The global AIDS pandemic and UN intervention in Cambodia collided in 1992

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

History
The 1992 UN Mission To Cambodia
James Wharton
30th April 2021 at 5:45pm

WARNING: This article contains graphic images and descriptions of genocide and human suffering.

In 1992, the United Nations deployed what was at the time the largest and most multinational peacekeeping force in its history to war-ravaged Cambodia. More than 21,000 UN personnel from 46 countries around the world arrived in the Southeast Asian nation.

The outcome of the UN intervention was stabilising what had been decades of war in the country, the implementation of a democratically elected government, and the repatriation of more than 350,000 refugees.

However, in the years following the mission, influential individuals involved in the running of Cambodia placed criticism on the United Nations for wider consequences faced by Cambodians following the UN's withdrawal in 1993.

One such prominent accusation came from the King of Cambodia, King Norodom Sihanouk. He accused the UN Peacekeepers of introducing HIV to the country and its people.

His criticism joined that of US Government-funded think tank The East-West Centre, who in a report about the UN mission was frank on the subject of HIV. Their report, titled UN Peacekeeping Missions: The Lessons From Cambodia, stated:

"[UN] personnel helped introduce the disease into Cambodia and are also taking the HIV virus back to their home nations."

By 1995, two years after the end of the UN operation, Cambodia was one of the most impacted counties in the region of HIV / AIDS, which was minimally present before the UN's mission.

Here, BFBS explores the historical backdrop to the UN's 1992 intervention in Cambodia and investigates whether the criticism faced by the UN on the topic of the AIDS pandemic is fair.
Full article here: https://www.forces.net/heritage/history ... n-cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The global AIDS pandemic and UN intervention in Cambodia collided in 1992

Post by John Bingham »

This is an often repeated narrative. As far as I can remember the Ghanaian troops were responsible for security around Phnom Penh. Yet the particular strain that became prevalent was not the one found in West Africa. Brothel areas were very common in Cambodia in the 90s, and no doubt expanded a lot with the huge number of UN troops/ civilian contingent with their large per diems during UNTAC. However they weren't created just for UNTAC. I remember over 20 years ago hearing that the notorious K11/ Svay Pak brothel village, which like many brothel areas was mostly young Vietnamese girls/ women had been around since the PRK times of the 1980s, and it was an R&R place for PAVN troops. There were a surprising amount of areas like that at the time, St 63 just south of Central Market, Street 70 just past the French Embassy, there were loads. Photos from the time seem to support this. And there were very few foreigners in these areas, especially at night.
Various officials have suggested that the UN brought prostitution to Cambodia. Yet reading the guides for US foreign diplomatic corps in the 1950s describes how "Taxi Dancers" were to be found at many popular night spots.
I'm certain that prostitution expanded a lot with the huge influx of foreign aid workers and UN staff and ready money in the early 90s, but as before and after, the majority of customers were local.
The most interesting thing about that report is the statistics on the prevalence of HIV in Thailand at the time, and something like 300,000 were repatriated from the Thai camps in that period. We can thank organizations like PSE for the better education and huge drop in infection rates since then.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

I believe I read that in 2019 there were around 1800 deaths from hiv/aids in Cambodia. Way down from the numbers even a decade ago.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Are the people generally well educated on the use of protection, and are they willing to use it? I would imagine so due to the drop in infection numbers, but where I'm at now in the states, I feel that people are using protection less than a decade ago since the fear of HIV is declining due to expanded treatment options.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Many can't read or write. It's almost like those billions in aid was diverted somewhere else. In general the answer is that many are not well educated in any subject. Apart from maybe fish farming and theft
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ You're just guessing. PSI was very active in addressing the problem in the 90's and beyond.
All working girls were educated about HIV and how to protect themselves. PSI would hand out condoms by the box, not just one or two individual rubbers.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:51 am Many can't read or write. It's almost like those billions in aid was diverted somewhere else. In general the answer is that many are not well educated in any subject. Apart from maybe fish farming and theft
What billions in aid? Are you talking about UNTAC? Do you have any idea how much it costs to carry out a mission like that? They imported about 3000 Landcruisers for a start. UN staff got something like $150 a day just for spending money, on top of their salaries. Typical bar stool blathering. You obviously didn't read or get the article (Many can't read or write...the irony!) because the AIDS program in Cambodia was one of the most successful ones in the world. 8)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:50 am Various officials have suggested that the UN brought prostitution to Cambodia. Yet reading the guides for US foreign diplomatic corps in the 1950s describes how "Taxi Dancers" were to be found at many popular night spots.
I'm certain that prostitution expanded a lot with the huge influx of foreign aid workers and UN staff and ready money in the early 90s, but as before and after, the majority of customers were local.
To add to that, there are various interesting first-hand accounts from the French of the rampant prostitution along the port area in early reports of the Water Festival. From what I've read, going to the prostitutes right after the boat races was until fairly recently still an unofficial tradition for the racers and a sort of bonding experience. It's perhaps not so surprising that these still exist, albeit I'm guessing the port wasn't as far north as it currently is). Later on, the French would usually put up with, but at various times attempted to to stamp out brothels in multiple areas (often with Vietnamese girls).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:33 pm To add to that, there are various interesting first-hand accounts from the French of the rampant prostitution along the port area in early reports of the Water Festival (it's perhaps not so surprising that these still exist, albeit I'm guessing the port wasn't as far north as it currently is).
The port extended all the way down to Street 154 until the mid 90s. The current port is a few km south in Kandal province on the Mekong, I'm not sure the older one near the Japanese Bridge is used much anymore, they are building some huge Chinese condo project there now.

:(
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

John Bingham wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:26 pm
fsdfdsdf wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:51 am Many can't read or write. It's almost like those billions in aid was diverted somewhere else. In general the answer is that many are not well educated in any subject. Apart from maybe fish farming and theft
What billions in aid? Are you talking about UNTAC? Do you have any idea how much it costs to carry out a mission like that? They imported about 3000 Landcruisers for a start. UN staff got something like $150 a day just for spending money, on top of their salaries. Typical bar stool blathering. You obviously didn't read or get the article (Many can't read or write...the irony!) because the AIDS program in Cambodia was one of the most successful ones in the world. 8)
Maybe but most of the girls I meet are indifferent to condoms, some even refuse. but I guess that could just be the effect I have on them
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic