Cambodia-you make me cry

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
ruralvoice
Expatriate

Cambodia-you make me cry

Post by ruralvoice » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:16 pm

The following quote lifted from today's Phnom Penh Post is the closest I have ever heard from the powers that be describe the government honestly. Not that we didn't know already.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said, however, that critics such as Mr. Virak had to be kept in check because the population was accustomed to a single ruler—and simply not ready to embrace political plurality.

“We have only one king, not two…. Ou Virak won’t understand that,” he said

One power fits all.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Cambodia-you make me cry

Post by Duncan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:34 pm

ruralvoice wrote:The following quote lifted from today's Phnom Penh Post is the closest I have ever heard from the powers that be describe the government honestly. Not that we didn't know already.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said, however, that critics such as Mr. Virak had to be kept in check because the population was accustomed to a single ruler—and simply not ready to embrace political plurality.

One power fits all.

If you have lived in Cambodia long enough , you would change your thread to.
. Cambodia - you make me laugh.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
ruralvoice
Expatriate

Post by ruralvoice » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:07 pm

I've lived here over 15 years and I've lived with Cambodians, in fact I'm the only foreigner in the village. We all laugh, but not about this.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:15 pm

ruralvoice wrote:I've lived here over 15 years and I've lived with Cambodians, in fact I'm the only foreigner in the village. We all laugh, but not about this.
Strangely enough, a Cambodian I was talking to last year said it will start in the villages.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:24 pm

ruralvoice wrote:I've lived here over 15 years and I've lived with Cambodians, in fact I'm the only foreigner in the village. We all laugh, but not about this.
Have patience dear fellow, I'm sure when the drought is over and it is pissing down with rain no-one will see [ or care about ] the tears you are crying.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
ruralvoice
Expatriate

Post by ruralvoice » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:27 pm

Your condescension of a rather complex problem ignores the issue Duncan.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:39 pm

I think in the next sentence he said that "the opposition is the enemy", which I found even more troubling.

If this is their way of thinking, why don't they just say that Cambodia is not a democracy? Because they need to keep that foreign aid coming in I guess...
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:36 pm

bong.kuit wrote:I think in the next sentence he said that "the opposition is the enemy", which I found even more troubling.

If this is their way of thinking, why don't they just say that Cambodia is not a democracy? Because they need to keep that foreign aid coming in I guess...
Problem is that foreign aid is increasingly coming from China who really don't give a fuck. HE is doing his usual. I wonder if he'll play the old Khmer Rouges' songs leading up to the next election again. Intimidation and fear. Al Capone.

Don't forget HE is a god-king.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:28 pm

Duncan wrote:
ruralvoice wrote:The following quote lifted from today's Phnom Penh Post is the closest I have ever heard from the powers that be describe the government honestly. Not that we didn't know already.

One power fits all.

If you have lived in Cambodia long enough , you would change your thread to.

. Cambodia - you make me laugh.
Duncan, you are a yoyo.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:34 pm

juansweetpotato wrote:
bong.kuit wrote:I think in the next sentence he said that "the opposition is the enemy", which I found even more troubling.

Problem is that foreign aid is increasingly coming from China who really don't give a fuck. HE is doing his usual. I wonder if he'll play the old Khmer Rouges' songs leading up to the next election again. Intimidation and fear. Al Capone.

Don't forget HE is a god-king.
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic