White girls speak khmer

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: White girls speak khmer

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:03 am sorry Mate, ur wrong, what the fuck does compatible have to do with anything???

The only way to learn a foreign language, ( the way the US state dept teaches all their officials, the peace corps and the language school in Monterrey,Ca) is your teacher cannot explain anything in the language you understand.
otherwise you will Always be translating back and forth from ur language to the one ur trying to learn.
it will take twice as long...

If ur teacher says "Vous tous, fermez-la et asseyez-vous"

he/she does not translate it so u understand, he/ she ACTS it out so you will always combine the act with the words and not
translate the above to
"All of you, just shut up and sit down"

When i learned french in Africa we were not allowed to speak English anywhere on campus and our teachers did not speak a word of english
hahaha alright mate, because French and Khmer are even remotely similar languages :unknown:

you might get past the basics doing that, but actually understanding Khmer and which words to use depending on context, and grammar, its gonna take a while to pick up any fluency, why try and learn a language the caveman way when you can have someone explain it properly to give you a greater understanding and learn far quicker, but you are right, of coarse...

i will agree with one thing though "otherwise you will Always be translating back and forth from ur language to the one ur trying to learn. it will take twice as long..." this bit is correct, as i said Khmer and English are not compatible, and you need someone who understands english to help give the true meaning, otherwise you will think that one word just means that one thing, when in fact, it can mean many things depending on context
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

this is how the US state dept teaches for all its people at the Monterrey language school.
every language. not just french or Spanish or Russian or.....

PS:i learned Swahili the same way

You learn by listening and it sinks in...
when you can have someone explain it properly
exactly... u learning it<( having it explained to you ) in english an than translating
so always rather than just replying in a conversation to what someone says, ur needing to translate in ur head from the word to english an than u can reply
time consuming and u will never become fluent that way
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

phuketrichard wrote:this is how the US state dept teaches for all its people at the Monterrey language school.

exactly... u learning it<( having it explained to you ) in english an than translating
so always rather than just replying in a conversation to what someone says, ur needing to translate in ur head from the word to english an than u can reply
It's called immersion apparently.
Cambridge seem very pro not speaking at all as a teacher and "eliciting".

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Wanker Wat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Wanker Wat »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:47 am
Good luck to her on residency. She’ll be a great pediatrician.
Why do you think she'll be a great pediatrician?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:59 am this is how the US state dept teaches for all its people at the Monterrey language school.

what way works for some people, doesnt always work for others mate, its just your usual "the ONLY way to learn a foreign language" quote that i disagree with, because clearly its not, "preferred" might have been a better word to use

Khmer isnt an easy language to learn, due to the fact theres not much learning material out there, and the only way people learn, is often by the methods you have stated, but their knowledge of the language isnt always the best, just my opinion the same as you have yours, just talking from experience with the Khmer language

im learning Thai now and planning on going to school here at some point this year, maybe September, should find it much easier as ive got Khmer to compare it with, surprising how similar the language is in parts tbh
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

You can learn Khmer with someone who doesn't speak English.
Most khmer people learn English from foreigners that don't speak Khmer.
explorer wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:27 pm
TheWarrior wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:12 pm Learn Khmer with the barang girls or solo???
When you learn Khmer you need a person or people who speak Khmer and English to teach you. All of the people who taught me where Khmer.

The primary benefit is that you can communicate with Cambodian people.

Sometimes you meet barang girls who want to learn Khmer, and you can teach them. Sometimes you meet barang girls who are glad to have someone to translate when traveling in Cambodia. Sometimes barang girls are just happy to meet new friends.
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Hmm we live in Cambodia. Why isn't this the norm rather than the exception?
Kinetic wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:47 pm
This one is old but it's always nice to see. She's so adorable. So cute when she laugh ❤️

A more recent one. She's learning but has already good basics.

I'm in love with these 2 girls ❤️❤️❤️
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Khmer isn't an easy language to learn,
Khmer is toneless, right? vs thai, which has 5 tones
Best of luck learning>

I find many khmer words are the same as thai, BUT they dont always mean the same
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:38 pm
Khmer isn't an easy language to learn,
Khmer is toneless, right? vs thai, which has 5 tones
Best of luck learning>

I find many khmer words are the same as thai, BUT they dont always mean the same
:thumb:
i could reel off a load of words that are the same, or pronounced slightly different, usually due to pronouncing vowels slightly differently, its easy and confusing all at the same time, as yeah they also have words that mean something different in Khmer, once im able to read, learning will be far easier
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:38 pm
These are called false friends.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic