Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Cambodia's appeal: do you hope it goes hi-tech or stays simple?

Post by Phnom Poon »

Clemen wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:34 pm
Phnom Poon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:39 am
techietraveller84 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:03 am For some countries, like China and Laos, this can result in a surveillance state. For others, incredible convenience for residents. For most, it's a mix.
'convenience', but who's, ultimately?
what's the likely outcome for cambodia?
Well, that's what the discussion is about. . .
So, what are your thoughts? . . .
Personally I'm a reluctant Luddite at heart. . .
a discussion, though I think the OP is on the pro side, and possibly scouting for opportunities

luddites weren't against technology, they were against the way it was being used to commoditize workers

my thoughts are above, a slightly amish view that technology should serve 'humanity'

unfortunately i think cambodia will implement whatever tech has contracts with the best baksheesh
and anything that gives the regime more control

monstra mihi bona!
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

a discussion, though I think the OP is on the pro side, and possibly scouting for

And what if he is? Is he rolling in the tanks tomorrow?
The topic is "do You"
I see "no thoughts above"
What do you see as the benefits or disadvantages of smart city design?
I personally would love to see energy allocation based on need, not wealth. Population density used for wastewater treatment etc. technology can be used to assess things like this.
Will the KoW be business as usual, undoubtedly, but, again, that was not the initial focus of this thread.
up to you...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

read my posts?

the question was 'do expats and locals want development and ever increasing technology, or prefer to keep things simple?'

the question itself is loaded; do you want development, or remain 'simple'?

even so my personal expat answer is 'it depends'
of course EDC and PPWSA should use their best tech to deliver service
but probably no to 'smart city', whatever that really means, for cambodia, on balance

and the reason is, people
over algorithms, apps, api's, auditing and authority

monstra mihi bona!
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

As is so often the case with technology, the most important consideration isn’t what the technology does: it’s who the technology does it to, and who it does it for.
The case for ... cities that aren't dystopian surveillance states

much better, but i'd still want very much more trust in the phone
though is even this palm-strewn primrose path a good way for us to live?

Such a city depends on a responsive, legitimate government
lol

monstra mihi bona!
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Phnom Poon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:35 pm "read my posts?"
Did you mean this one "
is it not 'ms lgbtq cambodia', going by the panel of judges?"
This one "'convenience', but who's, ultimately?
what's the likely outcome for cambodia?"
This one "lol
i guess they just fall over otherwise
"
Or this one" if your saying bagels from NY suck, where can you get bagels that you think are worthy of your taste buds? Kraków? Cadbury's Flake...... Beats a Bagel anyday.. Usually comes with a lady to.... let you know how your 'stick' will be eaten"
Do you have anything to say on the actual subject, or are you just wasting bandwidth?
I await your irrelevant response
up to you...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

slavery by increment
Those who think we always make rational choices -

of our own free will
that will suit us best in the long run
with equal power in the decision making
fully informed
understanding the long term implications
un-manipulated

that parameters won't be shifted to suit those who run the show. when it is already too late
that this tech is actually always what it says it is
or makes life as efficient as the boosters say it does
that it has so little down-side
that the things we are losing have so little value
that we are not being arm-twisted

- are tripping, or fools

(imo only)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I'm gonna double down on the fools bit ^^^ just for a bit of :mrgreen: fun..

Fact
Anyone, at this point, who puts Siri or Alexa in their living room is dammedfenukle fool.

:stir:
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:20 am I'm gonna double down on the fools bit ^^^ just for a bit of :mrgreen: fun..

Fact
Anyone, at this point, who puts Siri or Alexa in their living room is dammedfenukle fool.

:stir:
Or a Samsung TV

https://www.consumerreports.org/televis ... rts-finds/
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

There are two schools of thought when it comes to tech and smart cities. One is all about surveillance and control, while the other is motivated by convenience and efficiency.

Chinese leadership is clear about its intent: surveillance and control, in the name of social stability.

I worry that Cambodia and China have cozied up so much already that the Chinese model will be adopted and paid for by Cambodia, then installed and possibly managed by China. Interesting take by Professor Christopher Balding, who was fired from his professorship in China not too long ago for his candid appraisals of conditions in that country.
https://www.baldingsworld.com/2019/06/1 ... tarianism/

Anyhow, part of me would love to see Cambodia remain "simple," that is friendly, neighborly people who get to know other real people and spend time in the human community rather than obsess over smart phones, apps and social media. Simple is ordering at the counter at a coffee shop instead of through an app. Simple means going out into the community to shop, rather than buying online and having items shipped directly to the front door.

At the same time though, the conveniences that come through technology could benefit the people of Cambodia through better access to education and information, better understanding of how infrastructure is being utilized and where improvements are needed, assistance with avoiding traffic jams, better access to law enforcement and government services, etc.

Like others in this thread have noted, so much depends on who is in control, and who designs the system.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

techietraveller84 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:54 am There are two schools of thought when it comes to tech and smart cities. One is all about surveillance and control, while the other is motivated by convenience and efficiency.

Chinese leadership is clear about its intent: surveillance and control, in the name of social stability.

I worry that Cambodia and China have cozied up so much already that the Chinese model will be adopted and paid for by Cambodia, then installed and possibly managed by China. Interesting take by Professor Christopher Balding, who was fired from his professorship in China not too long ago for his candid appraisals of conditions in that country.
https://www.baldingsworld.com/2019/06/1 ... tarianism/

Anyhow, part of me would love to see Cambodia remain "simple," that is friendly, neighborly people who get to know other real people and spend time in the human community rather than obsess over smart phones, apps and social media. Simple is ordering at the counter at a coffee shop instead of through an app. Simple means going out into the community to shop, rather than buying online and having items shipped directly to the front door.

At the same time though, the conveniences that come through technology could benefit the people of Cambodia through better access to education and information, better understanding of how infrastructure is being utilized and where improvements are needed, assistance with avoiding traffic jams, better access to law enforcement and government services, etc.

Like others in this thread have noted, so much depends on who is in control, and who designs the system.
A great post.

I like the idea of my fridge knowing what I eat and ordering stuff directly from the wholesalers - it's efficiency at its best.

However, it's nice to talk to real people and experience the great outdoors.

Like you, I am afraid of the Chinese system as it is thinly disguised brainwashed slavery for humanity.

The 'Social Credit' system is truly a terrifying prospect happening right here right now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic