Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

When we all like to come out and play...
Bars, clubs and pubs oh my!
PhnomRon
Expatriate
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:22 am
Karma: 17

Re: Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

Post by PhnomRon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:00 am

If it is such a bad idea why does everyone do it?
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Karma: 185
Location: The Kremlin
Russia

Re: Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

Post by vladimir » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:56 am

PhnomRon wrote:If it is such a bad idea why does everyone do it?
Ask a lemming. :lol:
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
wackyjacky
Expatriate
Posts: 1640
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:40 pm
Karma: 1

Re: Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

Post by wackyjacky » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:23 am

I was either a bartender, bar owner, restaurant owner, or wholesale booze salesman all my adult life. I was never fan of happy hrs because my joints were busy then anyway. However, if the lights are on, you're paying girls to be there, and all you have are empty stools - why the f*ck not ? If you're not making money on a 1/2 price drink you seriously need to pay attention to your pouring costs, pilferage, or both. Back in the States 20% PC is pretty much the industry standard. I would say the average pour in bars in PP is about half what I was used to back home. Booze in CMB is about 1/2 my wholesale price in the US, I can get a liter of Stoli in a store here for less than $10. It cost me around $23 if I bought a case in the US. I imagine PC should be around 10 or 12% here. Plus you might sell a few lady drinks & get a couple early barfines. Think about it this way, even if it just gets you an extra $30/day, that's $11K/year.
jah steu
Expatriate
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 6:02 pm
Karma: 24
Australia

Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

Post by jah steu » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:01 pm

wackyjacky wrote:I was either a bartender, bar owner, restaurant owner, or wholesale booze salesman all my adult life. I was never fan of happy hrs because my joints were busy then anyway. However, if the lights are on, you're paying girls to be there, and all you have are empty stools - why the f*ck not ? If you're not making money on a 1/2 price drink you seriously need to pay attention to your pouring costs, pilferage, or both. Back in the States 20% PC is pretty much the industry standard. I would say the average pour in bars in PP is about half what I was used to back home. Booze in CMB is about 1/2 my wholesale price in the US, I can get a liter of Stoli in a store here for less than $10. It cost me around $23 if I bought a case in the US. I imagine PC should be around 10 or 12% here. Plus you might sell a few lady drinks & get a couple early barfines. Think about it this way, even if it just gets you an extra $30/day, that's $11K/year.
I agree that it's sometimes better to have customers in the bar if you would otherwise be empty.

But no, I am not making money on a half price drink. Draft beer is about $0.40 per mug allowing for spillage etc. Our overhead costs per draft beer (rent, electricity, salaries etc) is about $0.75. So our actual cost is $1.15 per beer.

Typical happy hour prices are $0.50 or $0.75 per mug. Do I want to lose up to $0.65 for every beer I pour? Not really. And in my experience the happy hour drinkers are just there for the cheap beer, not the girls... they buy very few ladydrinks.

It may be a different scenario in a non-hostess bar but I don't know about them.
Why does everyone do happy hours? Because everyone else is and it superficially seems an easy way to increase business. But it doesn't increase profit.

As for the pour quantity, it's usually 50ml here in PP hostess bars. Are you saying it's 100ml in the States for a standard pour?
I think a usual shot there is 1.5 ounces? That's 44ml.
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 2950
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Karma: 367

Re: Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

Post by Kuroneko » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:05 pm

jah steu wrote:
wackyjacky wrote:I was either a bartender, bar owner, restaurant owner, or wholesale booze salesman all my adult life. I was never fan of happy hrs because my joints were busy then anyway. However, if the lights are on, you're paying girls to be there, and all you have are empty stools - why the f*ck not ? If you're not making money on a 1/2 price drink you seriously need to pay attention to your pouring costs, pilferage, or both. Back in the States 20% PC is pretty much the industry standard. I would say the average pour in bars in PP is about half what I was used to back home. Booze in CMB is about 1/2 my wholesale price in the US, I can get a liter of Stoli in a store here for less than $10. It cost me around $23 if I bought a case in the US. I imagine PC should be around 10 or 12% here. Plus you might sell a few lady drinks & get a couple early barfines. Think about it this way, even if it just gets you an extra $30/day, that's $11K/year.
I agree that it's sometimes better to have customers in the bar if you would otherwise be empty.

But no, I am not making money on a half price drink. Draft beer is about $0.40 per mug allowing for spillage etc. Our overhead costs per draft beer (rent, electricity, salaries etc) is about $0.75. So our actual cost is $1.15 per beer.

Typical happy hour prices are $0.50 or $0.75 per mug. Do I want to lose up to $0.65 for every beer I pour? Not really. And in my experience the happy hour drinkers are just there for the cheap beer, not the girls... they buy very few ladydrinks.

It may be a different scenario in a non-hostess bar but I don't know about them.
Why does everyone do happy hours? Because everyone else is and it superficially seems an easy way to increase business. But it doesn't increase profit.

As for the pour quantity, it's usually 50ml here in PP hostess bars. Are you saying it's 100ml in the States for a standard pour?
I think a usual shot there is 1.5 ounces? That's 44ml.
Interesting this variation in shot size. In Australia a single is 30ml. In USA its 44 mL (1.5 US fl oz), although there is no standard except in Utah,and they can vary from 1.25-1.5US fl oz. In the UK its 25ml or 35 ml (Shots sold on-premises must contain either 25 mL or 35 mL measures of whisky, gin, rum, or vodka, as defined in the Weights and Measures Act of 1985) In Germany a single is 20ml :shock: but South Korea its 60ml :beer: (source wiki) Here it seems to vary from 40ml - 50ml, but generally more likely to be 50ml.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 9449
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Karma: 448
Australia

Re: Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

Post by StroppyChops » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:28 pm

jah steu wrote:Mainly because it's lazy marketing and doesn't achieve anything.
I don't drink to a stupor, but happy hour (and discount sales, for that matter) irritate me as a consumer as they confirm the slippery nature of pricing.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taranis
Expatriate
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:24 pm
Karma: 0
Great Britain

Re: Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

Post by taranis » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:33 pm

404 Not Found
Last edited by taranis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Forgives. I don't!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Posts: 4065
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 1:06 pm
Karma: 351
Korea North

Re: Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

Post by kiwiincambodia » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:28 pm

So after opening night, can someone please do a review of angry birds bar.

Image
Check out my website for all things Kiwi in Cambodia at https://tiny.cc/j410iy
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 2950
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Karma: 367

Re: Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

Post by Kuroneko » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:41 pm

taranis wrote:
jah steu wrote: I agree that it's sometimes better to have customers in the bar if you would otherwise be empty.

But no, I am not making money on a half price drink. Draft beer is about $0.40 per mug allowing for spillage etc. Our overhead costs per draft beer (rent, electricity, salaries etc) is about $0.75. So our actual cost is $1.15 per beer.

Typical happy hour prices are $0.50 or $0.75 per mug. Do I want to lose up to $0.65 for every beer I pour? Not really. And in my experience the happy hour drinkers are just there for the cheap beer, not the girls... they buy very few ladydrinks.

It may be a different scenario in a non-hostess bar but I don't know about them.
Why does everyone do happy hours? Because everyone else is and it superficially seems an easy way to increase business. But it doesn't increase profit.

Regular parties and events should be promoted, there should be a reason to go to THAT bar. It always amazes me when a hostess bar has a party and free food, but there is no sign outside telling potential customers the food is for them and and NOT only the tuk tuk drivers! How many hostess bars have parties and only the regulars know about it, why oh why they don't tell the world is beyond me.
As Jah Steu noted, the focus for hostess bars may be different to non hostess bars, and I think it is. Why do people go to hostess bars? Is it for cheap beers, quiz nights free food, promotions or the quality of the girls. The focus of hostess bars is on the girls, and while some people go to quickly choose a girl and leave, the main focus and where the bars make their money is punters staying and buying drinks for themselves and the girls. Cheap promotions attract the wrong sort of clientelle. You dont want "baloon chasers", guys going with their mates and getting "ratted" causing problems and while engaging ladies not buying lady drinks. I know of customers that will spend $200 in a night on lady drinks including their own. One chap one night blew $500.Girls often make $300 a month on basic, drinks and tips without going with a customer. The customers are generally looking for a nice environment to "chat up" the girls. Parties while fun can ruin the atmosphere of the bar. A Khmer girl friend of mine who owns a bar had a birthday party recently and while everyone in the bar had agreat time not many of the girls made much that night as it attracted a lot of "cheap charlies" and while they had fun it was abit sad for the girls. Interesting to hear from a tourist perspective though, maybe their is a niche for a "party goers bar"
Last edited by Kuroneko on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Posts: 4065
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 1:06 pm
Karma: 351
Korea North

Re: Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

Post by kiwiincambodia » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:45 pm

So Jah Steu, no one took the bait for the indirect question.

How was opening night?

If you meet me in person you will know me by so no means disrespect, but what sets your new bar apart from your old bar?

If you say cleaner toilets I won't believe you. LOL
Check out my website for all things Kiwi in Cambodia at https://tiny.cc/j410iy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sidewalker, Whatsupdoc and 32 guests