What brought you here? What made you stay?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
User avatar
Hotdigr
Expatriate
Posts: 959
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm
Karma: 50

Re: What brought you here? What made you stay?

Postby Hotdigr » Sat May 31, 2014 12:12 pm

Long story short - jaded with life in Oz. Had decided on Indo. Broke my back at work and can't surf anymore, so there goes Indo as I couldn't stand watching people surf and not being able to myself. Came to Cambo to visit my new niece. Fell in love with Sihanoukville - the beach lifestyle but no surf to tease me.
Why I stay - great lifestyle, great relationship, good job, good friends, it's my home, why would I wan't to leave it?
User avatar
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 9:04 pm
Karma: 0
Location: Phnom Penh
Australia

Re: What brought you here? What made you stay?

Postby Mrs Stroppy » Sat May 31, 2014 1:05 pm

Jaap N. wrote:
Mrs Stroppy wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
vladimir wrote:I was sent here.
Me too. God sent me.
Us
Is that the Royal 'Us'? :mrgreen:
Well Stroppychops did claim to be an exiled Nigerian prince in another thread... Yes we're here because God sent us
Using Tapatalk
User avatar
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 7:25 am
Karma: 2

Re: What brought you here? What made you stay?

Postby Satiated Parrot » Sat May 31, 2014 3:27 pm

Was a post removed from this thread?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Posts: 889
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:42 pm
Karma: 0
Netherlands

Re: What brought you here? What made you stay?

Postby Jaap N. » Sat May 31, 2014 4:03 pm

Mrs Stroppy wrote:
Jaap N. wrote:
Mrs Stroppy wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
vladimir wrote:I was sent here.
Me too. God sent me.
Us
Is that the Royal 'Us'? :mrgreen:
Well Stroppychops did claim to be an exiled Nigerian prince in another thread... Yes we're here because God sent us
And here I am thinking that there was no such thing as a God. I'm glad you showed me The Way. Thank you. :Yahoo!:
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Posts: 889
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:42 pm
Karma: 0
Netherlands

Re: What brought you here? What made you stay?

Postby Jaap N. » Sat May 31, 2014 4:04 pm

Satiated Parrot wrote:Was a post removed from this thread?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
What makes you say that?
User avatar
General Mackevili
GONK
Posts: 12192
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Karma: 157
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: What brought you here? What made you stay?

Postby General Mackevili » Sat May 31, 2014 5:16 pm

Satiated Parrot wrote:Was a post removed from this thread?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
I seriously doubt it.



For the record though, if your post is the last (meaning nobody has yet to post after you), you can DELETE your own post.

Maybe that's what happened?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Looking for the best deals on hotels and guesthouses in Cambodia?

Book through Agoda:

Phnom Penh
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Kampot
Koh Rong
User avatar
Dara
Expatriate
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 7:38 am
Karma: 0

Re: What brought you here? What made you stay?

Postby Dara » Sat May 31, 2014 5:25 pm

and if someone posts while you were composing,

when you hit "submit" it takes you to another page showing
the post and asking if you still want to post........you have to
click "submit" again or your post will be lost.
milkncereal
Tourist
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 7:59 am
Karma: 0

Re: What brought you here? What made you stay?

Postby milkncereal » Sat May 31, 2014 8:59 pm

Brought me here: easy visa and the internet said it was cheap.

Made me stay: how cheap it is, and how easy it is to renew my visa
User avatar
dagenham
Expatriate
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 pm
Karma: 0
Great Britain

Re: What brought you here? What made you stay?

Postby dagenham » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:18 am

I'm truly flabbergasted at the high number of peeps citing "visa" as the #1 reason for staying here. What an inane reason for choosing a place to live long-term (or for the rest of your days). All other SEA countries have visa rules that can be dealt with in some way (VN, Laos, Thailand, etc.) - mostly by getting a job or crossing the border once in awhile.

Surely the visa should be factor, but not the primary motivating one. It appears that all those people don't really have a "real engaged life" here. It's the only country that they can find that will let them stay easily. Frankly, this is astounding to me as it basically devalues all the other legitimate and valid reasons to live in Cambodia. There are myriad characteristics of Cambodia that influence me to stay here. The visa is way down my personal list.
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Karma: 40

Re: What brought you here? What made you stay?

Postby Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:16 pm

dagenham wrote:I'm truly flabbergasted at the high number of peeps citing "visa" as the #1 reason for staying here. What an inane reason for choosing a place to live long-term (or for the rest of your days). All other SEA countries have visa rules that can be dealt with in some way (VN, Laos, Thailand, etc.) - mostly by getting a job or crossing the border once in awhile.

Surely the visa should be factor, but not the primary motivating one. It appears that all those people don't really have a "real engaged life" here. It's the only country that they can find that will let them stay easily. Frankly, this is astounding to me as it basically devalues all the other legitimate and valid reasons to live in Cambodia. There are myriad characteristics of Cambodia that influence me to stay here. The visa is way down my personal list.
I have to agree. I never even bothered researching the visa situation until after my first trip. I'd essentially decided to live here (or at least, try it out temporarily) before even looking into visas. Might not have been so wise, but I lucked out I guess. However, I can understand why retirees or people who do freelance work (writers, IT consultants etc) might want to narrow down their "living abroad" choices based on visa requirements.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus


  • Advertisement
Booking.com

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Ask the Expats (Questions & Answers)”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests