Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.

How often do you binge drink, on average? Be honest.

I DON'T DRINK
1
3%
I DRINK, BUT I DON'T BINGE DRINK
6
21%
MAYBE A FEW TIMES A YEAR
1
3%
ONCE A MONTH
4
14%
ONCE A WEEK
4
14%
TWICE A WEEK
3
10%
3-4 TIMES A WEEK
6
21%
5-6 TIMES A WEEK
1
3%
DAILY
3
10%
 
Total votes: 29
104
Expatriate
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 1:38 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

Post by 104 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Sorry didn't think about that guess it makes it alright then ! :facepalm: :beer3:
User avatar
dagenham
Expatriate
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 pm
Reputation: 2
Great Britain

Re: Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

Post by dagenham » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:07 am

OrangeDragon wrote:
dagenham wrote:
Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:I have followed you before with one eye open. I think we hit max speeds of about 15km/h. Don't worry Dagenham, we wore helmets.
Well, I actually don't care a whit if you personally die - it's the family of 4 you plow into that pays - Ha! Maybe better for you lot to not wear helmets after all.

Every drunk in the history of the Planet Earth thinks they are wonderful drivers after 10-15 drinks. Naturally. Of course. That's why they drive drunk.

And numerous studies have proved that no amount of alcohol can ever impair someone's judgement.

It's pure myth - drunk driving has never ever caused any problems, accidents, injuries, misery or death. Bullshit on all that shit! Bottoms up! Cheers!
You know there aren't many (any?) families of 4 out at 3am on motos in phnom penh right?
Touche, Proud Binge Drinker! Now there is a defensive drunk driver speaking - ha! While there just might be (few, if any) families of 4 out at 3 am., it is (apparently) OK in the hardcore "real man" drinker's milieu to wipe out just 1 or 2 regular people. As they deserve such a fate by dare driving at that hour (obviously).

Driving drunk is a crime (waiting to happen) against other people. It is selfish, senseless and idiotic. Period. Double Period.

Offenders should be tarred and feathered and then castrated and then chained to a urinal for a fortnight. But since they are probably dedicated enthusiastic alcoholics (hence having the lack of judgement not to drive drunk) it will have little to no effect. So they should simply be executed, before they kill some hapless innocent soul driving at 3 am.

Or maybe Stroppy could get creative and start a new NGO - "Bingeing for Christ". Hmmm...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Posts: 4266
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 1:06 pm
Reputation: 465
Korea North

Re: Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

Post by kiwiincambodia » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:51 am

Image
Check out my website for all things Kiwi in Cambodia at https://tiny.cc/j410iy
User avatar
dagenham
Expatriate
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 pm
Reputation: 2
Great Britain

Re: Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

Post by dagenham » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:36 pm

kiwiincambodia wrote:Image
Aw shucks, how cute...tell that to a mother who has lost her 2 children to a drunk driver...or I guess it would've been cool if he was sober?

Like I said earlier - it's a myth that alcohol has any adverse effects on the body whatsoever...not one iota of proof anywhere to be found...

and BTW, shouting with bold caps is a sign of weakness...not "real men"....
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
User avatar
dagenham
Expatriate
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 pm
Reputation: 2
Great Britain

Re: Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

Post by dagenham » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:37 pm

dagenham wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:Image
Aw shucks, how cute...tell that to a mother who has lost her 2 children to a drunk driver...or I guess it would've been cool if he was sober?

Like I said earlier - it's a myth that alcohol has any adverse effects on the body whatsoever...not one iota of proof anywhere to be found...

and BTW, shouting with bold caps is a sign of weakness...not "real men"....Ha!
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

Post by OrangeDragon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:02 pm

dagenham wrote: Touche, Proud Binge Drinker! Now there is a defensive drunk driver speaking - ha! While there just might be (few, if any) families of 4 out at 3 am., it is (apparently) OK in the hardcore "real man" drinker's milieu to wipe out just 1 or 2 regular people. As they deserve such a fate by dare driving at that hour (obviously).

Driving drunk is a crime (waiting to happen) against other people. It is selfish, senseless and idiotic. Period. Double Period.

Offenders should be tarred and feathered and then castrated and then chained to a urinal for a fortnight. But since they are probably dedicated enthusiastic alcoholics (hence having the lack of judgement not to drive drunk) it will have little to no effect. So they should simply be executed, before they kill some hapless innocent soul driving at 3 am.

Or maybe Stroppy could get creative and start a new NGO - "Bingeing for Christ". Hmmm...
Well reverend dagenham, because you ARE preaching right now instead of discussing, I only pointed out a flaw in your argument. The same flaw that has you using western traffic statistics to talk about actions here. What about drunk walkers? Considering the lack of sidewalks and the local expectation that everyone else will do the "watching out", isn't someone with poor judgement walking in the street likely to step in front of a moto and kill that same family of 4? Shouldn't you be going for full prohibition?

And what about texting drivers? Which do you think impairs reaction time more? 3 beers or sending an SMS? Note: I mean 3 beers on an average person... because everyone has different tolerance levels and while some may get completely smashed at 3 beers others may not even have a buz. Of course all of your statistics will disregard that because they use BAC as a measure...
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 am
Reputation: 6

Re: Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:17 pm

I am sure that family of 4 driving down Monivong at 4 am as I drive home on the side of the road at 15KM/H is going to be totally dismembered and wiped out if we get into a head on. Jesus, at those high of speeds, plus a headlight on, I don't even know how they would avoid me.

Dagenham, what routes do you take home most friday or Saturday evenings? I would love to zig and zag in front of you whilst flipping you the bird and speeding off. All the while finishing off my "1 for the road" Anchor bottle before tossing it up in the air with careless disregard to those around me. :D :beer:
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
User avatar
dagenham
Expatriate
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 pm
Reputation: 2
Great Britain

Re: Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

Post by dagenham » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:20 pm

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:I am sure that family of 4 driving down Monivong at 4 am as I drive home on the side of the road at 15KM/H is going to be totally dismembered and wiped out if we get into a head on. Jesus, at those high of speeds, plus a headlight on, I don't even know how they would avoid me.

Dagenham, what routes do you take home most friday or Saturday evenings? I would love to zig and zag in front of you whilst flipping you the bird and speeding off. All the while finishing off my "1 for the road" Anchor bottle before tossing it up in the air with careless disregard to those around me. :D :beer:
Impressive swagger there. What a man! Wow.
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

Post by OrangeDragon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:33 pm

You have this idea that people are trying to project manliness just stuck in your craw don't you? Stuck so hard that you feel the need to project it on to everyone/everything. I know a lot of straight people who do that with homosexuality... we call them homophobic.
User avatar
dagenham
Expatriate
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 pm
Reputation: 2
Great Britain

Re: Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

Post by dagenham » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:33 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:
dagenham wrote: Touche, Proud Binge Drinker! Now there is a defensive drunk driver speaking - ha! While there just might be (few, if any) families of 4 out at 3 am., it is (apparently) OK in the hardcore "real man" drinker's milieu to wipe out just 1 or 2 regular people. As they deserve such a fate by dare driving at that hour (obviously).

Driving drunk is a crime (waiting to happen) against other people. It is selfish, senseless and idiotic. Period. Double Period.

Offenders should be tarred and feathered and then castrated and then chained to a urinal for a fortnight. But since they are probably dedicated enthusiastic alcoholics (hence having the lack of judgement not to drive drunk) it will have little to no effect. So they should simply be executed, before they kill some hapless innocent soul driving at 3 am.

Or maybe Stroppy could get creative and start a new NGO - "Bingeing for Christ". Hmmm...
Well reverend dagenham, because you ARE preaching right now instead of discussing, I only pointed out a flaw in your argument. The same flaw that has you using western traffic statistics to talk about actions here. What about drunk walkers? Considering the lack of sidewalks and the local expectation that everyone else will do the "watching out", isn't someone with poor judgement walking in the street likely to step in front of a moto and kill that same family of 4? Shouldn't you be going for full prohibition?

And what about texting drivers? Which do you think impairs reaction time more? 3 beers or sending an SMS? Note: I mean 3 beers on an average person... because everyone has different tolerance levels and while some may get completely smashed at 3 beers others may not even have a buz. Of course all of your statistics will disregard that because they use BAC as a measure...
You surprise me, OD. Really. A classic nonsensical drunk's defense. Am I preaching here? You bet! Against drunk driving, not drinking to get drunk. There is a major difference. Hello?

You pick obvious red herrings like walking and texting (yes, they do cause accidents of course) to deflect the real issue here - drinking copious amounts of alcohol impairs motor functions and general judgement. Fact. From any angle.

Then you pick another classic red herring (really now?) which is that differing amounts of booze effect people differently. Weak. OK, that's obvious as well. 10-15 drinks in a 2-3 hour period will impair any human being on earth to a measurable degree. Can we take that as a given? Or no? Will you counter that there are 3 Finns who can drink 45 drinks in an hour and drive f-1 cars perfectly? OK.

Alcohol is your religion. It's exactly like talking to Stroppy about Christianity. You both fall back on your "faith". Brother, I don't care if you drink 2 bottles of vodka a day. The issue here is driving whilst drunk. And you seemingly will defend this practice to your death with suspect arguments...because it is intrinsically tied with getting drunk when not at home. Hence = defense of driving home drunk.
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndyKK, Bluenose, cautious colin, Chad Sexington, clutchcargo, daeum_tnaot, Dr. Ifter, Ghostwriter, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], obscureloginname, Ong Tay, Province, SEAdude, whatwat, xandreu and 373 guests