How bargirls survived during covid

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

How bargirls survived during covid

Post by jah steu »

Anchor Moy wrote:It's been almost two years that girlie-bars, KTVs, and beer gardens have been open/shut for the people working there. I have a lot of respect for the women who are still trying to keep their family going, by whatever (legal) means. It's not easy.

If that means that a Cambodian woman is asking a foreigner to send her money, and the foreigner agrees to do this, then who are we to judge their agreement ? Stuff between adults should remain between adults. IMO.
Yes this is why I was curious as to how the girls had managed to survive and generate income for themselves and their families. I was quite heartened to see that most of the girls did manage to get some decent money from various sources.
One important question I forgot to include in the survey was to ask how much debt they currently have. I get the strong impression from talking to the girls that most of them have been forced to increase the amount of money they have borrowed, to keep things going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How bargirls survived during covid

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Just to add some further perspective too.. I presumed that many girls would have returned to the province when covid came and the bars closed.

Now, I suspect not all of those girls would have necessarily come back to the bar scene since?

OP's survey only included girls currently in his employ so obviously any girls who didn't come back since the bars reopened have not been included.
gargarouf
Tourist
France

Post by gargarouf »

Kind of the survivor bias, there is no data for those who did not came back.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:48 pm occasionally
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Brody wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:04 am
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:48 pm occasionally
Off topic but interesting story about this Aus Member of Parliament dubbed.. 'Member for Manila'

George Christensen 'a regular' at Philippines adult entertainment bar: manager

Nationals MP George Christensen is facing claims from a staff member of an adult entertainment bar in the Philippines that he was a regular at the venue.

The bar manager of the night spot, which identifies itself as an "adult entertainment service", said Mr Christensen did not reveal he was a politician and alleged his "weakness" was women. Marjorie Lamsen, the manager of one bar, Ponytails in Angeles City, claimed the federal politician was a "very regular visitor" at the venue.

Ms Lamsen, who said she had worked at the bar for six years, said: "He was always very good... He was a big spender". "It was well known that he went to other bars in the areas," she told Nine News, The Age and The Herald. "The weakness of George is women. He would usually give allowances to these people. "He would keep his job a secret but now we know he's a politician."

Full: https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 53g57.html
Spoiler:
joelightcloud
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by joelightcloud »

jah steu wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:58 pm I get the strong impression from talking to the girls that most of them have been forced to increase the amount of money they have borrowed, to keep things going.
Nothing new there... It's always been that way as the girls have no concept of saving. A new Scoppy bike or the latest iPhone as soon at they get the funds, its all gone. Live everyday as if it were your last, worry about tomorrow, tomorrow attitude. Not the way we were taught in the west and sometimes I envy that approach to life.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I am pretty sure there is a lot of them who went to the province to live with mom and hardly spended some money for 18 months, and imo they needed that a little bit as a wake up call, they appreciate now maybe a little bit more a DOM with money on the bank, and will take care better then before. I am checking it since yesterday, and as usual the first 48h are going really veryyy "minaraam" !! ??
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

A great many young people work online now, no need to go and hang around a "hostess" bar or KTV when you have decent internet and a Webcam and maybe a lovesense device connected via Bluetooth to your cash app inserted into all available orifices

Technically its illegal but its prevalent and very difficult to prosecute or even apprehend online sex workers
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:54 am A great many young people work online now, no need to go and hang around a "hostess" bar or KTV when you have decent internet and a Webcam and maybe a lovesense device connected via Bluetooth to your cash app inserted into all available orifices

Technically its illegal but its prevalent and very difficult to prosecute or even apprehend online sex workers
I wish I was more techie, I think I am missing out by being so annalog.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:26 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:54 am A great many young people work online now, no need to go and hang around a "hostess" bar or KTV when you have decent internet and a Webcam and maybe a lovesense device connected via Bluetooth to your cash app inserted into all available orifices

I wish I was more techie, I think I am missing out by being so annalog.
no you dont miss out on anything...it aint the real Mc Coy
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic