"owning" property via mortgage to Khmer

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
mi1
Tourist
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:09 pm
Reputation: 2
Belarus

"owning" property via mortgage to Khmer

Post by mi1 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:00 pm

Hello,
My friend (non Khmer) mentioned that he bought a house in PhnomPenh using this scheme.

- Officially loaned money to his Khmer partner (mortgage to house)
- So the house is under his Khmer's partner name
- House ownership documents states that house is under mortgage (which means it cannot be sold until all paid)
- He said used foreign law agency to do that..

Has anyone heard anything about this scheme ? Is it legal after all to do official personal loans.. and put this kind of things into house ownership documents ?
The risks are still there. Khmer owner can still kick you out from house but will be he actually not able to sell it until pay.. that's the question. Any thoughts ?
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 2909
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 1081
Cambodia

Re: "owning" property via mortgage to Khmer

Post by Kammekor » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:07 pm

mi1 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:00 pm
Hello,
My friend (non Khmer) mentioned that he bought a house in PhnomPenh using this scheme.

- Officially loaned money to his Khmer partner (mortgage to house)
- So the house is under his Khmer's partner name
- House ownership documents states that house is under mortgage (which means it cannot be sold until all paid)
- He said used foreign law agency to do that..

Has anyone heard anything about this scheme ? Is it legal after all to do official personal loans.. and put this kind of things into house ownership documents ?
The risks are still there. Khmer owner can still kick you out from house but will be he actually not able to sell it until pay.. that's the question. Any thoughts ?
Cambodian banks will keep the original title as a collateral for the loan. If they think anything else isn't sufficient, I think something mentioned in 'the house ownership documents' (which documents?) won't do.
explorer
Expatriate
Posts: 2417
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:37 pm
Reputation: 765
Australia

Re: "owning" property via mortgage to Khmer

Post by explorer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:11 pm

mi1 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:00 pm
Any thoughts ?
Don't
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
User avatar
Freightdog
Expatriate
Posts: 853
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 am
Reputation: 514
Ireland

Re: "owning" property via mortgage to Khmer

Post by Freightdog » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:14 pm

explorer wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:11 pm
mi1 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:00 pm
Any thoughts ?
Don't
Any elaboration, objective and constructive, ideally?
we Remember
So Their sacrifice is never forgotten
samrong01
Expatriate
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 pm
Reputation: 144
New Zealand

Re: "owning" property via mortgage to Khmer

Post by samrong01 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:10 am

Yes this is a valid method to control land in Cambodia. There is no law against foreigners holding mortgages over land. The downside is that if the property increases in value then you only get the amount in the mortgage unless you have provisions in it to accumulate interest over the years. This could have tax implications.
Its better to also have a lease back on the land as the legal owner can chuck you out to enjoy "quiet possession". A lease can also have tax implications since registered leases are taxed.
User avatar
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:24 pm
Reputation: 124

Re: "owning" property via mortgage to Khmer

Post by Sweet Lemon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:07 am

samrong01 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:10 am
The downside is that if the property increases in value then you only get the amount in the mortgage unless you have provisions in it to accumulate interest over the years.
Isn't "the Khmer partner can kick you out of the house" also a downside?
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 8151
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 2336
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: "owning" property via mortgage to Khmer

Post by Duncan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:46 am

Sweet Lemon wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:07 am
samrong01 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:10 am
The downside is that if the property increases in value then you only get the amount in the mortgage unless you have provisions in it to accumulate interest over the years.
Isn't "the Khmer partner can kick you out of the house" also a downside?
Or the partner could get 6 tuk-tuk drivers to make a complaint about the taste of pies and have you deported .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 3534
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 727

Re: "owning" property via mortgage to Khmer

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:27 pm

There's no need for a law firm to get involved. All they do is take your cash. Just deal directly with the owner and bank.


Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:55 pm
Reputation: 80
Australia

Re: "owning" property via mortgage to Khmer

Post by offroadscholar » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:02 pm

mi1 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:00 pm
Hello,
My friend (non Khmer) mentioned that he bought a house in PhnomPenh using this scheme.

- Officially loaned money to his Khmer partner (mortgage to house)
- So the house is under his Khmer's partner name
- House ownership documents states that house is under mortgage (which means it cannot be sold until all paid)
- He said used foreign law agency to do that..

Has anyone heard anything about this scheme ? Is it legal after all to do official personal loans.. and put this kind of things into house ownership documents ?
The risks are still there. Khmer owner can still kick you out from house but will be he actually not able to sell it until pay.. that's the question. Any thoughts ?
Complications could occur when its time to sell. What is the agreed consideration that the Khmer partner gets from any sale ?
It cant be sold without the Khmer partner fronting up with their ID and thumb printing the transfer documents etc.
This is where they have leverage on you. They can become too busy, sick, unavailable etc until a better deal for them is offered.
samrong01
Expatriate
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 pm
Reputation: 144
New Zealand

Re: "owning" property via mortgage to Khmer

Post by samrong01 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:35 am

Offroadscholar is right of course. Whatever method is used there is no risk-free way for a foreigner to hold land in Cambodia. Every method always involves trusting a Khmer person. The only relatively risk-free solution is to buy an apartment which foreigners are allowed to own.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 77 guests