BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
Brody
Expatriate
Posts: 2208
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm
Reputation: 1270
Cambodia

Re: BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

Post by Brody » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Username Taken wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:59 pm
Brody wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:57 pm
Same here.
In that case maybe it's by design. Let's wait and see what GM has to say.
By design?

When I log off, any recent post is right there where it should be. It's only when I'm logged in that the recent postings are all messed up.

So if it were by design, then it's only designed to effect my view of it, when I am logged in. Not sure why he would design that.
User avatar
fax
Expatriate
Posts: 1924
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:28 am
Reputation: 788
Korea North

Re: BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

Post by fax » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:25 pm

It's by design. The "Recent topics" feature is based on your most recent unread topics. When you are logged out there is no record of what you have and have not read because this is normally tracked per user account which you haven't specified because you are logged out. When you are logged in it will confusingly display a list of the most recent thread with an unread post. If you visit the last page of the "most recent" thread and go back to the front page the 2nd option on the list will be the 1st because the previous 1st thread with the most recent unread has become read on your account and is no longer displayed in the list at all.

I agree that it is confusing but UT is right, it's by design in accordance to someone's confusing logic.

Ideally it should display the same items when you are logged in and out. They should remove the condition that limits the list to display based on read status.
Last edited by fax on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Brody
Expatriate
Posts: 2208
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm
Reputation: 1270
Cambodia

Re: BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

Post by Brody » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:49 pm

fax wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:25 pm
It's by design. The "Recent topics" feature is based on your most recent unread topics. When you are logged out there is no record of what you have and have not read because this is normally tracked per user account which you haven't specified because you are logged out. When you are logged in it will confusingly display a list of the most recent thread with an unread post. If you visit the last page of the "most recent" thread and go back to the front page the 2nd option on the list will be the 1st because the previous 1st thread with the most recent unread has become read on your account and is no longer displayed in the list at all.

I agree that it is confusing but UT is right, it's by design in accordance to someone's confusing logic.

Ideally it should display the same items when you are logged in and out. They should remove the condition that limits the list to display based on read status.


Ahhhh, got it. Yeah, it is confusing but your explanation of it makes sense.

Thanks brocephus!

Image
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 10187
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 1675
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

Post by Username Taken » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:37 pm

Brody wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:49 pm
Image

You're welcome. :beer3:
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
User avatar
General Mackevili
The General
Posts: 16362
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Reputation: 1489
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

Post by General Mackevili » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:49 pm

By recent design, indeed.

Now that you know how it works, do you like it this way (where it only shows you unread topics, and after you've read the last post it's gone from the list) or how it was before?

The reasoning was kind of 'why keep a post that you've already read at the top of your page?'
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
Brody
Expatriate
Posts: 2208
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm
Reputation: 1270
Cambodia

Re: BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

Post by Brody » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:54 pm

General Mackevili wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:49 pm
By recent design, indeed.

Now that you know how it works, do you like it this way (where it only shows you unread topics, and after you've read the last post it's gone from the list) or how it was before?

The reasoning was kind of 'why keep a post that you've already read at the top of your page?'
No big deal either way for me. A quick FYI would have been cool....I thought my account was going wonky, lol.
User avatar
fax
Expatriate
Posts: 1924
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:28 am
Reputation: 788
Korea North

Re: BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

Post by fax » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:11 pm

General Mackevili wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:49 pm
'why keep a post that you've already read at the top of your page?'
Because that's where it was found and after clicking the Back button you have no idea how to find it again.

The content of a website shouldn't change by clicking a link to go to another page. It's a violation of basic web dev principles.

Think of it as a newspaper. It's weird if you turn the page, turn it back, and the contents are changed.

Here's a list of other popular websites that change the front page content when an article link is clicked:

1.
User avatar
Brody
Expatriate
Posts: 2208
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm
Reputation: 1270
Cambodia

Re: BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

Post by Brody » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:14 pm

fax wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:11 pm
Because that's where it was found and after clicking the Back button you have no idea how to find it again.
That's a good point. Even when you just give a post a karma point or whatever it's called now, the topic moves.

So if you're not paying attention to what thread the post was in, you'd have to hunt around a bit to find it again.


NB: boy I'm loving fax today....helpful and coherent. He's rarely either and never both.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 299
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:48 pm

Is anybody else getting weird notifications?
I have had two notifications, and EMAILS, advising of two different "Replys" (not "Quoted by").

One of the replies was a normal "quoted" response to one of my posts.
The other referred to posts between two totally different people.

I don't think i have ever received notifications about "Replies" before - and certainly never emails.
I've sent PM and Report this Post queries to mods but they are not clearing my outbox, not yet anyway.
?????

(or maybe i just blew a fuse somewhere by over-posting today. :color )
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 10187
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 1675
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

Post by Username Taken » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:12 am

SternAAlbifrons wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:48 pm
Is anybody else getting weird notifications?
I have had two notifications, and EMAILS, advising of two different "Replys" (not "Quoted by").

One of the replies was a normal "quoted" response to one of my posts.
The other referred to posts between two totally different people.

I don't think i have ever received notifications about "Replies" before - and certainly never emails.
I've sent PM and Report this Post queries to mods but they are not clearing my outbox, not yet anyway.
?????

(or maybe i just blew a fuse somewhere by over-posting today. :color )
Sounds like you may have subscribed to a thread.
Go to your User Control Panel, click on the Overview tab, then check Manage Subscriptions.

You say you sent PM to mods (plural). Which mods? Twasn't me.
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post