First Watchmaking School Opens in Phnom Penh

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: First Watchmaking School Opens in Phnom Penh

Post by John Bingham »

Duncan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:04 pm Hands up those that have had their watch cleaned or overhauled in the last ten years.

Watchmaking is a obsolete trade, along with many others.
Well Duncan, your comment aged like milk. As for the new comments, I know most of you don't live here or have any investment in the country, and would prefer if Cambodia stuck with exporting rice and forest products, but meanwhile the country is striving forward without your negative influence.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:03 pm
Duncan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:04 pm Hands up those that have had their watch cleaned or overhauled in the last ten years.

Watchmaking is a obsolete trade, along with many others.
Well Duncan, your comment aged like milk. As for the new comments, I know most of you don't live here or have any investment in the country, and would prefer if Cambodia stuck with exporting rice and forest products, but meanwhile the country is striving forward without your negative influence.
Wtf? You think I want Cambodia stuck in the past? I have negative influence?
You know in my lessons I introduced students to medical advances, micro ai developments, smart dust, cyber threats as a medical emergency and shit? Hoping that the passion I had when talking about that stuff would maybe entice someone to look into it in their spare time?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

There is more than enough swiss luxury watches around in Cambodia to be serviced as scheduled. Now those wachtes dont need to be sent abroad anymore. Well done in my eyes.
work is for people who cant find truffles
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

violet wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:59 pm
HE, who has ruled Cambodia for 37 years, has faced public scrutiny in recent years after being photographed wearing luxury watches, including by Patek Philippe and Richard Mille, that cost more than $1 million each
And still countries throw aid money at Cambodia (I know - it’s of interest to those countries to have ‘an in’ to Cambodia because of that money, but this is blood boiling.)

Anyway.

I wonder how those students ended up on the course - chosen, encouraged, etc. not even one female - maybe females had more sense, maybe females weren’t considered for the course.
It doesn’t seem like the type of career that would have parents of the future encouraging their children into - ahead of doctors and lawyers etc.
Servicing high end watches can be very lucrative profession. Even $1000 / hour billing is not unheard of.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:05 pm
violet wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:59 pm
HE, who has ruled Cambodia for 37 years, has faced public scrutiny in recent years after being photographed wearing luxury watches, including by Patek Philippe and Richard Mille, that cost more than $1 million each
And still countries throw aid money at Cambodia (I know - it’s of interest to those countries to have ‘an in’ to Cambodia because of that money, but this is blood boiling.)

Anyway.

I wonder how those students ended up on the course - chosen, encouraged, etc. not even one female - maybe females had more sense, maybe females weren’t considered for the course.
It doesn’t seem like the type of career that would have parents of the future encouraging their children into - ahead of doctors and lawyers etc.
Servicing high end watches can be very lucrative profession. Even $1000 / hour billing is not unheard of.
Not bad! Probably not too many a week needing servicing in Cambodia though - I can’t imagine there are too many in many cities outside of the Middle East, south of France etc (violet demonstrates she has little insight into owners of million dollar watches)
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

violet wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:02 pm Not bad! Probably not too many a week needing servicing in Cambodia though - I can’t imagine there are too many in many cities outside of the Middle East, south of France etc (violet demonstrates she has little insight into owners of million dollar watches)
Dont need to be million dollar watches... a "few thousands" watch is enough to need service and repair. Watch lovers generall tend to have more than one, some even have collections. A nice mecanical watch with complications is still one of the best ways to show off.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Took their time. :D
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

It amazes me how one small story can bring out so much negativity and pointless anger.

5 years ago no local owned a dog lead. Or a bicycle for leisure. Or posts on FB about looking after their local environment. Or pimping their moto.

It’s Cambodians time to shine.
People of the world, spice up your life.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

In-Depth: Cambodia’s First Watchmaking School
A first-rate education in Phnom Penh.
Date 2020.04.20
Written By JX Su (SJX)
[excerpts]
When I first got wind of the newly-opened watchmaking school in Cambodia, I was surprised. And when I found out the school was a world-class institution fully equipped with brand-new, top-of-the-line equipment and staffed by veteran instructors from Switzerland, with local students studying for free – I was sceptical.

I am ashamed to admit, I was wrong. There is a world-class watchmaking school in Phnom Penh, one with ambitions that go well beyond merely training technicians to overhaul watches. Freshly set up and filled with the very best equipment – including brand-new, full-spec Schaublin lathes and the latest Leica microscopes – the Prince Horology Vocational Training Center is a no-expense-spared project that’s likely the most impressive watchmaking academy outside of Switzerland.

Backed by a local real estate conglomerate, the school will conduct a two-year programme similar to the de facto industry standard, the 3,000-hour course offered by Swiss academy WOSTEP (short for Watchmakers of Switzerland Training and Educational Program).

Both theoretical and practical, the school’s syllabus encompasses the theoretical, for instance lessons on the history and culture of watchmaking, as well as benchwork, including machining, micro-mechanics, and production of components like the winding stem and balance staff. At the same time, because the school is the brainchild of timepiece collectors who value artisanal watchmaking, it will also emphasise traditional, artisanal skills, like decoration and turning.

Now in its third round of admissions interviews and tests, the school will start its term in early June 2020 (though the COVID-19 coronavirus might delay that), with the inaugural class of eight students graduating in 2022, becoming the first watchmakers in Cambodia trained in their native country.

For cultural and historical reasons, the people of Cambodia are well suited to watchmaking, despite it being a completely new vocation. The country has a rich history of woodworking and stone carving – exemplified by the magnificent treasures in the ancient city of Angkor built by the Khmer Empire.
Full article: https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/04/prince ... bodia.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

truffledog wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:32 pm Dont need to be million dollar watches... a "few thousands" watch is enough to need service and repair. Watch lovers generall tend to have more than one, some even have collections. A nice mecanical watch with complications is still one of the best ways to show off.
^ Agree with truffledog.
I think that if these Cambodian watchmakers and cleaners/repairers are really Swiss-schooled, and are as good as they claim, (and it looks pro), then maybe people in SEA with money might actually send their watches off to Cambodia to be serviced. It could be a promising niche market.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic