My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Post by GMJS-CEO »

stupid-barang wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:32 pm The censorship on this forum is just about right by Cambodian standards. Derogatory speculation, hahaha ha.

Really? Who the fuck cares, she sounds like a typical whore.
She sounds like a typical whore? Relax

And why post “who cares” when by your action of posting it is evident that you do.
stupid-barang
Expatriate

Post by stupid-barang »

Trying to be a good expat I self edited and now you put me out. I don't really care, it's just that I was in a former position that rubbed elbows with the 'elite' and it seems they all have the same m.o., we could exchange 'who cares' with 'get a fucking clue'.

Come we know the drill. If he was giving her money, she would not have to take these type of jobs. Who let's their girl go spend the night with random people. Even if it was for $500 we know the deal.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

She is going to get a million different variations of all these scenarios.
And if she is bright and attractive, even "good guys" will try their damdest.
It might be an idea for you both to really talk this thru. I doubt if it is going to be just a minor issue,

Easiest way is to set some really safe, professional limits., include them as part of the written induction material - and stick to them strictly
Coffee and dinners are going to leave lots of wriggle room for a sleazebag. If he knows exactly where he stands and that she is professional, he is less likely to try it on. Firm limits make it easier for both parties.

Any chance of injecting a third, or more, person into the equation - especially in the evenings?

(her mother? chuckle)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

stupid-barang wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:32 pm The censorship on this forum is just about right by Cambodian standards. Derogatory speculation, hahaha ha.

Really? Who the fuck cares, she sounds like a typical whore.
:BangHead: You must have some great relationships with women.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Thanks everyone for their input...
SternAAlbifrons wrote:She is going to get a million different variations of all these scenarios.
And if she is bright and attractive, even "good guys" will try their damdest.
It might be an idea for you both to really talk this thru. I doubt if it is going to be just a minor issue,

Easiest way is to set some really safe, professional limits., include them as part of the written induction material - and stick to them strictly
Coffee and dinners are going to leave lots of wriggle room for a sleazebag. If he knows exactly where he stands and that she is professional, he is less likely to try it on. Firm limits make it easier for both parties.

Any chance of injecting a third, or more, person into the equation - especially in the evenings?

(her mother? chuckle)
I'll do this.. I think having a "curfew" is appropriate. And if you are done with your clients don't need to meet them again. Just tell them you are busy...
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Approaching this from another angle....
I can see how both S1 and S2 would help get her some great reviews as a new guide. Done with professional detachment it could work well.
S3.. no way would that ever be acceptable .. ever.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

IraHayes wrote:Approaching this from another angle....
I can see how both S1 and S2 would help get her some great reviews as a new guide. Done with professional detachment it could work well.
S3.. no way would that ever be acceptable .. ever.
Sure. But incase of #1
Since it's already "late" she could pick him up and drop him off at the hotel and tell him she'll see him in the morning around breakfast to go over the itinerary.

And incase of #2
The client had a good day and the day he left he asked her for a coffee. He had a great day already and wouldn't take offense if she says she is busy with work and still give a great review based on the first day.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Some prostitutes use the "tour guide" thing in here or Vietnam to attract customers (not for a tour)

So maybe some guys coming in here think "tour guide" = prostitute
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I get Ira's point ^^ people do like some informal time with a guide if they get on well.

Maybe offer a "dinner or drink with the family" option for these occasions?
Or something else super-safe with other people.
Personally, i would set a strict; NO one-on-one, tete et tete's after dark. At all.
Easier for everybody, including your own peace of mind.

I hope you can make it work, she sounds like a bright go-getting young woman. Good find.
Interesting job and she could make good money. Best of luck.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

To me it sounds like she’s maybe trying too hard to build a good reputation as a tour guide, and some reasoned thinking and discussion is in order.

To those who simply want to label any Khmer female, or any female for that matter, in such negative tones- isn’t it time that a different record was played, or maybe just move on?
Seriously, the school boy rationale that some folk let guide them through life beggars belief. I suspect you’re the same folk who think that a women who won’t have sex on a first date is frigid, that any woman who won’t shag you is a lesbian, and any that dumped you are whores.

To the OP- far too many replies that you’ll get on here are just as likely to ruin your relationship if you give them too much credit as any improper conduct on her part.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic