My first solo visa run

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: My first solo visa run

Post by rozzieoz »

Thanks for that confirmation everyone :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

Don't worry about it..
if some dude said you couldn't do it alone...he is beyond a putz...
I live in Siem Reap and if I had to go on this type of mission...I would just hang in Thailand for the night.
The $8 small bus is my preferred mode of travel on city to city jaunts...for sure!
Take a small bag and ENJOY THE ADVENTURE..
The entry card is the same card I fill out when I fly out and return home...they staple it in your passport.
You can do it and have a great time.
Years ago, I would take a ferry across the Rio Plata from Buenos Aires to Montevideo to do the same thing..I could return the same day..But, it was great fun to enjoy Uruguay a day or two.
Have fun...
I sure thought naysayer dudes were a myth..
fuck em..
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

j57 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:36 pm Don't worry about it..
if some dude said you couldn't do it alone...he is beyond a putz...
I live in Siem Reap and if I had to go on this type of mission...I would just hang in Thailand for the night.
The $8 small bus is my preferred mode of travel on city to city jaunts...for sure!
Take a small bag and ENJOY THE ADVENTURE..
The entry card is the same card I fill out when I fly out and return home...they staple it in your passport.
You can do it and have a great time.
Years ago, I would take a ferry across the Rio Plata from Buenos Aires to Montevideo to do the same thing..I could return the same day..But, it was great fun to enjoy Uruguay a day or two.
Have fun...
I sure thought naysayer dudes were a myth..
fuck em..
Thank you! :)
I am actually looking forward to it, I went to Battambang recently on the bus and enjoyed the trip.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I never have been to Poipet and crossed by land.
I think I would find a place to stay on booking.com or something like it in Thailand.
I have been using bookmebus lately for bus bookings...
Have fun and a safe trip.
Tom G Baal
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Tom G Baal »

I went to Poipet 8 months ago with a hotel booking confirmation for one night in Aranyaprathet, and was refused entry. The angry woman in the glass cage looked at the expiry date of my current visa and yelled at me for doing a visa run then refused entry. Already stamped out of Cambodia, that no mans land was not very comforting as the sun began to set. I managed to make it over the boarder by booking the cheapest hostel I could find in Bangkok for two more days. I think flying is a much safer option.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Wish you a happy time on your trip and a good result.

Don't forget the duty free tequila.

And don't forget to come back!
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

Tom G Baal wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:24 pm I went to Poipet 8 months ago with a hotel booking confirmation for one night in Aranyaprathet, and was refused entry. The angry woman in the glass cage looked at the expiry date of my current visa and yelled at me for doing a visa run then refused entry. Already stamped out of Cambodia, that no mans land was not very comforting as the sun began to set. I managed to make it over the boarder by booking the cheapest hostel I could find in Bangkok for two more days. I think flying is a much safer option.

These Thai customs are worst than animals.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

The Thais at Aranyaprathet insist that you fill in an address in Thailand on arrival. If you are just crossing the border for the day you have to put something. I was just going to the market so they said I had to write "Rong Kleua Market" as an address. There is a small hotel within walking distance of the border. I have not been inside but from the outside it looks fairly modern. I presume you are aware you can only cross the land border twice in a calendar year.

If you like shopping the border market is great and way cheaper than Cambodia - many Siem Reap traders go there to buy stock. Its even cheaper than Bangkok for a lot of things.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Tom G Baal wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:24 pm I went to Poipet 8 months ago with a hotel booking confirmation for one night in Aranyaprathet, and was refused entry. The angry woman in the glass cage looked at the expiry date of my current visa and yelled at me for doing a visa run then refused entry. Already stamped out of Cambodia, that no mans land was not very comforting as the sun began to set. I managed to make it over the boarder by booking the cheapest hostel I could find in Bangkok for two more days. I think flying is a much safer option.
dont belive you, tell the whole story, so refused entry with a Aranyaprathet hotel booking BUT and than allowed in cause u put a Bangkok hotel address. Yea right>> :please: 4+ hours away> No mans land is all less than 200 meters

PS: if you were not overstay in Cambodia, they will let you back in ( cancel ur exit stamp on ur Cambodian visa) if ur refused entry into Thailand.

Make sure you put a hotel address for Aranyaprathet on ur arrival card ( even if ur not staying there).
use booking.com for a place to stay. Whenever /wherever you enter thailand at any border or by air, you need put in an address where your staying.
Never stayed in Aranyaprathet as gf aunt lives in Poi Pet so we stay with her. But there are a few inexpensive hotels 50 meters- - 3 kms from the border all on the main road.

Note, you wait in the heat for Cambodian immigration but Thailand immigration is aircon. :-) which is good as this is the main border for the Khmer migrant workers to cross.
Star plaza on ur left as you enter Thailand is nice for a coffee, forget the Rongkleua market as its mostly for the Khmer dealers buying stuff to take to Cambodia
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Oh yes I forgot - you wait in the heat for Cambodian immigration but if there is a long queue you may notice an officer waiting nearby. You can approach him and for 200 baht you can go through instantly. This only works on the Cambodian side both leaving and arriving. Do not try it with the Thais. For some reason the Cambodian officers prefer baht.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic