process for a car license, but having never gone through it myself I'll let experienced members give you up to date information.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 1:12 pm
Reputation: 83
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian driver license

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Slightly off topic but do be careful not to loose you KH DL.
I was once told by a lady friend of mine, working at the ministry of transport that one is only allowed to have it redone 3 times... After that ? No more was her answer...
Joker Poker
Expatriate
Posts: 1350
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 9:37 pm
Reputation: 126

Re: Cambodian driver license

Post by Joker Poker »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:Slightly off topic but do be careful not to loose you KH DL.
I was once told by a lady friend of mine, working at the ministry of transport that one is only allowed to have it redone 3 times... After that ? No more was her answer...

That would be easy if people would stop stealing mine, and the wallet that housed it...

I didn't bother renewing it around the expiry date and that will be coming up again in August this year. I look at it as a small compensation for all the stuff that's been nicked from me and the foreigner tax that you pay every darn day.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1029
Australia

Re: Cambodian driver license

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I used to have one for bikes and it's as easy as pie. Walk in at lucky lucky or any similar place, give them your license, some passport pictures and $$$ and you'll get a license within a month or so (they'll give you a temporary license until you get the actual one). Used to be 30$ or so, but last time I enquired it was 50-60$ if I'm not mistaken. Still pretty straightforward though. I've heard about the process for a car license, but having never gone through it myself I'll let experienced members give you up to date information.
Thanks, good information and I'll wait for more posts on the car drivers licence. What/where is Lucky Lucky?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post