First Watchmaking School Opens in Phnom Penh

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: First Watchmaking School Opens in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More from the article above: https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/04/prince ... bodia.html
“The school was conceived with the deepest respect to the Cambodian people,” explains school advisor Jessica Thakur. “When setting up the school, the Prince group was determined to offer the highest quality in all respects to the students – with no exceptions – who will be completely immersed and indoctrinated in the Swiss watchmaking culture.”

The school’s two-year programme has been designed according to the certificate fédéral de capacité (CFC), standards for vocational training defined by the Swiss government that are widely considered the industry norm for basic watchmaking education. The well-known and highly-regarded 3,000-hour programme at WOSTEP is based on the same CFC benchmarks.

Around four-fifths of the 3,400-hour curriculum is dedicated to a broad range of practical work, amongst other things milling, turning, burnishing, gear cutting, heat treatment for hardening and tempering steel, decoration and hand finishing, as well as regulation. Case and bracelet refinishing, done at the school’s fully-equipped polishing workshop, form another key part of the practical coursework.

At the same time, the course is also sensitive to the needs of its students, and aims to impart skills that will enable graduates to make a living as watchmakers. To that end, the course covers the servicing and repair of mechanical as well as quartz watches, up to the complexity of an automatic chronograph with calendar (an ETA Valjoux 7750 movement, in other words). Such work includes the obvious, like inspection, disassembly, and lubrication, but also higher-level skills like adjusting and fabricating components.

All that culminates in a final-year project, where each student will be expected to produce, adjust, and hand-finish a school watch.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I’ve had my Hamilton watch serviced in SHV years ago.
May be due to another.
People of the world, spice up your life.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Many of the expensive swiss watches share a swiss ETA movement which is a near monopoly when it comes to movements. So if the Swiss are the ones to educate the locals and the necessary equipment is in place there is a good chance that the project will become a successful one. Cambodia need to have highly skilled workers to further develop and this project seems to be a step in that direction.
work is for people who cant find truffles
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

truffledog wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:41 pm Many of the expensive swiss watches share a swiss ETA movement which is a near monopoly when it comes to movements. So if the Swiss are the ones to educate the locals and the necessary equipment is in place there is a good chance that the project will become a successful one. Cambodia need to have highly skilled workers to further develop and this project seems to be a step in that direction.
This. The skills learned in watchmaking can be utilised in many fields where precision skills are needed. For example in electronics, which most likely will be the next bigger step in the Cambodian industrialisation.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Duncan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:04 pm Hands up those that have had their watch cleaned or overhauled in the last ten years.

Watchmaking is a obsolete trade, along with many others.
Funny - just dropped mine off at the 'dealer' whilst in Bangkok last week because there is no shop in PP that can do them. BKK shop is a seller and branded shop, offered to do the service there, but I opted for the 'proper' service which takes three months and gets sent back to the factory for a full service. So yes, there is demand locally for decent watchmakers.

Been to an airport lately? Given the number of watch specific shops, it doesn't look like watches are obsolete to me.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

My best mate sat a 5 year apprenticeship in watch making with Warren Fisher [ Fishers the Jewlers ] At that time he was just one of about 10 watch makers employed by the company. https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrO6Op ... E3zoOYEHI-

Many years later he sold all his watchmaking tools and I asked him why. He told me 99% of customers now only want either a scratch remover off the face of their watch, a replacement battery installed , new watch strap to the watch or repair the old strap.

Another mate of mine sat a 5 year apprenticeship in the printing trade at a large newspaper business. Those were the days when lead lettering was placed on the print machine and the newspaper at that time employed hundreds of workers.

If anyone thinks those trades are going to come back you should start teaching students the art of making stone axes, throwing spears and how to make a fire by rubbing two sticks together.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's a big difference between printing/publishing which has been completely revolutionized over the past few decades due to advances in technology, and hand-crafted intricate time pieces which are still in great demand. Everyone knows you can get an iWatch that has a million more functions for a few hundred bucks, or a $5 thing that tells the time perfectly well but that's not the point.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

In my view anyone with a very expensive Swiss watch or similar has it more as a piece of jewelry.. or a statement if you like. I hardly ever put on a watch anymore as I have my phone on me always. I still have a nice Boss watch that sits in a drawer mostly unless I'm going to a special occasion or something.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:55 pm
If anyone thinks those trades are going to come back you should start teaching students the art of making stone axes, throwing spears and how to make a fire by rubbing two sticks together.
They’re not really comparable though are they.
They’ll always be niche markets.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:19 am In my view anyone with a very expensive Swiss watch or similar has it more as a piece of jewelry.. or a statement if you like. I hardly ever put on a watch anymore as I have my phone on me always. I still have a nice Boss watch that sits in a drawer mostly unless I'm going to a special occasion or something.
In a drawer!

Mine are in the watch winder safe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic