How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2520
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 527
New Zealand

Re: How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Sun May 01, 2016 2:36 am

My mizzuzes family barely acknowledge cny, but KNY is a huge deal. Honestly, I am not a fan of CNY because all my neighbours are Sino Khmer and have massive fires burning outside their houses and I cop hot embers and ashes all over my place...what really pissed me off one year was one of my good shirts got burnt by the embers from some prick burning fake money! Grrrr!

No disrepect to anyone celebrating CNY...I just wish they'd show a little more respect for their neighbors.
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Reputation: 185
Location: The Kremlin
Russia

Re: How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Post by vladimir » Sun May 01, 2016 7:09 am

Anchor Moy wrote:This is how we celebrated Chinese NY with some friends and their family. It started with some incense and prayers to ancestors, then loads of stuff was burnt for good luck, there was a lot of Angkor drunk, then we ate most of the pig and masses of other food, then we drank more beer... :beer3:
Image
AM, hope you made sure David Cameron hadn't been near that piggy.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Reputation: 185
Location: The Kremlin
Russia

Re: How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Post by vladimir » Sun May 01, 2016 7:16 am

Samouth, what percentage of Khmers do you think are Chinese-Khmer? My own personal impression is it's way over 50%. I know that up until a few years ago, according to a CD or PPP article (the former, iirc) Phnom Penh had the biggest Chinese language school enrollment outside of China.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Samouth
Expatriate
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 10
Location: Phnom Penh
Burundi

Re: How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Post by Samouth » Tue May 03, 2016 1:49 am

PSD-Kiwi wrote:My mizzuzes family barely acknowledge cny, but KNY is a huge deal. Honestly, I am not a fan of CNY because all my neighbours are Sino Khmer and have massive fires burning outside their houses and I cop hot embers and ashes all over my place...what really pissed me off one year was one of my good shirts got burnt by the embers from some prick burning fake money! Grrrr!

No disrepect to anyone celebrating CNY...I just wish they'd show a little more respect for their neighbors.
Isn't that sound really harsh for you to say that? You really shouldn't have no respect for any Chinese-Cambodian celebrating Chinese New Year because one of your neighbor accidentally and unintentionally burned your shirt with the embers from them burning the fake money. Every Chinese-Cambodia should not hold accountable for one Chinese-Cambodian's mistake. I feel sorry for you on that, but i don't support you to have no respect for Chinese-Cambodian.

I really don't think Jewish people hate every German because of the Hitler's genocide. If this is not enough, please look at Vietnamese people. Do you think all Vietnamese hate America because of Vietnam War. I guess some of you might even have a Vietnamese wife. Also, do you think that every Cambodian hate American, because America heavily bombarded our country during Vietnam War?
Last edited by Samouth on Tue May 03, 2016 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 10
Location: Phnom Penh
Burundi

Re: How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Post by Samouth » Tue May 03, 2016 1:50 am

vladimir wrote:Samouth, what percentage of Khmers do you think are Chinese-Khmer? My own personal impression is it's way over 50%. I know that up until a few years ago, according to a CD or PPP article (the former, iirc) Phnom Penh had the biggest Chinese language school enrollment outside of China.
You should read the article that AM posted.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2520
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 527
New Zealand

Re: How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Tue May 03, 2016 6:04 am

Samouth....where did I say that I don't have respect for Chinese-Cambodians? Re-read what I wrote!
Samouth
Expatriate
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 10
Location: Phnom Penh
Burundi

Re: How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Post by Samouth » Tue May 03, 2016 8:11 am

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Samouth....where did I say that I don't have respect for Chinese-Cambodians? Re-read what I wrote!
My bad, i misread it. I honestly didn't see the DIS in the first place.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Reputation: 185
Location: The Kremlin
Russia

Re: How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Post by vladimir » Tue May 03, 2016 12:13 pm

Samouth wrote:
vladimir wrote:Samouth, what percentage of Khmers do you think are Chinese-Khmer? My own personal impression is it's way over 50%. I know that up until a few years ago, according to a CD or PPP article (the former, iirc) Phnom Penh had the biggest Chinese language school enrollment outside of China.
You should read the article that AM posted.
Link?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Samouth
Expatriate
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 10
Location: Phnom Penh
Burundi

Re: How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Post by Samouth » Fri May 06, 2016 11:00 am

vladimir wrote:
Samouth wrote:
vladimir wrote:Samouth, what percentage of Khmers do you think are Chinese-Khmer? My own personal impression is it's way over 50%. I know that up until a few years ago, according to a CD or PPP article (the former, iirc) Phnom Penh had the biggest Chinese language school enrollment outside of China.
You should read the article that AM posted.
Link?
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/24380/ ... onnection/
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
User avatar
bolueeleh
Expatriate
Posts: 4440
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:39 am
Reputation: 796
Location: anywhere with cheap bonks

Re: How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Post by bolueeleh » Fri May 06, 2016 11:39 am

im not in this thread either, why i get notifications? why is the forum elves taunting me?

Image
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobsboots and 51 guests