Marching Towards National Salvation From Pol Pot Genocidal Regime 07 Jan 1979

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

This video was reposted from the Cambodian PM's FB page.
I haven't watched it all yet, but am posting it now in case someone's interested.

chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Re: Marching Towards National Salvation From Pol Pot Genocidal Regime 07 Jan 1979

Post by chorlton »

"Unavailable
This video can't be embedded.
Watch on Facebook · Learn More"

do you need to be on facebook to watch ?

youtube-

"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Marching Towards National Salvation From Pol Pot Genocidal Regime 07 Jan 1979

Post by Anchor Moy »

Haha. Sorry for the double post. I was bookmarking it for later and thought I'd share. :idea:
Has anyone has actually watched it ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I watched part of it, seemed interesting enough. Many of the people criticizing it are doing so for political reasons and wouldn't have any idea how accurate it is as they know next to nothing about the backstory.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

I’ve watched about the first 30 minutes. I’ll try and get through the rest tomorrow. I’m interested to see if the Chinese support for the Pol Pot regime is mentioned at all. I suspect it won’t be. Most documentaries about the Pol Pot regime seem to contain the obligatory footage of a smiley Pol Pot meeting some decrepit, androgynous looking Chinese communist leader.

I noticed that in about the opening minute, there is an image from the cover of a Newsweek magazine from 1978. It’s a photo of a Khmer Rouge soldier executing a prisoner with an axe or hoe. It’s been established that this photo, and others in the series, are fakes. The photos first appeared in a right-wing Thai newspaper a couple of days before a Thai election in 1976. The Bangkok Post refused to run the photos because they knew they were fake. After they published an article denouncing the photos as fake, a Thai intelligence officer admitted that he had staged the photos in Thailand. It didn’t stop Time, Newsweek, and many western media outlets using the photos. And the producers of this film are either ignorant or don’t think attention to detail is important.
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

prahocalypse now wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:27 pm I’m interested to see if the Chinese support for the Pol Pot regime is mentioned at all. I suspect it won’t be.
You're suspicion is spot on.

America baaaaaad
China goooood
tears flow so vote for HE :roll:
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

its was good propaganda piece, makes he into the savior he thinks he is and makes the Vietnamese into "top blokes"
What would Cambodia be, if he had not gone and asked the Vietnamese to assist him??
Khmer gf hated it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I’m interested to see if the Chinese support for the Pol Pot regime is mentioned at all
and kissinger, don't forget his critical support
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Just watched it and enjoyed it very much.

Note: I invited my 14 yo son to watch as well. As soon as it started he knew what it was about and said, "my teacher said that if we watch this we shouldn't have the volume too high". (teacher being Khmer teacher at Khmer school)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic