Hotels in the redlight districts of Phnom Penh, Cambodia?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: Hotels in the redlight districts of Phnom Penh, Cambodia?

Post by Hotdigr »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pickled Parrot. While I'm far from on expert on redlight districts, I always thought street 104 was one of them?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:45 pm It continues to amaze me that many (most?) barangs come here (tourists and expats alike) and can't seem to get out of their home food.

I've always thought that one of the key attractions of visiting/living in an exotic asian country is to enjoy the local cuisine.. And it's not like khmer food is for many a challenge like perhaps thai food which is generally pretty chilli hot for westerners. Even at a fundamental level many expats I know seem to be averse to even eating rice as a starter...only bread/pasta/potatoes good for them..very limiting.

Go to places like Larrys, Lonestar, Garage bar, Brooklyn pizza, Cadillac (albeit managed by Irishman), Rising Sun et al and many american with brits and aussies thrown in. Go to french restaurants and its the same..mainly frogs. Chinese the same. A lot of brits go indian but that colonial hangover..

Why are ppl so stuck and not flexible? I just think they are missing out on a lot imo. I'm not advocating fully converting to asian/khmer food but personally the attraction for me here is the multitude of cuisines and I like to mix it up.

Anyway that's my rant for the day..
It's just down to preferences. For all you know that person you see eating foreign style food might have been eating Khmer food every day for the last month. I often eat local food at lunch or when meeting/ visiting people, and at various periods I've eaten little else for months at a time. Other times I don't eat it much at all. Phnom Penh has a good range of different food and I usually go for Indian/ Middle Eastern/ UK/ American/ Mexican food if I want to eat out or get a takeaway, the local food just doesn't do it for me a lot of the time. I nearly went crazy when I was in the countryside for about 5 days earlier this year. Every restaurant in the boonies seems to have the same boring food. Morning glory and duck knuckles, burnt bony chicken, steamed rice, baked fish, gnarly meatball soup. :x
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ronadurante
Tourist

Post by ronadurante »

PP definitely grew on me once I met a few expats, and I found a better hotel. I'm staying a few more days
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

finbar wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:16 pm
" (lots of bitter or fermented or 'off' notes). "
I've wondered about this before, eating fried rice or something cheap at one of the tourist-oriented places in Siem reap and it's o.k- but for this hint of "lingering aroma of rubbish pile", for a longtime i thought it was just something old had been put in the food but started to wonder if it was supposed to taste that way.
On the Thai vs Khmer food thing i find that in Thailand its hard to find bad local food whereas in Cambodia its hard to find good food. Great when you find it but generally rough. And in Thailand I never feel as though I am playing Russian roulette with food poisoning the way I do in Cambodia.
LOVE ASIA
Tourist
Australia

Re: Hotels in the redlight districts of pp

Post by LOVE ASIA »

ronadurante wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:23 pm City is a dump, I'm at the hometown hotel. I'm on a bus tomorrow, what a waste of a trip.
Any western food in this area?
Like an military operation, it pays to do the planning before you go. :)
SaigonBilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SaigonBilly »

8)
This is my second day here and from what I see the girls here are SEXY. Tried to look for the famed 'happy' pizza, had one last night for dinner and one this morning for breakfast, but 'no happy' just pizza. Lol :popcorn: .
Anyway it's heaven.

:smileinbox:
It's all good or or it's no good!
:D :evil6:
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

free weed
where
how
sklmeera wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:38 pm 'City is a dump' of course it is but who cares about that when theres free weed , chicks and cheap booze !
thru shit to more shit
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

markd wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:41 pm free weed
where
how
sklmeera wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:38 pm 'City is a dump' of course it is but who cares about that when theres free weed , chicks and cheap booze !
The cops at the police station on st174 corner st63 resell confiscated loads to barang. They're all in the game, it's not free but very cheap. Win/win. They sell to barang only as they couldn't trust locals. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.
Moltisanti72
Tourist
France

Post by Moltisanti72 »

logos wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:20 pm
markd wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:41 pm free weed
where
how
The cops at the police station on st174 corner st63 resell confiscated loads to barang. They're all in the game, it's not free but very cheap. Win/win. They sell to barang only as they couldn't trust locals. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.
This is the oldest joke about buying drugs but since this is cambodia everything is possible. Are you kidding?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Hotels in the redlight districts of pp

Post by pczz »

ronadurante wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:23 pm City is a dump, I'm at the hometown hotel. I'm on a bus tomorrow, what a waste of a trip.
Any western food in this area?
You come to PP for sex tourism, choose to stay in a cheap hotel in the middle of the "red light" district and then complain its a dump.
Have you tried staying in many red light districts in other countries? They are always the sleaziest ditriest part of town and to be fair PP is cleaner and less seedy than most like walking street, soho in London, Alte Kirke in amsterdam and reeperbahn in hamburg.
Western food in almost every restaurant in that area, mostly passable, some quite good
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic