to all teachers out there

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Yemen

Re: to all teachers out there

Post by John Bingham » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Ravensnest wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:01 pm
newkidontheblock wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:39 am
I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but maybe the idea of being evaluated might make a teacher teach.
The last session was a review for the upcoming exam. Even the students selected to review past lessons got them wrong, and the class is still dazed and confused. Teacher didn’t waste any breath to make sure the class got it right and instead rushed into playing charades. The word? Bek sloy dancing.
what on earth are you talking about and how does your post relate to the op? I'm curious if you're hanging with pieman
It's reported speech. Typically a student who is unmotivated and skipping classes or getting bad grades will blame it on the tutor. While it is certainly possible that they might have a terrible teacher, we have been hearing these second-hand complaints for many years now and I suspect it is more likely just a diversionary tactic from the real issue.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:17 pm

John Bingham wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:22 pm
Ravensnest wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:01 pm
newkidontheblock wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:39 am
The last session was a review for the upcoming exam. Even the students selected to review past lessons got them wrong, and the class is still dazed and confused. Teacher didn’t waste any breath to make sure the class got it right and instead rushed into playing charades. The word? Bek sloy dancing.
what on earth are you talking about and how does your post relate to the op? I'm curious if you're hanging with pieman
It's reported speech. Typically a student who is unmotivated and skipping classes or getting bad grades will blame it on the tutor. While it is certainly possible that they might have a terrible teacher, we have been hearing these second-hand complaints for many years now and I suspect it is more likely just a diversionary tactic from the real issue.
I appreciate your attempt, but your explanation still doesn't clarify his post, to me anyhow. Was nkob in the OP's class?
Still hunting for opium paraphernalia.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Yemen

Post by John Bingham » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:33 pm

He's talking about his wife's lessons. Think of it as someone living in Cambodia by proxy.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:49 am

I recall Principals sitting in the back during classes in the USA. I don't see any reason to be freaked out about it.
Years ago, I was the lead cook at a fabulous restaurant in L.A. county. I was stunned when a corporate big shot put a bar chair near my station and watched me throughout my shift, critiquing me as I put dishes in the window....a bit more browning under the broiler on a French Onion soup still haunts me. I was able to move up to Sous Chef in a few months.
So, I would not sweat the extra set of eyes watching you teach.
Just do your work the best you can.
I became a teacher because I became an Executive Chef. I did not enjoy teaching staff members who were only there for a paycheck.
I can only imagine the stress of teaching students.
Best of luck.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:58 am

Admin sneaking around to observe teachers .... no.

It reminds me of the guy who hid in a tree to get evidence his wife was cheating, fell out and made a total idiot of himself because there is no need to hide.

Why not ask the students directly how the class is going and feed that back to the teacher for improvements. Or just walk in periodically and look at the students: are they engaged? are they working and on task? Are they sleeping or goofing around?

There are many ways to evalauate teacher performance but hiding and sneaking a look in, no ... that's not one of them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic