American English Teacher William Glenn Murdered in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: American English Teacher William Glenn Murdered in Cambo

Post by General Mackevili »

Some articles say he's 43, some say he's 44. Without his exact birth date, I'm not certain which one is correct.

And I'm not sure if this is him, but there is a William Glenn, age 44, white male, that has spent time in a U.S. federal prison and has been released.

The plot thickens, day by day.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

If his birthday is right around now, that would explain the age discrepancies from article to article.

Maybe he was 43 when pronounced dead, and has since had a birthday, and databases that aren't updated with his death acknowledge his post-death birthday, just as some articles.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Hmmmm.....

Seems he might have been lying about being a certified teacher with years experience in Mississippi, according to this article...WTF

A teacher and native Mississippian was found strangled to death and wrapped in a curtain in Cambodia last week, officials said.

Various international media report that William Bryan Glenn, 43, was found by a child in a garbage dump on Wednesday after leaving his home Tuesday on a motorcycle. He was allegedly wrapped in a yellow curtain held together with duct tape.

Villagers reported seeing a motorcycle taxi drive down the dirt road at 3 a.m. on Wednesday morning and then stop at the dumpsite just hours before the body was found.

Cambodian police and American officials are looking for clues as to who might have killed him.

Reportedly he was identified from a wallet containing credit cards and a copy of a page of his passport in the pocket of his pants.

The Cambodia Daily reported that Cambodian police said Glenn was wanted as a "criminal" in the United States, but did not specify for what.

U.S. Embassy spokesman John Simmons told them that the U.S. Embassy was not involved in the investigation.

One witness who allegedly saw the body before police arrived told the Chiangrai Times that Glenn's wrists and ankles looked as though they were tied with shoe laces.

A video on Chiangrai Times' website translated two witnesses' statements with subtitles.

"I got up at 5:30 a.m. and the kids saw it when they disposed of the trash, then they ran away. They wrapped him with curtains byt you could still see his feet. They were tied with 10kg rice sacks. We couldn't see his head because it was limp and had dropped down," a woman explained.

A man demonstrated how the body looked when he says he saw it.

"I think the body had been beaten here. After he was beaten, they tied him up with shoelaces. Bound together just like this (demonstrating). I checked it and then I saw everything. His body was badly bruised on his stomach and back," he said.

A Lexis search shows that Glenn had lived in Columbus and Lowndes County for several years. He also lived in Aliceville, Ala., at one time.

Glenn had been in Phnom Penh for about two months, and before that he was in Thailand.

A post by Glenn on Expat-blog.com said, "I've taught English at every level from Kindergarten to grade 12 and Mathematics and Science in all primary grades. I'm currently living in Phnom Penn and I'm looking for a teaching position, starting as soon as possible. I have a degree in Education and I've spent the last 10 years teaching in Thailand. I'm a very compassionate, fun teacher that loves to watch his students learn and reach their full potential."

Another post in which Glenn posts as "Bryan Glenn," says he is a graduate of the University of Mississippi, and then taught in Mississippi for six years.

The Mississippi Department of Education does not have record of a William Glenn, a Bryan Glenn, or a Will Glen. The Lowndes County School District also does not have anyone in their records with the last name Glenn. The Columbus Municipal School district was not able to access their records at this point.

"I got bored of the low pay and the boredom in Mississippi, so I decided to take a chance and took a job at a Catholic school in Cancun, Mexico for a year, thinking it would be a great place to teach and spend my free time on the beach. That thought was completely incorrect!" he writes.

Glenn's estranged wife, Nittaya Glenn, told Cambodia Daily that her husband had told her just days before his death that he thought people were trying to kill him. She told them he was afraid and wanted to leave.

A receptionist at a guesthouse where Glenn had stayed told Cambodia Daily that Glenn was "always alone and often drunk, though he was no trouble and only complained about the Internet."

So far the US State Department has not commented on Glenn's death.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news ... /12623639/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

I wonder if we will ever know the truth about what happened....
What is 'A Lexis search'?
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

I wonder how, in just 2 months, you get from "newly arrived" to "thinking people were trying to kill him" and then actually being killed.

There is so much more to this...
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

This is troubling, what kind of trouble could he have gotten into in just 2 months. Granted if he was drunk everyday he could have made enemies real quickly.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Enemies and enemies prepared to kill are apples and oranges...
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

true, but here it seems for apples to turn into oranges doesn't take much provocation.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

would be interesting to know, how many of the "teachers" do actually have (earned) the degrees they show...
BlueMoon
Tourist

Post by BlueMoon »

Definitely something up here; I'm curious about the wife, she says he was worried about being killed? People in Cambodia wanting something from him. Now it is being reported that the wife said he went to get passport pages and they (US Embassy) kept his passport? But US Embassy denies involvement in any investigation about criminal activity? Wife says she could not reach him by phone so she does internet search? Oh, and someone with same name as wife signs up with CEO forum, which, coincidentally, is following the story closely? It would be a convenient way to see what people are saying about it, WHO THEY Are suspecting. Just saying.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic