Gay in Cambodia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 8714
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 949
Tokelau

Re: Gay in Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:19 pm

The clothes are pretty wild, but it's a good use for all that plastic out there. Better than burning it. :evil: Well done, ladies.

Plastic? Fantastic!: Cambodian LGBTQ fashion designers find beauty in trash
“We use everything, but cement sacks and plastic are best,” one of the designers explained.

Nov. 3, 2018 / 4:03 AM GMT+7 / Source: Reuters
By Reuters

PHNOM PENH - From a dress inspired by the plume of a peacock and fashioned out of bottle caps and cement sacks, to a black and orange tiger outfit made of plastic bags, one group of LGBTQ fashion designers in Cambodia crafts beauty from trash to battle discrimination.

Violent attacks on the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community are common in the conservative Southeast Asian nation, even though attitudes toward same-sex relationships have improved in recent years.

“Just five or 10 years ago, Cambodians saw the LGBT community as social trash,” said Ith Sovannareach, founder of La Chhouk Recycled & Creative Fashion. “People saw them as unnatural strangers."

“But now there is less discrimination, as we’ve seen more coverage on television and in newspapers about their capabilities," Sovannareach added.
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out ... sh-n930451
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 9757
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 1400
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Gay in Cambodia

Post by Username Taken » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:36 pm

Trashy

Image
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
willyhilly
Expatriate
Posts: 1309
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:11 am
Reputation: 195
Location: Australia
Albania

Re: Gay in Cambodia

Post by willyhilly » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:27 pm

What is Khmer for a lesbian, not srey srawlaing srey. Is there another word?
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 21296
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 733
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Gay in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Cambodia's government says it has a good record on LGBTI issues
HIV rates are on the rise among LGBTI people
3 January 2019 11:20 GMT
Cambodia’s Human Rights Committee says it has done a lot to help LGBTI people.

The CHRC’s director, Keo Remy, made the comments at a special event on the weekend. The event marked the ten year anniversary of LGBTI organization, Rainbow Community Kampuchea (RoCK).

Remy said Cambodia’s president, HE, has publicly declared his support for the LGBTI community many times. Sen’s priority was to lower the increasing HIV rates amongst LGBTI people in the south east Asian nation.

Cambodia is often considered to be one of the most progressive countries in the region when it comes to LGBTI rights. Even Camobdia’s King Norodom Sihamoni is in favour of same-sex marriage.

Even though the country does not recognize same-sex marriage, many LGBTI couples live openly. Many are even registered as partners in the national ‘family books’.

RoCK has urged the government to do more to recognize LGBTI people legally.

Pisey called for the government to create marriage certificates, family books and national ID cards for LGBTI people according to the gender and sexual identity.
https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/cam ... ti-issues/
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
davegorman
Expatriate
Posts: 836
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 am
Reputation: 156
France

Re: Gay in Cambodia

Post by davegorman » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:36 pm

willyhilly wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:27 pm
What is Khmer for a lesbian, not srey srawlaing srey. Is there another word?
Asked the wife she said that’s correct. Or sbian (lesbian) or the generic kautoi.
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 5385
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 1507
Yemen

Re: Gay in Cambodia

Post by John Bingham » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:49 pm

willyhilly wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:27 pm
What is Khmer for a lesbian, not srey srawlaing srey. Is there another word?
Yes, it translates as "woman after drinking 5 Spys".
User avatar
Wanker Wat
Expatriate
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:27 am
Reputation: 6
Cambodia

Re: Gay in Cambodia

Post by Wanker Wat » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:41 am

I saw a gay massage place on Street 178 yesterday with some muscular dudes sitting out front.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 21296
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 733
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Gay in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Unique LGBTQ hotpot debuts in Phnom Penh
11 January 2019 | 09:50 ICT
Tucked away on the nondescript street 256, behind Preah Kossamak Hospital, on the outskirts of Phnom Penh is a small unsuspecting food outlet.

Its unusual sign – a picture of a woman closely resembling the late English singer and songwriter Amy Winehouse – smiles next to the outlet’s signature dish – ‘LGBTQ Hotpot’.

Owned by actress and model Som Sreyneat, the small outlet located inside a street-side gazebo has enticed people to this lesser trodden section of the capital with its unusual and colourfully named soup made from a family recipe.

She opened the business with her two brothers last month, with the name a celebration of the hotpot’s uniqueness from many other Cambodian hotpots.

“It’s a bit sour and a bit sweet. Its taste is unique, and that is why we wanted to give it a name that stood out,” Sreyneat said.

The hotpot set comes with a plate of free-range duck meat, beef meatballs, egg, shrimp, pig blood and white sesame. In addition, it has a basket of vegetables, including needle mushrooms, Chinese white cabbage, okra, water spinach, thyme, coriander and Khmer basil.

A full LGBTQ hotpot set is 25,000 riel ($6.28) and can feed 2 to 3 people. Because of its affordable price point, many of her customers are students.

The LGBTQ Hotpot is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 3pm until the soup finishes around 8 pm. For more information, contact the outlet on: 093483041 and 098313648.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-life ... phnom-penh
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
cautious colin
Expatriate
Posts: 390
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am
Reputation: 102
Great Britain

Re: Gay in Cambodia

Post by cautious colin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:52 pm

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:05 pm
Unique LGBTQ hotpot debuts in Phnom Penh
11 January 2019 | 09:50 ICT
Tucked away on the nondescript street 256, behind Preah Kossamak Hospital, on the outskirts of Phnom Penh is a small unsuspecting food outlet.

Its unusual sign – a picture of a woman closely resembling the late English singer and songwriter Amy Winehouse – smiles next to the outlet’s signature dish – ‘LGBTQ Hotpot’.

Owned by actress and model Som Sreyneat, the small outlet located inside a street-side gazebo has enticed people to this lesser trodden section of the capital with its unusual and colourfully named soup made from a family recipe.

She opened the business with her two brothers last month, with the name a celebration of the hotpot’s uniqueness from many other Cambodian hotpots.

“It’s a bit sour and a bit sweet. Its taste is unique, and that is why we wanted to give it a name that stood out,” Sreyneat said.

The hotpot set comes with a plate of free-range duck meat, beef meatballs, egg, shrimp, pig blood and white sesame. In addition, it has a basket of vegetables, including needle mushrooms, Chinese white cabbage, okra, water spinach, thyme, coriander and Khmer basil.

A full LGBTQ hotpot set is 25,000 riel ($6.28) and can feed 2 to 3 people. Because of its affordable price point, many of her customers are students.

The LGBTQ Hotpot is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 3pm until the soup finishes around 8 pm. For more information, contact the outlet on: 093483041 and 098313648.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-life ... phnom-penh
Is that the only requirement to get into the news? Maybe I’ll open a restaurant called “ladyboy loklak” & make it extra salty for uniqueness
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 1995
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Reputation: 430
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Gay in Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:54 pm

cautious colin wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:52 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:05 pm
Unique LGBTQ hotpot debuts in Phnom Penh
11 January 2019 | 09:50 ICT
Tucked away on the nondescript street 256, behind Preah Kossamak Hospital, on the outskirts of Phnom Penh is a small unsuspecting food outlet.

Its unusual sign – a picture of a woman closely resembling the late English singer and songwriter Amy Winehouse – smiles next to the outlet’s signature dish – ‘LGBTQ Hotpot’.

Owned by actress and model Som Sreyneat, the small outlet located inside a street-side gazebo has enticed people to this lesser trodden section of the capital with its unusual and colourfully named soup made from a family recipe.

She opened the business with her two brothers last month, with the name a celebration of the hotpot’s uniqueness from many other Cambodian hotpots.

“It’s a bit sour and a bit sweet. Its taste is unique, and that is why we wanted to give it a name that stood out,” Sreyneat said.

The hotpot set comes with a plate of free-range duck meat, beef meatballs, egg, shrimp, pig blood and white sesame. In addition, it has a basket of vegetables, including needle mushrooms, Chinese white cabbage, okra, water spinach, thyme, coriander and Khmer basil.

A full LGBTQ hotpot set is 25,000 riel ($6.28) and can feed 2 to 3 people. Because of its affordable price point, many of her customers are students.

The LGBTQ Hotpot is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 3pm until the soup finishes around 8 pm. For more information, contact the outlet on: 093483041 and 098313648.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-life ... phnom-penh
Is that the only requirement to get into the news? Maybe I’ll open a restaurant called “ladyboy loklak” & make it extra salty for uniqueness
haha really, Why was this news? Let alone "Gay in Cambodia" news?
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests