Blind and traveling USA to Cambodia in two days!

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Blind and traveling USA to Cambodia in two days!

Post by IraHayes »

Sounds like a happy ever after for some lucky bar girl.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

I didn't see your post that you arrived..... please keep us posted.

You sir, are a role model and a brave son of a gun. I believe it will be hectic for you to adjust but you will prevail. as all the others have said hopefully, your girl is a good one. if so, she will take care of you and your interests. mine has never asked for a single thing in a year and a half. her family has only watched out for me. Don't let some of the negative posters taint your ideas. although, bad shit does happen, use your intuition.

Keep us posted. If you end up seriously stuck, post here for help.

As far as your dog is concerned, I'm sure you already know; Phnom Penh will be one heck of a high-stress environment for it. I cannot think of a more chaotic scenario to test a seeing-eye dog than the streets of PP.
explorer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:22 am If you buy an ice cream, buy one for all of the family.
.... to share? buy one cone for the whole family to share? REALLY? (rhetorical question)
Still hunting for opium paraphernalia.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Burkina Faso

Post by John Bingham »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:59 pm Sounds like a happy ever after for some lucky bar girl.
It does sound a bit sketchy, Secrets is a hostess bar and Lux Hotel is a monger's place on 136.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Danny K and Secrets are hostess bars
good luck

monstra mihi bona!
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:00 pm Danny K and Secrets are hostess bars
good luck
Danny K is a shithole hostess bar on 172, I would be very careful with her sir. Your money is as safe in Raffles as it would be a bank, I would stay where you are. Raffles staff will look after you and if they aren't being polite too your lady or are "being rude "i suspect it is because they have your best interests at heart and may be wary of this ladies intentions. Hopefully she is as good as you want but I really would be careful of the places she is taking you, these are very low end bars in not so nice neighborhoods, Malis aside. I also wonder why you need the bank so often. I presume you paid for raffles by card, Malis would be $25 a head i would suspect. Drinks at the bars she is taking you to are mak $2 a beer (maybe even $1.5) and $3.5-$4 for a short and mixer, $5 for a cocktail maybe. A tuk tuk for the day would be max $20 (you can get a private a/c car via grab for 8 hours for the same).

I just hope they are not taking advantage of your kind heart sir and I am sure she is wonderful, but the places she chooses to frequent ring alarm bells for me. Stay safe. I'm out of town at present for a few weeks, but I wonder if someone could meet you for a beer to check out the situation?
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

I just wrote a long reply about how you're probably getting fucked (pun intended) by this bargirl and how you need to call your bank and make sure no one can use the card until you get it back. I've deleted it because you seem to be a smart guy and I don't want to shit on your judgement of the situation. Good luck and stay as safe as you can.
mouytiet
Expatriate
COOK_ISLANDS

Post by mouytiet »

there is only one reason she would take you to these girlie bars, she used to work there, she scores points and gains face by taking you there to spend money, sorry but a nice khmer girl doesn't take you to girlie bars or be in a hurry to sleep with you, its actually a very conservative culture like that, there is very good reason that hotels insist on id cards and it is for your protection, tell her to get a new card its not hard (unless there is a issue with her), the 'cousin' rings serious alarm bells, if the bank cant trace yr card, cancel immeadiatly and check yr balance, this guy could have yr card and pin number (I would be checking yr balance daily anyway), your money would be as safe in Raffles as anywhere, yes these safes are easy to access either with a reset code or just a hard smack on the top in the right place,the Lux is the just the biggest knocking shop hotel in PP and you will be right in the heart of darkness, stay where you are if your happy, wish you all the best I admire you and really hope you've found a good one but be highly carefull, this is Cambodia.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

It's certainly one of the more fascinating threads on CEO with all the elements of a good nail-biting thriller.

I'm hooked!
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Something fishy about the whole thread
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

It's nice to know that you enjoy your first days :)
I would recommend you to stay at Raffle if you can afford it. I am sure the staff is very well qualified to take care of you. If you feel safe there, keep it.
Can you tell us the exact name of the hotel your girlfriend want to bring you please? I can not find Luck Hotel in Phnom Penh near riverside on google.
Please check your bank account online if you can.
Take care!
Last edited by Kinetic on Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic