Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 4620
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2744
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

'Agree with all of that, Techiet. (although obviously i am highly sceptic, and urge great caution)

I don't disagree with the last line
"... so much depends on who is in control, and who designs the system."

but i really (really really) want to make the point, in capitals
that WE individually need to be the ones who are in control.
That includes not just adopting everything - just because it seems like everybody else is rushing in. almost totally uninformed.

To do that requires full commitment.
We are being dragged into this too easily, and too naively,
and by so many hidden forces - (not only sinister ones)

I will go some places with tech, but most certainly, I am not simply going to just go with the flow.
Uh Uh!

But for society at large, what you say is pretty true.
And don't forget - that as democrats who believe in government by the people - we have a duty to engage in public policy issues. Support those who are pushing for good, strong, regulation and parameter setting.
User avatar
fazur
Expatriate
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:03 am
Reputation: 358
Norway

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by fazur »

Mishmash wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:43 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:20 am I'm gonna double down on the fools bit ^^^ just for a bit of :mrgreen: fun..

Fact
Anyone, at this point, who puts Siri or Alexa in their living room is dammedfenukle fool.


:stir:
Or a TV

https://www.consumerreports.org/televis ... rts-finds/
FTFY
User avatar
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Posts: 1788
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Reputation: 885
Kiribati

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by Phnom Poon »

Clemen wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:10 am retardery and obviously irrelevant quotes from other threads
are you a little retarded clemen or just have reading problems?

anyway, another article that resonates with what I've commented in this thread:
https://m.signalvnoise.com/i-went-to-se ... he-future/

.

monstra mihi bona!
User avatar
fazur
Expatriate
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:03 am
Reputation: 358
Norway

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by fazur »

agre ethat tech is a tool that can be used fro good or evil, but robotics seems largely intent on depriving the poorest of an income when so many are unemployed, imho.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1146
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by Mishmash »

fazur wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:31 am
Mishmash wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:43 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:20 am I'm gonna double down on the fools bit ^^^ just for a bit of :mrgreen: fun..

Fact
Anyone, at this point, who puts Siri or Alexa in their living room is dammedfenukle fool.


:stir:
Or a TV

https://www.consumerreports.org/televis ... rts-finds/
FTFY
True - I stand corrected.

In fact I am damn sure my phone listens in or watches.

Many times I have spoken about something and next thing I get an ad.

Checking the net about people experiencing a similar phenomena, it appears that it is an urban legend, but I'm not inclined to believe that.

It maybe that the predictive AI is extremely powerful, based on the data it has on me and extrapolates from there to guess my next move.

Just my location data timeline is packed with info.

The AI can easily see who I was with at what time and place, and if I used a card then knows a hell of a lot more.
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 4620
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2744
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Am I an extremist because i will not own any device that tracks me?
Not because i am a criminal, a terrorist or an adulterer
- just because it is incompatible with traditional notions of a free society.

And that i refuse to reside, or spend most of my active life, under constant public surveillance.
As much as is possible, certainly including outside my house.

I am not paranoid, at all. I just really value my privacy for some weird reason.

Us older folk remember stories from the Cold War - of watchers on every corner, noting everything, in some of the communist world.
It made us shudder - and wonder how people could live like that....
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 3686
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by clutchcargo »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:06 am Am I am an extremist because i will not own any device that tracks me?
Not because i am a criminal, a terrorist or an adulterer
- just because it is incompatible with traditional notions of a free society.

And that i refuse to reside, or spend most of my active life, under constant public surveillance.
As much as is possible, certainly including outside my house.

I am not paranoid, at all. I just really value my privacy for some weird reason.

Us older folk remember stories from the Cold War - of watchers on every corner, noting everything, in some of the communist world.
It made us shudder - and wonder how people could live like that....
I'm with you on that. I turn off the voice assistants on my smart phone and laptop. I refuse to give FB my phone number (despite it asking numerous times) and I don't put my whole life story including my personal dramas like so many ppl do on there. I will not let google chrome help me manage my passwords and I won't let it automatically upload all my pics to the cloud. I won't let apps and programs send information of my usage to their servers.
Some of these things are getting too invasive imo...cheesh!
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 12734
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 3437
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by phuketrichard »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:31 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:06 am Am I am an extremist because i will not own any device that tracks me?
Not because i am a criminal, a terrorist or an adulterer
- just because it is incompatible with traditional notions of a free society.

And that i refuse to reside, or spend most of my active life, under constant public surveillance.
As much as is possible, certainly including outside my house.

I am not paranoid, at all. I just really value my privacy for some weird reason.

Us older folk remember stories from the Cold War - of watchers on every corner, noting everything, in some of the communist world.
It made us shudder - and wonder how people could live like that....
I'm with you on that. I turn off the voice assistants on my smart phone and laptop. I refuse to give FB my phone number (despite it asking numerous times) and I don't put my whole life story including my personal dramas like so many ppl do on there. I will not let google chrome help me manage my passwords and I won't let it automatically upload all my pics to the cloud. I won't let apps and programs send information of my usage to their servers.
Some of these things are getting too invasive imo...cheesh!
agree.
I dont own a smart phone, (love my 7 year old Nokia)
Once you start using the cloud ur on a never ending trap .....
Never, ever post on fb where i am (no idea why so many do)

Now take it a wee step further, Just cause you die, do you want some random forum to post all ur dirty laundry online for everyone to see forevermore??

Should be an opt out here if we DO NOT want our deaths reported>>
Those that know me will know i am gone, those that dont....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rogerrabbit
Expatriate
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 1:17 am
Reputation: 131

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by rogerrabbit »

DonVonttila wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:34 pm
Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:36 am bah keep it for the racetrack and road trips
cars have no place in cities

what is meant by 'smart city', can you give some examples?
or is it code for 'surveillance city'
Obviously "smart city" is a code for totalitarism its showing so clearly in My home country, dont ruin Cambodia to please 😂💔😀, but i Guess i wont be to Long now before Cambodia also adopt a "social credit Score system". After all its turning into China 2.0 :( .
Here are couple real life smart city examples that are used in my hometown:

1) Residential waste bins and litter bins in parks and walkways knows how full they are and sends the data to cloud. Then the AI is able to create most efficient routes for garbage trucks each day. This way hardly ever the bins gets too full and lot of fuel and many work hours are saved for more productive work.
2) When trucks clean the streets they have cameras that recognise potholes, washed-out street markings and outgrown vegetion/trees that needs trimming. All this data again is sent to cloud, computers makes calculations and creates heat maps so city officials can easily see the problem areas.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:44 pm
Reputation: 232
United States of America

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by Electric Earth »

Mishmash wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:47 am In fact I am damn sure my phone listens in or watches.
Well if you carry an android, it's blatantly in the fine print. They're definitely listening. And if you carry an iphone, but have downloaded certain apps(facebook messenger, etc), it's in their fine print too. So yeah, your phone is probably listening and possibly watching.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: atst, Ingvar 7788, jaynewcastle, nerdlinger, SEAdude, truffledog and 617 guests